Android Wear and upcoming Smartwatches

7,357 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by RangerRick9211
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Received mine last night.

Six hours off charger and 79% battery w/ moderate use.

No ambient and the bar at the bottom are very frustrating.
RangerRick9211
AG
IFTTT is so awesome w/ wear.

Also, LookBehind is a neat, not creepy at all, app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pixtogram.wear.lookbehind&hl=en
OasisMan
AG
bestbuys are supposed to have them in-store on the 14th
TX_AG_10
AG
I got about 14 hours of battery life yesterday with moderate use and I had the ambient setting on. I've got the ambient setting off today, so we'll see if I get better battery life.

The bar at the bottom hasn't bothered me at all. I keep a black face on the watch so I rarely notice it. It does pop with a white face, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I'll have to try a few of those apps out!
RangerRick9211
AG
14 hrs. w/ ambient mode on? Wow... I'll have to give it a go.

16 hrs. and change yesterday till mine died. However, the last hour was spent playing w/ various IFTTT scripts so the screen was on constantly.

howdydamnit04
AG
So I bought one and returned it two days later because the battery was just terrible. Reports are that battery life is vastly improved with the most recent update. Anyone want to chime in?
AggieT
AG
I got the update on Saturday and noticed a huge improvement. I put it on the charger last night after ~15 hrs and it was at 31%. The update seems to have fixed the annoying signal drop issue that was apparently killing the battery.
AggieT
AG
That was with ambient mode on.
howdydamnit04
AG
Wow thats huge. I had it for 2 days and the 2nd full day i took it off the charger at 7am and by 5pm it was at 8%. Worst part was I was driving all day so I didnt really have time to screw with it.
agracer
AG
So really this just a cool toy to wear b/c I still don't seethe appeal of a small face to show me the weather, or who is calling, or a text message. Hell, I can barely read the phones creen as it is with-out the cheaters. I mean, is it really that much of an effort to look at your phone? Unless I know someone important is calling, my phone is on silent in a meeting and I don't answer it or look at it (you
know, manners).

I already have a watch to tell the time. I've had it for 11-years and never once hadto charge the battery or change it out.

FTR, I'm not slamming the device. I just don't see the appeal.
AggieT
AG
That's not a totally unfair assessment. I'd say that the it isn't nearly as practical as smartwatches will end up being, but it is an interesting start. I like it when I'm driving to have a quick glance at incoming texts or emails. The voice commands are also useful in the car, but you won't catch me talking to the thing in public. I like to use it to control Pandora, Google Play Music, etc. I have no trouble reading the screen.
Barry Kripke
AG
quote:
I already have a watch to tell the time.
quote:
I mean, is it really that much of an effort to look at your phone?
MW03
AG
I assume you think the apple watch is a stupid piece of redundant tech as well, then?
OasisMan
AG
i have never made it through a day without the watch making it -- i do leave ambient light off

woke up at 530, im at 53% -- maybe i will try ambient on tomorrow

its nice while driving, especially the navigation function
LeftyHound
AG
How do you charge this one? I have the first gen Galaxy Gear watch and having to use the little cradle thing to charge the watch is a major PITA.
RangerRick9211
AG
Update has helped a lot w/ battery life. I'm in an office for a majority of the day so ambient off and '1' on display brightness. Off charge at 5:30 am and roughly 50-60% remaining when I put it on the cradle around 10 pm.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.