Amazon Echo

44,742 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txyaloo
jagouar1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Does anybody else find themselves trying to talk to Alexa at other places like the car? I'll be driving and hear a song and I'll try to ask Alexa who it is before I realize she's not there.
I do that all the time, one of the reasons I think the phone would be nice but what I really want is alexa baked into everything. Goes beyond just the phone but how awesome would it be to have alexa baked natively into your car? I find that much more interesting than android auto or carplay. With as many 3rd party products that alexa is being baked in I wonder if that is the goal.

ORAggieFan said:

Quote:

I'm moving all media to Amazon because it is OS agnostic. Just upgraded to unlimited music today. Love that it works on our phones, tablets, smart tv, roku and echo.

Agreed, I currently have a mix of Microsoft and Google services and am moving everything in the direction of amazon because of that but also because I trust amazon more than Google or Microsoft.

I also did get the dot in this weekend, really surprised how good it sounds for such a small device.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

I trust amazon more than Google or Microsoft.
That's probably reasonable. Amazon is mostly "we'll sell you stuff you want and profit".

Google is "we'll try to sell you on stuff you don't even know you're being sold and profit".

Microsoft is "we'll sell you stuff you don't really want but have to have just because and profit"
Diggity
AG
I wouldn't mind merging my music away from Google but Amazon wants $25/year to store your music library.

I feel like that should be included in the Prime Music Unlimited. Not going to pay for something that Google offers for free.
jagouar1
AG
FYI Logitech released their official harmony skill today.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/25/alexa-gives-voice-commands-to-logitechs-harmony-hub-remote/
Cloud
Diggity said:

I wouldn't mind merging my music away from Google but Amazon wants $25/year to store your music library.

I feel like that should be included in the Prime Music Unlimited. Not going to pay for something that Google offers for free.

If we're subscribing to unlimited music access, why do we care about storing our own music collection?
Jason_Ag98
AG
For me it's because 'unlimited' still doesn't include every song ever made. While it does cover the large majority of what I listen to, there are still songs that are either from indie artists or just older stuff that isn't included in the rights packages that are licensed by the streaming services. It's nice to be able to upload those from my collection and have them available for streaming.
Phat32
AG
Still waiting for a Liftmaster skill
Diggity
AG
What Jason said. It's also nice to be able to play your own music.

I don't want to have to recreate my music library on Amazon.
txyaloo
AG
rasher said:

Smartthings+Yonomi will do what you want. IIRC, Smartthings is on sale for $65 right now.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-myq-lite-for-liftmaster-chamberlain/49150
Phat32
AG
txyaloo said:

rasher said:

Smartthings+Yonomi will do what you want. IIRC, Smartthings is on sale for $65 right now.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-myq-lite-for-liftmaster-chamberlain/49150
Or I could just wait and they'll integrate it for free, which is what they've done with everything else.
Diggity
AG
I think you would still need something to communicate between the echo and the MyQ no?

I don't see how they could just add it as a skill without a zwave interface.
VonDownByTheRiver
jagouar1 said:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/25/alexa-gives-voice-commands-to-logitechs-harmony-hub-remote/

Does the Harmony Hub use an IR blaster to send commands?
Phat32
AG
Diggity said:

I think you would still need something to communicate between the echo and the MyQ no?

I don't see how they could just add it as a skill without a zwave interface.
Same concept as the Nest integration. It would basically go into the account and run the command for you.
Diggity
AG
My understanding of the MyQ system is that it needs some sort of gateway to communicate both ways. That could have changed though.
txyaloo
AG
rasher said:

txyaloo said:

rasher said:

Or I could just wait and they'll integrate it for free, which is what they've done with everything else.
So have what you want now for $65 or wait who knows how long for something that may never occur? $65 is cheap for home automation and offers a lot more options down the road.
txyaloo
AG
VonDownByTheRiver said:

jagouar1 said:

Does the Harmony Hub use an IR blaster to send commands?
It has a built in IR blaster

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.