A&M Steam Tunnels

49,739 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by StringerBell
txaggie_2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Rule #1, Andrew
I second the motion.
RedAss2016
AG
Are any of y'all still doing this?
Wildmen03
AG
Yup, everyone is, try it out yourself and report back. Be sure to bring a camera.
TXAG 05
AG
That website doesn't have any of the tunnels under the quad mapped. There is a huge tunnel that goes from the quad to under the commons dorms... or so I am told.
tfunk02
AG
My #1 moment at A&M was when I got onto the roof of the press box at Kyle. It was the night of 9/11/01.

We reserved the press box for our fish camp reunion and then found that they key worked on the lock for the roof too. We all sat up there and talked about 9/11 and life. Amazing night! It was a little crazy to not see a plane in the sky for hours.

I also snuck into the steam tunnels. Same old stuff there though... nothing new.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
tfunk... Camp McWhartor?
RedAss2016
AG

[This message has been edited by RedAss2016 (edited 12/9/2012 11:04p).]
eric76
AG
There used to be a secret club on campus called the BCC --the Building Climbers Club. The founding member lived in Puryear at the time.

Their goal was to climb every building on campus and explore every steam tunnel.
eric76
AG
There used to be a hidden second deck on the alumni side of Kyle Field. It took a bit of climbing to find it, but it wasn't all that difficult. I found it about 3 am one morning in the mid 1970s just climbing around up there.

As I remember it, there was a gap of about 5 feet between the hidden second deck and the current second deck at the time. In some of the old photos of Kyle Field from the 70s, you can see the hidden deck if you know what you are looking at.

I've never met anyone else who has been on it.

I've often wondered if it is still there. Since that time, they've widened the second deck. It is possible that they removed or blocked in the hidden second deck when they did it.

[This message has been edited by eric76 (edited 12/7/2012 5:24p).]
WBBQ74
AG
Cold November Thu night before the '70 Rice game. One rocker butt took about 10 of my fish buds and I to get ontop of the Academic Building dome. We had a 'BQ74' painted f-sack to post. We cruised by the construction site for what wound up being Krueger Dunn and stole a #6 10' piece of rebar. Found/took a 15' vertical slide ladder out of a manhole left open on the side of the Cushing Library building. We snuck into the Academic Building and walked silently up the stairs on the east side. Passed the ladder up from floor to floor right on top of the sleeping non-reg proctor at the desk on the 1st floor. We opened the window - still old wooden pane sliding types - in the bathroom on the NE corner of the 4th floor and crawled out onto the ledge. All of us walked around the ledge past the SE corner, SW corner until we came around to the roof gable on the Sully side. It was fun getting the 15' ladder around the corner. The ledge was about 3' wide and we were 18 years old and immortal. No one was drunk, either. Got up on the roof of the Academic Building and leaned the ladder up to the green brass dome. Also go to walk inside the dome housing and found that there was a dome you saw from the 1st floor and the actual dome you saw from the outside; vents and stuff in the void between them. Plus a small can of white paint and a brush. 100's of names painted on various areas inside. We obviously weren't the first Aggies to be there. Of course I added my name, too. Not all of us actually went up and climbed the wire rope ladder to the top of the dome. I, being one of the larger guys on the outing, held the ladder for the other guys who went up - about half of us and the s-butt, who, having been there many times, took a moment to take his usual pee when there. At least that is what he told us he always did. The guys took the piece of rebar with the f-sack tied to it and stuck it into the receiving hole on the top of the dome. Fit perfectly. We left the way we came, lowered the ladder back over the still sleeping non-reg proctor, put the ladder back in the manhole, and walked back to Dorm 11. Obviously proud of our caper. I got to see it still ontop of the dome the next morning. Word got back to the outfit that if the miscreants ever got caught there would be Hell to pay. So of course we kept a tight lip. Maint folks got up on the dome by lunchtime but were not able to remove the piece of rebar. They took down the f-sack but bent the rebar over. It stayed up there for almost 2 years. If you look at the cover of a 'Texas Aggie' magazine issued in the spring of 1973 you see a shot of the Academic Building with the rebar still bent over ontop. It finally got removed during the summer of 1973 I think.

Anyway, some of the guys on that jaunt are no longer here, but I do remember. Amazing what you can get away with if you try hard. Walked by the Academic building with the wife a few years ago and tried to tell her this tale, which she thought a complete fabrication. It really happened. She just laughed.

[This message has been edited by WBBQ74 (edited 12/7/2012 5:53p).]
plug10 AG
AG
I went into the tunnels under dorm 10 a few times in 09-10. There is a lot of graffiti from the old outfits down there. I know some guys that were arrested for going in the tunnels a few years before that. I think it depends on where you go in at, we never had issues around the corps dorms. You would be surprised at how easy it is to get into them from various locations on campus, just don't get caught.
Pro Sandy
AG
I, I mean my friend, went up on the roof of Weiner a few times.
tfunk02
AG
Camp Wiggins

I think another camp was there before us.

[This message has been edited by tfunk02 (edited 12/9/2012 9:42a).]
Sergeant Spanky
Damn, I never did anything this awesome while at A&M. The only thing we would do was get drunk, steal bikes from around campus, and go race down West Campus Garage. Good times
RedAss2016
AG
What's rule #1?
Sentinel
AG
Damn, I wish I had the nerve to do some of this stuff!

quote:
What's rule #1?

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2085845&forum_id=5
PetroAg87
AG
Went into the tunnels multiple times back in the mid 80's. Usually in an entrance over in front of Sbisa or another near the old Petroleum Engineering building.

Military walk tunnel was kinda cool simply because it was a wide tunnel that went for so long. If I recall though, it wasn't real high and we would have to walk in a crouch in order to avoid overhanging beams and such. Back then, it ended at a big, strong, locked gate at the MSC. Made the mistake once of trying to exit in front of Hart Hall just as a campus cop happened to be driving by. We ran like Hell back towards Sbisa, heard someone opening the grate at that entrance, and ended up running towards the Northside dorms and popping out in a parking lot between Sbisa and Moses Hall. Back then, if you got caught, you probably weren't expelled but I knew a few who got put on Conduct Probation after getting caught.

Tunnels just West of the Library were dangerous. Some of the pipes were scalding hot and there was just enough water covering the floor to conceal any holes, pipes and other tripping hazards.

Neatest room that we found was an old fall-out shelter located under/near the Architecture building. All the food and water had been long removed but there were still barrels with the Civil Defense logo full of bandages,toilet paper, cups, etc. As I recall, that room opened up through a regular dorm located on a sub basement type floor in the Architecture building.

Back then, there wasn't near as much security in those tunnels and the penalty for getting caught wasn't nearly as high as it appears to be now. But even so, it was still dangerous from a purely safety standpoint. There was NOTHING that we saw that would make it worth going down there today if you are a college student. You could really create a lot of problems for you and your future that should be avoided. We were a bit idiotic to go down there 30 years ago and you would be an even bigger idiot to try it today!

[This message has been edited by PetroAg87 (edited 12/10/2012 1:34p).]
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
Camp Wiggins

I think another camp was there before us.

Just realized who you were from your username. You were an awesome counselor. Also your house was really nice.

Camp Wiggins was legendary.
mustang6tee8
AG
Yall haven't been under campus until you've been under the Academic Building...
Rock Ag
AG
Made it to the top of the O&M building. Not the observation room, up at the very top with the huge dish. Very cool views
BigMikeAg94
AG
Never made it on any roofs, although my group tried to find a way on top of the Academic Building. We were viewed with suspicion by other students, as the Academic Building had that glory-hole scandal a few years before when it was open 24/7.

Had three excursions into the tunnels - first was a brief one near the Reed Building. Tunnel was about 5' high, so you had to stoop down to walk. Came to a tunnel junction with hissing pipes, so we didn't continue. As we came back to the entrance we thought we heard police chatter, but it was just pedestrians on the sidewalk - their voices echoed strangely down the portal.

Second time we entered between Walton and Haas, near and old building who's name I forgot (since been torn down). We made it down towards the physical plant, saw some immense tiled room, made it back to the Northside dorms and entered DG - the stairwell closets had access to the tunnels. Went back towards the Physical Plant and exited near the Chemistry Building.

Third time we entered in the same place as the second night. Entered an underground room underneath Henderson Hall? (Housed the Ag Extension Service at the time). Also were underneath Military Walk - these tunnels were higher - 6'+, but had water on the floors, and were very misty and dusty (learned later that the area had high concentrations of asbestos). We crossed the street in front of Cain Hall and came out right at the front door, where we were confronted by an RA (we said we were looking for a dropped ring). Final stretch found us inside the sub-basement of the MSC, unbeknownst to us. We were discovered because one of our group was drunk and loud. We fled from UPD (successfully) in 2-3 groups scattering in different directions.

Never saw any cameras or laser sensors, as we were warned about, but I'd echo other comments - don't try it; its not worth the risk. We got very, very lucky that we were not caught.
bco2003
AG
YouTube of tunnels. Video states they are planning on caving in the ones under the quad in the fall.

wisdom
AG
A couple buddies and I explored the steam tunnels from the Quad, north to other buildings on campus. Looking back, I should have spent that time studying.
BigMikeAg94
AG
Likewise Wisdom, likewise...also wouldn't have had to flee (successfully) from UPD. The next day I clocked .9 miles from the sidewalk outside the MSC Post Office to the creek in Research Park where I finally stopped to hide and catch my breath. I think I could have outrun Usain Bolt that night. My lungs were on fire and my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest.
Reginald Cousins
Mavlax25!
AG
Went there tonight very late when I thought nobody was on campus. I found the entrance to the tunnels in front of Duncan. However it is around a lot of current construction and I was stopped by UPD who questioned me and my roommate and nearly took us to jail. Any current student is highly encouraged to not go there as UPD threatened to report us and get is kicked out of the school. Looking back, the adventure to find an easy access point to the tunnel was fun and thrilling, but DO NOT get anywhere near the construction fences unless you want trouble.

Best of luck on your adventures Ags. I don't recommend it but I feel like if you make it, it could totally be worth it.
Mavlax25!
AG
And honestly, I'm 99% positive that was the main entrance just to the right of the main Duncan entrance. Can anyone confirm this is the correct one? There were two very large metal plates that were not locked down. It was as easy as lifting the plates up. I was able to look down and see it was far enough down to not see the bottom, then UPD rolled up and busted the party

eric76
AG
koppelman7
AG
As a current student, reading through these was AWESOME. Not sure if ill ever find the huevos to actually try any of it, but the idea of it is thrilling.
eric76
AG
eric76
AG
eric76
AG
jeffk said:

Secret doors in Evans and Cushing - check.
Front balcony and roof of Admin building - check.

Steam tunnels - sadly not checked.
At one time, they had a guard at each of the doors of Evans Library. Whenever you were leaving, they would check to see if any library books you might have had been checked out. To the best of my recollection, it was always fairly old men who checked your books at the doors.

Also, there was a computer center on the second floor of Cushing. They would routinely change the layout, but usually you would get to it through the stacks. For a while, there was a second door that you could go through to leave through Cushing instead, but I don't think that most people noticed that door.

So when they had both ways in and out of the computer center, you could exit the library through Cushing and avoid the old men at the main doors of Evans completely.

Later, when they opened the new entrance on the East side and closed the North and South entrances, they installed a system of little magnetized strips in the books. When you would check out the book, they would run it over the scanner so it wouldn't set off the alarms.

Once while I was a grad student, I had a fairly large book checked out and I could see the magnetized strip in it the binding. I reached in and pulled it out to look at it. When I checked the book in, the guy at the desk was puzzled that it didn't have a magnetized strip and so he set it aside to put a new strip in it.

A couple of weeks later, another grad student and I went to the library and found a large book where we could easily remove the magnetized strip. We then took that down to to the first floor and waited for someone to walk by with easy availability of planting the magnetic strip on them. After a couple of minutes, one girl walked by with a sweater with a hood on it (it was winter) and so we dropped the magnetic strip into her hood and then sat back to watch the fun.

Sure enough, when she walked through the detector, they started buzzing. They didn't have a guard at the time (sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't) and since she had a completely clean conscience, she never even thought that it might be her setting off the alarm and so she just calmly kept walking. That took all the fun out of it and so we never tried that again.
OasisMan
AG
Mucho austin said:

Top of the MSC a few times. Accessed from the window in the bathroom by Room 201
I went on top of MSC several times from 01-05. There was an outside stairwell in the area in the middle the MSC by the water feature. It was completely unobstructed and only partially hidden. My friend and I went up there several times but there was not much to do up there.
OasisMan
AG
OasisMan said:

top of msc

there are / were stairs outside back by the fountain closer to Rumors, weren't blocked of at all, so figured no harm no foul
ahhh

I see I wrote this in 2012...
92Ag95
AG
I lived down there rent free the whole time I was at A&M. Took my shower every week at G. Rollie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.