SpaceChem

1,244 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by kb2001
farmer2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why has nobody ever told me about this game? I discovered it this weekend and have been hooked since.

It's an approachable, but extremely difficult procedural programming-based indie puzzle game that's loosely based on chemistry. You are tasked with assembling "reactors," which manipulate molecules to create other molecules. The game challenges you to think through a solution on a high level, then invent a way to actually accomplish it. The difficulty curve ramps up quickly, then continues to ramp up as new game mechanics are introduced. It's pretty much the video game version of nerd sniping.
javajaws
AG
This looks like a game for people who don't burn enough brain cells at work.
wee_ag
AG
I picked it up the other day for free... I've been afraid to try it for fear of revealing how stupid I truly am.
farmer2010
AG
It will definitely make you feel stupid when playing. Then, you think "well what if I try this..." which is usually followed by a Eureka! moment, 5 minutes of reactor assembly, and a feeling of intense accomplishment once you solve it. It's on a similar level as Kerbal Space Program in how rewarding it is.
Scooley01
AG
Free?!
wee_ag
AG
Ok... finally starting playing this game. It's outstanding! Definitely pick this up, especially if it's on sale.
farmer2010
AG
Prepare yourself. The later levels will make you want to cry. I just completed the Sigma-Ethylene level after probably 10 hours of head scratching, followed by a few weeks away from the game to clear my head, followed by a few more hours and starting over from scratch. I've heard that the final level is even harder.

[This message has been edited by farmer2010 (edited 8/31/2014 10:33p).]
farmer2010
AG
I just beat what I had previously thought was the last level of the game. Turns out it was just the final level on the last planet. The game progresses past planets.

I feel like I've just scaled the tallest mountain, only to find one twice as tall on the other side.
nomad2007
AG
I just started this today on my lunch hour. Holy ****. I feel totally stupid.
kb2001
AG
If anyone is still interested in this game, it's in the Humble Bundle right now, you can get it along with a dozen other games for about $6.50

https://www.humblebundle.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.