WIndows 10

12,509 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by millertyme
30_Days
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So after reverting back to 8.1, I decided to install the updated Nvidia driver and try to re-install 10.

No dice, same problem as before. Rolling back to 8.1 again and giving up.

are you doing clean installs or upgrades?

are you installing the driver using GeForce Experience or the downloaded driver?
rbtexan
S
quote:
quote:
So after reverting back to 8.1, I decided to install the updated Nvidia driver and try to re-install 10.

are you installing the driver using GeForce Experience or the downloaded driver?
upgrades, I'm not computer savvy enough for the clean installs.

and I install the downloaded driver, bypassed GeForce Experience.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

upgrades, I'm not computer savvy enough for the clean installs.

and I install the downloaded driver, bypassed GeForce Experience.
i'd suggest doing a clean install, it's actually easier than the upgrades.

When you launch the upgrade tool select the option for "create installation media" and insert a USB drive into the computer.

the directions are here

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/9077997/microsoft-windows-10-clean-install-how-to-guide

the only additional step I don't see covered is that you may need to hit F12 while your computer is booting and select the USB drive to boot from (this method is much easier than jiggering with the BIOS)
rbtexan
S
after reverting to 8.1, I got this gem of a message:

We Couldn't Install Windows 10

0xC1900101- 0x40019

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during OOBE operation.

So in English, this means what exactly?
30_Days
AG
quote:

We Couldn't Install Windows 10

0xC1900101- 0x40019

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during OOBE operation.

So in English, this means what exactly?
it means it broke something in the boot files. A clean install is your only option, as it will format away the boot files and create new ones.

Make sure all of your personal files are backed up onto a separate drive first.
rbtexan
S
Yeah, gonna pass on that. I'll stay with 8.1 until I get a iMac. Too much time wasted on this already. Sure appreciate your assistance though, much obliged.
Olag00
AG
I received that error at first and chose the option to not keep anything or something to that affect the next time and it went through. Just make sure you have all your folders backed up to an external drive.
MGS
quote:

At least it wasn't an error during a BOOB operation, amirite?
cecil77
AG
Moving to a completely different environment (OSX on the iMac) is going to be much more of a hassle and require just as much backing up of your personal stuff. Plus the learning curve to learn OSX (and yes, there's a learning curve) shouldn't be worth it for just the troubles you've describe. Wait a month or two and all of those issues will be resolved.
rbtexan
S
quote:
Moving to a completely different environment (OSX on the iMac) is going to be much more of a hassle and require just as much backing up of your personal stuff. Plus the learning curve to learn OSX (and yes, there's a learning curve) shouldn't be worth it for just the troubles you've describe. Wait a month or two and all of those issues will be resolved.

No learning curve at all, I've been using a MacBook Pro for about a decade for work - the Windows desktop is my home computer. Been a PC guy for years, but there's no comparison for ease of use and hassle-free updates/upgrades. I'm going to just be a 100% Mac household now instead of one of each.
Ganondorf
AG
OOBE = Out of Box Experience

Probably when it was setting up the drivers and failed, likely on your same NVIDIA problem.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
TL;DR: C1900101-20017 wasn't a driver issue at all in my case, but rather a BIOS setting. Set BIOS to boot UEFI only after way, way more troubleshooting than should be required, and finally getting a more descriptive error from upgrading with the Media Creation Tool. Update finally went in after this. Spent many, many hours going down the driver issue rabbit hole, which I'm pretty sure now was a red herring (inconsequential errors in setuperr.log).

http://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f0mfd/help_update_wont_install_errors_80246010/

Not sure how technical you want to get but we can walk you through changing that BIOS setting.
cecil77
AG
For upgrading you have a point although for me this upgrade was at least as easy as upgrading to Lion the last OSX upgrade I've do. As far as ease of use, in my experience that's just an accustomization issue. I find Windows a ton easier than OSX, and I get frustrated every time I try to do anything much on a Mac. But that's my fault ad I've not spent the time to become accustomed to it. Windows I've used for 25 years.
TexasAggie_02
AG
so my laptop finished installing before i left the office yesterday. Everything seems to work great so far. overall, i think my system is running faster (3 year old Dell inspironj laptop). Only problem i had was the touch pad quit working at one point last night. I was able to restart by hitting the windows key and tabbing over to restart. Ever since then it has run fine.
TexasAggie_02
AG
i take that back. I cannot open the xbox app, or the windows store. the splash screen comes up for a millisecond, then disappears. neither will actually open.
tamusc
AG
I've had that happen with the Xbox app a few times. Had to force quit it in the task manger and then it would load up fine.
GreasenUSA
AG
quote:
so my laptop finished installing before i left the office yesterday. Everything seems to work great so far. overall, i think my system is running faster (3 year old Dell inspironj laptop). Only problem i had was the touch pad quit working at one point last night. I was able to restart by hitting the windows key and tabbing over to restart. Ever since then it has run fine.
I had to change back some settings for the touchpad. It wasn't set to scroll.

So far I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary, other than my power scheme was reset.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
I had to change back some settings for the touchpad. It wasn't set to scroll.

So far I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary, other than my power scheme was reset.
The touch pad scrolling issue seems to be a common one.
Predmid
AG
I'm hearing lots of weird things about this "free" upgrade to Win10 and how you are never allowed to make a single hardware change to your machine or else you are required to buy a new license of 10.

Any truth to this rumor?
30_Days
AG
quote:
I'm hearing lots of weird things about this "free" upgrade to Win10 and how you are never allowed to make a single hardware change to your machine or else you are required to buy a new license of 10.

Any truth to this rumor?
where did you hear this rumor? This is the first I've heard of it.
Predmid
AG
quote:
quote:

Any truth to this rumor?

Reddit image thread of a guy talking to tech support. He upgraded to win10 and within a week had to replace a ram stick. Win10 supposedly detected it and told him he needed a new license because he made hardware changes. I'm trying to find the source.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any truth to this rumor?

Reddit image thread of a guy talking to tech support. He upgraded to win10 and within a week had to replace a ram stick. Win10 supposedly detected it and told him he needed a new license because he made hardware changes. I'm trying to find the source.
I've dealt with this issue before on previous windows, and all I had to do was call the activation phone number and tell them what happened.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any truth to this rumor?

I've dealt with this issue before on previous windows, and all I had to do was call the activation phone number and tell them what happened.
Yup, that's no different than any previous version of Windows. Sometimes a hardware change would force a new activation and that would sometimes force a phone call activation rather than an internet one.

Quick phone call is all is takes.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any truth to this rumor?

Yup, that's no different than any previous version of Windows. Sometimes a hardware change would force a new activation and that would sometimes force a phone call activation rather than an internet one.

Quick phone call is all is takes.
they're pretty generous with it as well. Once I fried basically everything but the HDD in one go, they didn't even hesitate to reactivate it for me.
Predmid
AG
Well...that sounds good.

I'm still going to hold out until a few programs I use tell me they're compatible with win10. At the moment, I know of a bunch of rather debilitating bugs.
taxpreparer
AG
I upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10 and it was no more difficult than a normal Windows update. It did take longer, though.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Tried the update multiple times and each time it stalled part way through. A MS help desk dude just told me to chill with my current version until they're able to fix some bugs. Pretty disappointing that for whatever reason I won't be able to upgrade for who knows how long.
tamusc
AG
quote:
Tried the update multiple times and each time it stalled part way through. A MS help desk dude just told me to chill with my current version until they're able to fix some bugs. Pretty disappointing that for whatever reason I won't be able to upgrade for who knows how long.
MS is releasing a big patch batch sometime either this week or next to address many of the common issues (according to them, of course).
TexasAggie_02
AG
i could never get the store, xbox, calendar, or mail to load. I tried many fixes from answers.microsoft.com. Finally decided to repair windows with the recovery disc i made. it ended up failing at 90-something %. It said it was returning me to windows, but it got stuck in a boot loop.

Turned it off and back on, still stuck in a boot loop. I'm now downloading win 10 again from a different machine and creating a new installation disk. Hopefully i can do a clean install.
TexasAggie_02
AG
clean install fixed everything. actually had to do it twice. there is an option to save all you old windows files to a folder named "old.windows" but that install failed, and went back to a boot loop. So i just reformatted that partition and started over. Now everything is working just fine.

I had all my files backed up, so reformatting wasn't the end of the world, I would have just preferred the original update process to work.
cecil77
AG
A couple days after the upgrade I got a "disk full" warning. Windows.old was the culprit. Deleted it.
tamusc
AG
quote:
A couple days after the upgrade I got a "disk full" warning. Windows.old was the culprit. Deleted it.
Yikes, just looked and saw that was taking up almost 20GB! Any risk to deleting it? I assume that just eliminates the easy roll back option.
millertyme
AG
http://blog.laptopmag.com/delete-windows-old-folder

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.