wireless router that doesn't suck?

7,857 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Sling Blade
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know why when I'm far from the router, my laptop can sometimes see the 5G signal but when I try to authenticate to it, it fails and goes out of range. But if I'm connected by moving closer to the router, I can then move to back to my original location and have no issues at all.
cr0wbar
AG
Ok- bought the router. Now for the wireless adapter to my PC.

I've stumbled upon this guy- seems a bit over my head. Any interpretations here?

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/EAN66/
bmc13
AG
my dlink did the same thing all the time until I built a router using an old computer I had and Linux and relegated the dlink to wireless only duty. now everything works great
JTA1029
AG
another VERY SATISFIED netgear nighthawk owner here.

the new Linksys is sick too. I might buy one just to play with.
YouBet
AG
So, stupid question...I've had issues with wireless to my media room since inception. Wireless N adapters on my Xbox flat out can't stream a movie without multiple connection loss up to 15-20x per movie. My media room is only about 10 ft from my router but it's through a couple of walls. I've tried power line (old house wiring; no go) and signal booster hardware with zero improvement.

I've tried multiple routers to no avail and am currently using a dual Motorola modem/router provided by TWC (my internet provider). I at least don't have to reset it ever but it still doesn't resolve my coverage issue. Would one if these routers help or is my issue simply a function of my home layout?

I'm trying to solve this wirelessly but I'm about fed up with it.
TX scallywAG
AG
@You, hows WiFi in that room for your other devices ,same?

AG
I'm assuming the wifi adapters for the xbox are USB? Could the USB port be flaky? Have you tried using a wifi bridge instead? Belkin has one for $30 or $40 that I used for my tv. Worked great. Only advice I would give with it is to get a AC adapter for it so it stays on instead of booting up everytime you turn on your device.
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
I'm assuming the wifi adapters for the xbox are USB? Could the USB port be flaky? Have you tried using a wifi bridge instead? Belkin has one for $30 or $40 that I used for my tv. Worked great. Only advice I would give with it is to get a AC adapter for it so it stays on instead of booting up everytime you turn on your device.

Will plugging in to the wifi bridge via Ethernet yield the same result as if you were plugging directly into the modem?
YouBet
AG
My iPad has a stronger connection although I do see frequent fluctuations up and down on my wifi icon so it's definitely not 100% stable in that room.

I will try the wifi bridge and see if that helps.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
The 300 & 600 series linksys routers were their worst ever.

QFT. Total garbage
YouBet
AG
If the 300 and 600 series were the flat white ones I can attest to their crap quality. Had to reboot every other day.
Knife_Party
I've been using a $43 netgear router all summer and it works great for me. I don't think I've rebooted it once.
Knife_Party
And I have a pc desktop, xbox 360, and macbook that all run off it's wifi. Zero problems with any gaming or netflix watching.
flintdragon
AG
My new Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is failing already. Port 1 all of a sudden is kaput. No link lights. Wifi seems to be flaking in and out and overall stability is suspect.
Tailgate88
AG
Check out the second response to this person's idiotic question on the Nighthawk page:

quote:
Q: Do i need a internet provider to get internet?

A: No. I believe you have to buy some red shoes, very sparkly ones (slippers) and go on a long quest with a lion, a scarecrow and a tin man. when you reach the end of your quest for internet you must use your companions to make the big provider in the green city to grant you access to the interwebs. once done you can quickly return to your now internet provided home by clicking your shiny red shoe heels together and recite the following words. " there's no place like 127.0.0.1" over and over......

http://www.amazon.com/Do-need-internet-provider-get/forum/FxUUUKILXGJ4V4/TxNZW1CT6LEM2M/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00F0DD0I6
flintdragon
AG
returning R7000 to tigerdirect (holy hell, I'm never buying from them again).

getting a asus rt-66u from Amazon. Hoping for the best...
flintdragon
AG
The Asus RT-AC66u is working well! Better than the Netgear so far.

While the WIFI signal is about the same between the two routers, I'm able to achieve authentication and establish a connection with the Asus. Once established with 1-2 "bars", I can max out my internet connection no problem.

With the Netgear, I could never get it to authenticate with 1-2 bars. No idea why.

The UI is also much better on Asus, imo.
flintdragon
AG
Well crap, still need to reboot the router every few days. Wifi access to the internet would just die with no errors or anything. Too bad commercial grade stuff is so $$$.
dubi
AG
quote:
Asus RT-AC66u

I have had mine about 6 months. Unplugged it once.
flintdragon
AG
I'm not even doing anything stressful like torrenting. Just a little streaming, phone gaming, web browsing...
reddestass16
AG
3 college kids all with netflix, laptops, cell phones, a PS3 and friend's laptops and the nighthawk absolutely dominates. The only problems with it come from Suddenlink. Very much worth the money
Sling Blade
AG
I would put my hat in with ubiquiti or Amped Wireless.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.