Finished Media Closet 2.0 Build

10,359 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Olag00
Olag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They pulled white and green cat6 cables. Purple is speaker wire for whole home audio. Blue is cat5e for the whole home audio keypads. Those are next for me to terminate with RJ45 connectors into the whole home audio controller.
92_Ag
AG
Progress?
Olag00
AG
There has been some progress...I am going on a site visit for work and will post photos later this evening...

Nothing too major was completed but I got my HTD Lync 12 system keypads installed and installed the switches and patch panels on my "rack".

More to come...
Olag00
AG
This is what it looks like before all the cables:

Here it is as it stands right now, I have ordered 6" and 1' patch cables so I can clean up the patching, it looks like a tornado went through here but sadly I know where everything is connected and just waiting on longer cables and the shorter cables to clean it up.

As far as the whole home audio, the below is what I have at each keypad location:

2 green cables going to each speaker, 1 purple 4 conductor going to pantry closet, 1 blue cat 5e cable.

These little connectors are awesome. They are about $30 per 100 connectors but they make life a little easier when connecting wires.

red/black from one speaker to red/black of 4 conductor and other red/black to green/white of 4 conductor

Keypad:

I also installed the above cabinet LED lighting using Phillips Hue strips and Hub. Expensive but very easy to operate and it has a plugin I can use in my automation software. It can change to pretty much any color but below are red and blue.

aggietony2010
AG
Random question, but how do all the cables come into the media closet? Is there just a big hole in the ceiling/wall, or is there some sort of access panel? I'm about to run 20 or so lines of Cat-6 (in a completed house) and am trying to figure out this part.
Olag00
AG
Left is the whole home speakers and cat 5 to each location. Center is media room speakers and cat6. Right is the RG6 coax for all the room. I am not sure where they bought the left cable entrance plate but i like it. It has a rubber lining that keeps the attic hot air from creaping in like the other bull nose entrance plates.

Olag00
AG
Still working on getting everything finished...closet has been worked on but not enough to get progress photos. I've been working on installing all my z-wave switches and have 18 of them installed. Still have quite a few more to go.

I did make some good progress on my game room. Each TV has a chromebox running XBMC. I have to get my HDMI matrices set up before I can get TV to them, but it is 95% complete.

sanitariex
AG
Has there been any updates? I'm getting ready to start the planning and have been reading through the post and will plan mine very close to what you've done.
Olag00
AG
Nothing to write home about on the progress...it is "functional" for now. Need a lot of sprucing up and cable management.

Trying to post images via mobile since the builder is finishing up the house behind us and cut my internet line while installing a french drain near my fence...

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.