Need help with 6th grade science question

6,313 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Shawdaddy
sjn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread is great.

I felt this way numerous times growing up. Part of the test is being able to figure what the teacher was thinking when they wrote the question.
fav13andac1)c
AG
In 4th grade, I made 100s on every single one of my blind spelling tests except one. I thought the teacher said "cumin" but she said "human" and counted it wrong.
Raptor
AG
I teach sixth grade science.

I'd answer "rotate" for the OP and the ice cube/turkey question should get someone fired.

Edited for stupidity!
reb,
AG
quote:

I'd answer "revolve" for the OP and the ice cube/turkey question should get someone fired.
You at least feel ashamed that you would answer 'revolve', right? You a cutter? You might do some cuttin. Cut that stupid right outta ya.
Raptor
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd answer "revolve" for the OP and the ice cube/turkey question should get someone fired.
You at least feel ashamed that you would answer 'revolve', right? You a cutter? You might do some cuttin. Cut that stupid right outta ya.

I'm human.
TexasRebel
AG
The earth ages as it moves around the sun.
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
I had a biology teacher in high school that gave us a 75 question test and weighted the questions as -1.5 for each missed.

Her logic being that 50 questions are worth 2 points each and 100 questions are 1 point each. 75 is halfway between, so they must be 1.5 points each.

9th grade Thomas calmly stated his case (as far as I remember... I might have been a little condescending), but she stood her ground and said she could grade however she wanted. Fair enough. The principal, however, did not agree with her on that. She had to recalculate everyone's grades and apologize to me.

Sweet justice.
SeattleAgJr
91AggieLawyer
AG
I had a 4th grade classroom teacher that got on a couple of guys in class and told them they had to do something. I don't recall specifics. Neither were troublemakers and one didn't hear or understand her the first time, so he asked: "what do you want me and Eddie to do?" The teacher came back and said she didn't want "me and Eddie" to do anything. He rephrased, "what do you want Eddie and ME to do?" (This, of course, is correct grammer). She did the same thing, insisting on the "he and I" language even when it doesn't apply.

Teachers aren't perfect, and many of them aren't particularly well educated.

My wife is not a classroom teacher but has been asked to teach, at various times, math, science, and history. Good grief, I feel sorry for those kids!
Predmid
AG
I fear the day I have kids and put them in school and run into teachers and tests like this.
Elu11
AG
Really sad to say this, but these issues are because the brightest minds of our country's workforce aren't becoming teachers or writing elementary school tests. The people that are educating our kids and writing their non-standardized tests are the ones you went to college with and thought, "THOSE people are going to be the future educators of America?"
Predmid
AG
You could replace "teacher" with "police officer" and be no less accurate.
thaed137
AG
Mine was actually when I worked in a Lab as a young college intern. The process stated to mix the solution at (1/4)A and (3/4)B or a 1:4 ratio. I asked the lab manager which one it should of been since they weren't the same. We argued for an hour over this. I was so dumbfounded he couldn't realize that a 1:4 ration had 5 total parts therefore would be 1/5 A and 4/5 B. I tend not to buy those pharmaceutical drugs anymore.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Mine was actually when I worked in a Lab as a young college intern. The process stated to mix the solution at (1/4)A and (3/4)B or a 1:4 ratio. I asked the lab manager which one it should of been since they weren't the same. We argued for an hour over this. I was so dumbfounded he couldn't realize that a 1:4 ration had 5 total parts therefore would be 1/5 A and 4/5 B. I tend not to buy those pharmaceutical drugs anymore.
I sincerely hope you notified the FDA.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:

This is a face palm if I have ever heard of one. This is one of the most basic teachings anyone that ever has anything to do with a lab learns from day one.

Like having a cop not know their Miranda rights or short order cook not knowing how to crack eggs.
et98
AG
quote:
quote:

This is a face palm if I have ever heard of one. This is one of the most basic teachings anyone that ever has anything to do with a lab learns from day one.

Like having a cop not know their Miranda rights or short order cook not knowing how to crack eggs.

LOL
double aught
AG
I'm with you on the first one, but that second mistake is debatable at best.
Shawdaddy
AG
When I was in second grade, we had an assignment where we had to draw a line on an object to divide it in half. On the square, I drew the line diagonally, and got it wrong. Apparently that pissed my father off pretty badly, and they had some words with the teacher.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.