Starting search for a new tv...

4,795 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by coastalAg
RedbeardAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just pulled the trigger on it from comp source for $1197 shipped. No tax, should get here sometime next week. I don't give a damn about smart features since I have an xbone, and everything I've read says the H5000 is about the best bang for the buck you can get. The only concern I really have is that it only has 2 hdmi ports. Luckily with the xbox I get the game system, tv, and blue ray all using one hdmi.
Tailgate88
AG
No tax and free shipping makes it $200+ cheaper than Amazon but I have never heard of that site before. Hmmmm.

Redbeard, I won't be ordering until next week, please post your impressions of the TV and CompSource after you receive it. TIA
RedbeardAG
AG
Will do. I did a little research. Site had some mixed reviews, but it is a legitimate site. Hopefully being a cheap ass doesn't come back to bite me.
BEaggie08
AG
I think I'm going to go with this one: http://www.vizio.com/tvs/pseries/p702uib3.html

The only Vizio I've ever owned is a 32" guest room TV. No problems with it. Does anyone want to talk me out of the 70" 4k Vizio linked above? I'll probably wait a couple weeks before ordering.
A&M Chopper
AG
quote:
The only Vizio I've ever owned is a 32" guest room TV. No problems with it. Does anyone want to talk me out of the 70" 4k Vizio linked above?

Mine will be here on Wednesday morning. Will let you know how it looks.
BEaggie08
AG
Awesome, thank you.

When did you order it, and where did you order it from?

I am looking at Amazon, but the only shipping date/time they're giving me is October, 22 between 9 am - 12 pm.
JmacAg07
AG
Redbeard, how was the service dealing with compsource? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on that same tv. Just a little leary of using that site.

Thanks in advance!
DB Coach
AG
The new 2014 Vizio E-series has Full-Array LED instead of being Edge-lit LED, meaning that the lights are across the panel, not only on the edges. It makes for a much better picture, especially among budget sets. The 60" set is around $800, and the 65" set is around $1100.
RedbeardAG
AG
Well... service from Comp Source was ok... but Fedex is boning me right now. Took off work yesterday to accept delivery, and they called me after I got home to tell me they had shipped it to the wrong delivery center and wanted to reschedule. After 2 hours on the phone I got them to schedule an after hours delivery for tonight.

As for the 60' Visio E series, just bought one for the living room a few months ago, and it is pretty damn nice. Only gripe I have (pretty much across the board with TVs today) is that the sound is lacking.
A&M Chopper
AG
quote:

Amazon pre-ordered as soon as they had it. Was none too happy to have to chase Amazon to get delivery dates / details after seeing the tv at the Greenway area Costco last week. That Costco had 4 of them last Thursday.
cav14
Or how about get a vizio 4K 50 inch for $999?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6838489/how-vizio-p-series-999-4k-uhd-tv
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:

Amazon pre-ordered as soon as they had it. Was none too happy to have to chase Amazon to get delivery dates / details after seeing the tv at the Greenway area Costco last week. That Costco had 4 of them last Thursday.
Yeah, I was going to pre-order through Amazon, but the "usually ships in 3 - 4 weeks" scared me off. I went ahead and ordered it through Best Buy for the same price, with free delivery. It is scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. I pray that it gets delivered before the game.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on it this evening...I'm excited like a kid the night before Disney-World.
BEaggie08
AG
So, what's the verdict Chopper?
YouBet
AG
I splurged and purchased the Samsung F8500 last night. It's going to replace my old Sony which I will move to a room upstairs. I get it on Oct. 4 from Amazon. Our media room is only 120 sq.ft. so the 51 inch is as big as I can cram into that space and still fit my towers on either side.
Tailgate88
AG
So how do you like your new tv, Redbeard?
A&M Chopper
AG
quote:
It is awesome. Watching the tech / osu game now and it's tremendous. Hooked up the bluray player to the hdmi 5 input and the first 10 minutes of Skyfall was crystal clear. Also did some 4K streaming on Netflix and again very impressed. There are several preset picture calibration options. I am still jumping between them. Waiting on the nerds over on avs to tell me the optimal settings. You will enjoy it.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:
It is awesome. Watching the tech / osu game now and it's tremendous. Hooked up the bluray player to the hdmi 5 input and the first 10 minutes of Skyfall was crystal clear. Also did some 4K streaming on Netflix and again very impressed. There are several preset picture calibration options. I am still jumping between them. Waiting on the nerds over on avs to tell me the optimal settings. You will enjoy it.
Great to hear! I can't wait.
RedbeardAG
AG
Watching tv right now.... I love it. Sad to downgrade from 73" but I think the picture is much better than what I was dealing with.

only problem I had was with shipping. Had to meet the guy a few blocks away because the truck couldn't make it down my street( wires to low). I had to help him unload it from the back of an 18 wheeler and put it in the back of my wife's SUV( fit but just barely). ..... But I saved over $200 vs ordering on Amazon...no regrets.
Tailgate88
AG
Great to hear. As soon as I get my taxes back from the accountant and no surprises, I'm pulling the trigger!
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
I splurged and purchased the Samsung F8500 last night. It's going to replace my old Sony which I will move to a room upstairs. I get it on Oct. 4 from Amazon. Our media room is only 120 sq.ft. so the 51 inch is as big as I can cram into that space and still fit my towers on either side.

Very envious of that F8500.....
plarmigan
AG
quote:

Absolutely love my F8500
YouBet
AG
Got 8500 hooked up. Picture is phenomenal but I'm having all kinds of weird issues going on. While watching a recorded program from DTV DVR the picture suddenly went to static yet I still had sound. Had a error message about the antenna. Turning on my blu-ray player brought TV back for some reason which literally makes no sense. I simply did a clean swap with my old TV and this one so not sure why my blu-ray player has any impact here. Only connection is power cord and HDMI to receiver. Seems really buggy.

SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
Got 8500 hooked up. Picture is phenomenal but I'm having all kinds of weird issues going on. While watching a recorded program from DTV DVR the picture suddenly went to static yet I still had sound. Had a error message about the antenna. Turning on my blu-ray player brought TV back for some reason which literally makes no sense. I simply did a clean swap with my old TV and this one so not sure why my blu-ray player has any impact here. Only connection is power cord and HDMI to receiver. Seems really buggy.

Firmware update?
YouBet
AG
Upon setup it downloaded the newest firmware and I've checked again for another one and it has latest firmware. It has not happened again since early last night so keeping my fingers crossed.
slappy
AG
Lucky I saw this, I'm in the same boat. Saw the 50" Vizio E series was a good price. Also came across this Samsung Plasma:

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8239047&pid=1218866283709&pcatId=pcmcat193400050016

Any thoughts about the plasma?
coastalAg
AG
Looked like the F8500 had a price drop today for anyone in the market.
YouBet
AG
quote:
Looked like the F8500 had a price drop today for anyone in the market.
Thank you for the heads up!! I should be able to get $400 back from Amazon since I just purchased and took delivery of this tv at the higher price.
coastalAg
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.