AT&T $40 upgrade fee

2,813 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bthotugigem05
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else successful in getting them to waive the fee? I was 2 years ago but am running into resistance this time.

I don't think it's fair business practice to charge me a $40 fee so I can pay them $2k+ over the next two years. Their official response via twitter is that the fee goes to "continue to provide customers with excellent services now and in the future!"
BrazosDog02
AG
If I ever want something, I threaten to leave. You need the retention department. Your mileage may vary.

I too think they are crooks.
JonLobb
stop "upgrading."

you probably pay $1000+ for a laptop that you don't use as much as your phone, why not pay $650 for a phone?

leave the contracts and extra fees behind. reclaim your freedom!

Honestly, I'll take the $650 in credit card debt over the contract ANY DAY.
MSCAg
AG
I ready about this with Verizon when I upgraded a couple years ago.

Basically, Verizon and AT&T have realized they are the big dogs and can get away with these fees. Starting a couple years ago, they instituted a pretty strict no waiver policy for said fees. Your best bet is probably to play chicken and threaten to cancel.

I do think JonLobb may have a point. I think I'm just going to save a little each month for the next phone upgrade. You're paying for the phone one way or the other.
bthotugigem05
AG
I did manage to get them to say to me on twitter that the fee helps cover "equipment changes", which pretty much makes my point because they wouldn't charge me $40 to downgrade to an iPhone 4, which they also confirmed.
boy09
AG
Reading some fine print, it seems like the $40 fee is one of the pieces of their puzzle to sway everyone into signing up for AT&T Next ($40 fee is waived with a new AT&T Next contract) and getting everyone off of unlimited data plans.
AggieMavsfan
AG
quote:
stop "upgrading."

you probably pay $1000+ for a laptop that you don't use as much as your phone, why not pay $650 for a phone?

I paid $550 for a laptop over 4 years ago. I just checked amazon, and their best seller right now is a $250 Dell laptop that would blow my old one out of the water.

You don't need to pay anywhere near $1,000 unless you want a macbook or something fancy.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:
stop "upgrading."

I paid $550 for a laptop over 4 years ago. I just checked amazon, and their best seller right now is a $250 Dell laptop that would blow my old one out of the water.

You don't need to pay anywhere near $1,000 unless you want a macbook or something fancy.

You totally got the point...
bthotugigem05
AG
Update: called them yesterday, they delayed me until I get the phone, then they'll be able to give me an account credit for the fee.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.