Amazon Fire TV stick preorder - $20

12,493 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cecil77
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you direct me to the instructions for that? Thx
Texas_Aggie91
AG
Ordered the 28th of October, estimated delivery of Christmas Eve
txam92
AG
quote:
Can you direct me to the instructions for that? Thx
- Go here to download SPMC [url] http://spmc.semperpax.com/ [/url] I downloaded the 13.3.3 APK

- Go here for instructions on how to sideload it: [url] http://liliputing.com/2014/11/install-xbmckodi-amazon-fire-tv-stick.html [/url] I had ADB (android SDK) already loaded on my PC and was comfortable with it so I used that method. There is a tool someone made called adbFire which takes care of that for you if you don't want to mess with ADB. Instructions to find and use that are in this link.

- This method works for installing any android APK package, although some apps won't work on the FireStick. If you want a list of apps that people have played around with sideloading on FireTV, go here : [url] http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2756608 [/url] They don't update the thread any longer but gives you an idea of the apps that might work. I'm going to try and play around with Dish Anywhere and some of the movie channel apps since I subscribe to those on Dish already.
cecil77
AG
Thanks! That should be fun...

Also, my receiver isn't DolbyDigital+ and I can't get sound from the receiver.

Firestick plugged into the receiver - TV works fine w/ sound. But no sound through the receiver. Changes settings on the Firestick and it says I should get stereo sound. Any ideas anyone? thx
cecil77
AG
txam92, it works! Thanks. I've had an old Mac Mini connected to the TV, but now that I can access my NAS, The Fire Stick is all we need.

I still can't figure out why, with the Fire Stick plugged into my receiver I can get sound from the TV, but not the receiver. I may have to get the Fire TV since it has optical audio out, and put the stick on the bedroom TV...

Post removed:
by user
coastalAg
AG
Mine was supposed to arrive last week, but looks like USPS lost it. Sigh...
txam92
AG
quote:
txam92, it works! Thanks. I've had an old Mac Mini connected to the TV, but now that I can access my NAS, The Fire Stick is all we need.

I still can't figure out why, with the Fire Stick plugged into my receiver I can get sound from the TV, but not the receiver. I may have to get the Fire TV since it has optical audio out, and put the stick on the bedroom TV...

Glad it worked for you Cecil! I'm playing around with adding the various addons to SPMC which will give you access to other content as well.
Duncan Idaho
This thing is great
fta09
AG
My wife has really been enjoying this so far. She watches the TV in the living room a lot more than I do, so she's gotten more use out of it. I do like how I can stream stuff off Amazon Prime with the stick in HD. Before, I would cast it from my computer, but it would not stream in HD due to the possibility of being able to record what I was watching.
cecil77
AG
I just downloaded all the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums from Prime. No extra charge.
bbattbq01
AG
Got mine yesterday and it is pretty snappy. Started playing at 1080p without any noticeable buffering.
schmendeler
AG
Ours was supposed to come Christmas eve but we got it yesterday. Hooked it up and it works great! Dumb question: I didn't see any "off" option or switch. I guess this is an "always on" type deal?
cecil77
AG
Yeah, If it's plugged in just hit the home button on the remote.

Amazon Fire TV arriving tomorrow. I wanted the optical audio out for the living room TV. Fire Stick going back to the bedroom.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.