WIndows 10

12,511 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by millertyme
Mule_lx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you can explain to us the pros and cons for us non-computer geniuses? Explain it to us like we're 5.
coppag92
AG
Okay......

coppag92
AG
Seriously though, I would like to know too.

• What features are you losing from previous versions?
  • I have read there is no media player?
  • Is this really like Windows 7?
  • Have all the bugs been worked out and is it stable?
  • What is advantage of going to Windows 10 and is it worth it?
I would hate to download it only to figure out it has problems and would have been better off with Windows 7
Yellerjacket
I upgraded this morning. No problems so far. Windows Media Player is still there.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
The nine most important updates in Windows 10
Windows 10 review: the best of Windows 7 and 8
Windows 10 vs. OS X El Capitan: Why Microsoft Wins

Some items in no particular order
1) Free upgrade
2) Start Menu - combo of Windows 7 and 8
3) Cortana - Siri-type voice command system
4) Edge Browser - replacing IE, you can draw on the browser screen
5) Quick Startup - we'll see about that without a SSD
6) One stop Windows store - have to see it to know how much better it will be
7) Built in apps have been improved and easier to handle as a desktop window
8) Continuum - Windows transforms to whatever your KB/touch interface allows best.

I will probably upgrade some secondary touchscreen 10" tablet PC's that have removable keyboards to Windows 10. If it is not touchscreen I will think a little more about the upgrade. I have a year to decide for free upgrade.
TexasRebel
AG
Wifi sense is pissing me off

I do not want to change my SSID to include _optout just because Microsoft wants to control the world.
tlepoC
AG
I upgraded last night. Black screen with movable cursor on boot. Haven't had time to fiddle but I'm imaging its just display drivers hiccups
chipotle
Second machine I'm installing on not finding the video card driver. Defaulting to windows graphics. 1000x700 res baby!
Olag00
AG
quote:

I do not want to change my SSID to include _optout just because Microsoft wants to control the world.
I think there are some "jump the gun" tech people that see this wifi sense and think it is automatically set. It isn't. You have to check the box if you want to "share network with contacts"...

See this post...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-windows-10s-wi-fi-sense-feature-is-not-a-security-risk/

Pman17
AG
Another key feature to mention... XBOX
They're doing Games for Windows right this time. Xbox One and PC will go hand in hand with Windows 10. Pretty soon, some games will work on both systems and you don't have to buy the game for each system. An example would be Angry Birds even though it's not universal or yet. Play the game on your phone, pick back up to where you left off on your TV, or PC/Surface Pro. You will also be able to play PC gamers on Xbox if you choose to accept that challenge. Achievements will be more prominent universally. The new Age of Empires Castle Siege on the iPhone gets you Xbox achievements.

Also it has Direct X 12
Madmarttigan
AG
Not going to lie, my computer is doing way better on a couple of games with windows 10 graphics/fps wise.
TexasRebel
AG
I'm not worried about sharing it... A MAC whitelist filter works just fine.

I don't want to add _optout to my SSID to keep it out of their register.

That is not just a checkbox. Look into it.
DeangeloVickers
AG
So far so good for me.
TracerX
quote:
quote:

I think there are some "jump the gun" tech people that see this wifi sense and think it is automatically set. It isn't. You have to check the box if you want to "share network with contacts"...

See this post...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-windows-10s-wi-fi-sense-feature-is-not-a-security-risk/

Sorry, I have far too many computer illiterate friends that I let on my network. Just because I'll let them on doesn't mean I want all their friends on and a lot of people just click "Yes" to everything with no clue what they've just done.
Olag00
AG
Does it actually water fall like that where you let friends on then if they are on it their friends can see it?

I forget there are computer challenged people and might check that box just for the sake of checking a box.
Olag00
AG
I see what you are saying, I did not know about this little snippet:

quote:

Wi-Fi Sense stores your Wi-Fi network password on a Microsoft server. It's encrypted, so if a hacker were to break in, your password would appear as garbled text. And Windows 10 does not allow you to share access to corporate Wi-Fi networks that use special security protocols.
I would hope it only gets stored if you check the box and not if the box never gets checked.

Also I found the answer to my above question about friends of friends accessing the network:

quote:
And when your friends connect via Wi-Fi Sense, they won't then, in turn, be able to share your network with their friends.

I probably see a patch from Microsoft removing this feature much like they added the start menu back to Windows 8 after that backlash. Not saying the start menu is same as this but they did sort of listen to the complaints.

Other than this bit I really like Windows 10.
MEENAGGIE09
AG
I have looked, and will continue to - but if anyone finds out how to change the taskbar search to use Google instead of Bing then post here please.

I installed 10 on my computer at home, so I can't mess with it now but will look this weekend if I can't find something on the web before then.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
How long did it take from asking for Windows10 to getting a download link?
Or is that how it works?
Olag00
AG
i didn't wait for the download link to be sent to my computer...if you google "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" you can download the tool, either 32 or 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Not sure if anyone has had success selecting "keep personal files and apps" but when I did that I got the "black screen of death" and it restored back to 8.1. The next time I chose "dont keep anything" and did a clean install and it worked.
TracerX
quote:
I see what you are saying, I did not know about this little snippet:

quote:

Wi-Fi Sense stores your Wi-Fi network password on a Microsoft server. It's encrypted, so if a hacker were to break in, your password would appear as garbled text. And Windows 10 does not allow you to share access to corporate Wi-Fi networks that use special security protocols.
I would hope it only gets stored if you check the box and not if the box never gets checked.

Also I found the answer to my above question about friends of friends accessing the network:

quote:
And when your friends connect via Wi-Fi Sense, they won't then, in turn, be able to share your network with their friends.

I probably see a patch from Microsoft removing this feature much like they added the start menu back to Windows 8 after that backlash. Not saying the start menu is same as this but they did sort of listen to the complaints.

Other than this bit I really like Windows 10.
Yea, I've been running Windows 10 through the betas and I'm definitely keeping it. That being said, I don't share my wifi through wifi sense (and wouldn't because I don't want to have to "friend" people who need it and make sure I don't friend people I don't want on it) so I'll be adding _optout to make sure that when I give someone my password it doesn't end up giving a bunch of extra people access.
Ark03
AG
quote:
I have looked, and will continue to - but if anyone finds out how to change the taskbar search to use Google instead of Bing then post here please.

I installed 10 on my computer at home, so I can't mess with it now but will look this weekend if I can't find something on the web before then.
Doesn't look like there is a way to do it. However, Chrome has an extension that redirects bing searches to google.
dcaggie04
AG
quote:
i didn't wait for the download link to be sent to my computer...if you google "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" you can download the tool, either 32 or 64 bit.

Not sure if anyone has had success selecting "keep personal files and apps" but when I did that I got the "black screen of death" and it restored back to 8.1. The next time I chose "dont keep anything" and did a clean install and it worked.
I got the download link yesterday afternoon and ran the upgrade. Had no issues and all of my files and apps are still installed and working fine.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
quote:

Thank you! Trying it out on my Asus T100 Transformer first.
Big_Russ
AG
quote:
I have read there is no media player?

There is a media player. My understanding is there is no DVD player (just like Windows 8). If you want to watch DVDs on your computer, you'll have to install a program.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
On an Asus Transformer T100 (Not a powerhouse in the least), it took 2 hours to update from download to first boot. It is now updating the Windows 10 install. Then I can play with the new toy.

I had it keep my files and update the existing Win8.1.
flakrat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

See this post...

Sorry, I have far too many computer illiterate friends that I let on my network. Just because I'll let them on doesn't mean I want all their friends on and a lot of people just click "Yes" to everything with no clue what they've just done.
This! Granting someone permission to use your network doesn't automatically extend that invitation to all of their contacts.

I can't believe that put that in there. The "user has to opt in" doesn't help because most users will simply accept the feature without any regard for what they are doing.
flakrat
AG
Oh, and an advantage to upgrading, new version of DirectX and all it's goodies, assuming you game.
cecil77
AG
Under two hours on an older core i7, 8GB, 450GB SSD.

I've installed every version of MS OS since DOS 2.1 (excepting Vista)

By far the easiest ever. Also, upgrading (I was in 8.1) worked perfectly. I did clone my drive first though...

Oh, and the install makes it VERY clear what you're allowing MS to do/look at and it's very easy to turn off what you don't want.
RebAg13
bbattbq01
AG
Boot up time is instant in my ssd
coconutED
AG
Hold on a sec...I don't have Windows 10, but if I let someone who does onto my network, will they then be able to share it through wifi sense?
The Fife
How long does the free upgrade last? My media server is still on XP64 so I really should replace just about all of the components and load a copy of 7 the wife has, but I'm busy with a lot of other things too at the moment.
Post removed:
by user
cecil77
AG
One year.
tamusc
AG
The free upgrade only applies to those currently running 7 or 8.1. You're basically SOL if you're running XP and will have to buy a copy. There was an option to get a free copy of 10 if you were part of the Windows Insider program and involved in the technical preview, but that window has closed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.