Job Network
Sponsored by

Law enforcement question for my son

3,169 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ccmbball
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First off, some of this will sound like bragging...because it is. I'm a proud papa....so, sorry about that.

My son graduated last May from a early college HS with his Associates in Criminal Justice from Lone Star College. He was on the President's list most semesters.

He's currently a "first year Junior" at Sam Houston State Univ studying Criminal Justice with a minor in Homeland Security studies. He made the Dean's list this past fall. He's on pace to graduate in May 2025. He's probably going to have an internship with a major university's police dept this summer.

Here's the issue. When he graduates, he will have just turned 20.

At all of the career fairs and mixers they have at Sam, he's basically been told by the organizations he wants to work for (FBI, etc.) that he's untouchable until he turns 21.

He's a bit discouraged and we are trying to come up with some options that will get him experience while he waits...

Obviously, one of them is to start grad school which he isn't super keen on.

He could also find a local PD or Sheriff's office that would hire him on as a 20 year old...but he and I both feel that he'd need to stick around there for 2-3 years before trying again with the FBI.

Any other options anyone can think of to constructively pass the 10 months between graduation and when he turns 21?

AggieStan
He won't get in FBI regardless. Needs military or law experience
lunchbox
AggieStan said:

He won't get in FBI regardless. Needs military or law experience
Not entirely true. They recruit straight from college for certain roles. I have another family member that went straight from graduating with a humanities degree to FBI academy.

They also wouldn't be actively recruiting undergrads on campus at Sam if it were impossible for them to be hired.
AggieStan
Not for SA

Read read online
lunchbox
AggieStan said:

Not for SA

Read read online
I never said SA was his goal...even for something such as a surveillance role, he would have to be 21 to be considered.
DiskoTroop
SHSU CJ grad here. Look into corporate security. An internship with access control systems, video systems, investigations into safety incidents or ethics issues all sets a good base.

Happy to assist if you want to DM me.
AJ02
AG
Can I ask what highschool he went to? Stepdaughter was just accepted to a highschool that can earn her something like 60 college credit hours, and wondering if your son went to the same one.
lunchbox
AJ02 said:

Can I ask what highschool he went to? Stepdaughter was just accepted to a highschool that can earn her something like 60 college credit hours, and wondering if your son went to the same one.
Infinity Early College HS in New Caney ISD.

Most medium sized districts (and above) have something set up with the local community college.

Best part was aside from a few fees (less than $250 total), everything was "free" (my ISD taxes paid for it, I guess). He ended up rolling 69 hours to Sam because that was the transfer limit...but he took 72 at Lone Star.
AgLA06
AG
I can't speak to this specific situation.

From the outside looking in, my uneducated suggestion is instead of focusing on graduating early, maybe focussing on taking advantage of opportunities he may not get after graduating.

Does he have a minor in something that could help him with this final goal? Could he take language classes or a focus in something through the university or other programs that would make him more appealing as an applicant?

Can he start stacking internships (not just summer time) that would make him stand out compared to other applicants and just graduate on time?

To be honest, doing 2 or 3 internships (especially paid) and adding qualifications they would find appealing even if it means graduating a semester or 2 later could potentially help him more than trying to get a job in a limited situation for 10 months after.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I like the idea of learning a language. It isn't like you're NOT going to need to know Spanish.
I sent my daughter to a Spanish school in San Juan that also helped them find accomodation.
Be warned though, the drinking age in Puerto Rico is only 18.

In all seriousness, I'd have him take a good hard look at:
California Highway Patrol
Los Angeles Police Department (just because it's so big, there would be plenty of opportunities - SWAT, etc.)
Or a well run smaller town PD such as Burbank, Glendale, or Pasadena, California.

Last time I looked, CHP was paying $85,000/yr for recruits and Rookies out of the Academy were higher than that. With overtime, you're looking at $100k pretty quickly, not to mention all the opportunities you wouldn't get in a smaller department.

Or, another route would be to join the Military for a few years and get all of his security clearances sorted out.

https://chpmadeformore.com/

Quote:

Upon graduation from the CHP Academy, cadets are promoted to the position of officer and will make a base salary up to $117,000.
DiskoTroop
My guess is if he's graduating with an undergrad at 20, he ain't looking for a patrol job. Forensics? Intelligence? Not sure. OP, let's talk.
Koko Chingo
AG
The FBI website says Special Agents have to be 23 (not sure how they picked 23).

https://fbijobs.gov/special-agents#eligibility

If he wants to be a special agent, that's almost 4 years. I would get clarification on that number first.

Sam is known for its criminal justice program. I would assume their career center and people in the department have relationships with recruiters at the FBI, DPS, and all the big police departments in the state.

I assume your son is not the only one who has been in this position (especially if its 23 vs 21). Has he talked with the career center or people in his department? … been to a career fair and talked with an FBI recruiter directly? …

He should reach out to an FBI recruiter and also his department and career center.

FBI Recruiter Houston: https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/houston/recruitment
_lefraud_
AG
Texas Air National Guard
lunchbox
Koko Chingo said:

The FBI website says Special Agents have to be 23 (not sure how they picked 23).

https://fbijobs.gov/special-agents#eligibility

If he wants to be a special agent, that's almost 4 years. I would get clarification on that number first.

Sam is known for its criminal justice program. I would assume their career center and people in the department have relationships with recruiters at the FBI, DPS, and all the big police departments in the state.

I assume your son is not the only one who has been in this position (especially if its 23 vs 21). Has he talked with the career center or people in his department? … been to a career fair and talked with an FBI recruiter directly? …

He should reach out to an FBI recruiter and also his department and career center.

FBI Recruiter Houston: https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/houston/recruitment
Thanks everyone for the responses. Right now, we are gathering info on options before really deep-diving into something. I agree about better learning Spanish...I'm sure the 2 years in high school have mostly left his memory banks.

He does have a minor in progress in Homeland Security studies. The best part about this minor is that they focus on teaching critical thinking...which is lacking these days.

Regarding the quoted text above, he has talked with FBI recruiters and agents who come in to teach a couple of times. They hang out in the Criminal Justice building a lot and just network with the students on top of the career fairs that they have. They are the ones who have told him about the age limit.

Thanks again everyone...
SweaterVest
AG
I may be able to help and can answer some questions about opportunities, etc. If you post an email or phone number I'll reach out to you.
lunchbox
SweaterVest said:

I may be able to help and can answer some questions about opportunities, etc. If you post an email or phone number I'll reach out to you.
Thanks - email removed
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Has he thought about game warden academy? Law enforcement career with the fringe benefit of enjoying the outdoors at the same time.
lunchbox
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Has he thought about game warden academy? Law enforcement career with the fringe benefit of enjoying the outdoors at the same time.
It's on the list...thanks!
SweaterVest
AG
Got it and emailed, feel free to delete
bloom
Have him join the Facebook page Aggies Hiring Aggies. There is a person with the Defense Intelligence Agency who posts jobs and internships on a regular basis. Might be a good contact
CrottyKid
AG
Internship is a good option.

I'm a professor of criminology. I can't help a whole lot with agency job placement, but I can volunteer to speak with you and your son about graduate programs and some of the connections our program has.
Lake08
No offense, but why can't your son post this request
AgLA06
AG
Your asking why his non-Aggie son didn't post this on TexAgs?
Lake08
AgLA06 said:

Yes
Bassmaster
AG
Lake08 said:

AgLA06 said:

Yes
Yes, shame on OP for attempting to gather more information for his son (who seems like a real go-getter and undoubtedly is also gathering information on his own). What a terrible father.
lunchbox
I do apologize for clogging up the board.

Yes, my son is doing his own research. I just thought the Aggie Network might have some thoughts that we had not considered. Thank you to everyone who reached out and offered advice.

Plus, asking him to participate on these boards would lower his IQ.
cslifer
Several folks I went to the academy with ended at federal agencies. All of them were hired after they had worked for a couple of years. Personally I would encourage him to get on with a PD or SO and build his resume that way. CJ majors aren't particularly hard to come by so the actual experience will help his application quite a bit. One issue he may run into is he is under 21, and some places may not even talk to him until then. Definitely do NOT pay for the academy yourself then try and find a job. There are tons of agencies hiring that will send him to school.
AJ02
AG
What about Border Patrol? My BIL did it and got "loaned" out to ICE on assignments. The former owner of our house was BP, then became an Air Marshall before going back and being a trainer for new BP agents. Seems like a good way to get your foot in the door with several agencies.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Quote:

Plus, asking him to participate on these boards would lower his IQ.
Clean up on aisle 4!

Great job dad. I can add that I have a family member in the FBI with no military background. He worked in other areas of government first, just to gain the clearance status he needed. Once he achieved that he got on with the FBI.
TW1993
AG
Have him take a look at the FBI vacancy announcements on USAjobs.gov. The hiring requirements are listed. The FBI has some specific hiring authorities for hiring people with specific backgrounds and education- military/LE, cybersecurity/technology, healthcare/medical, psychology/counseling, aacounting/finance, legal, etc. Getting another degree or at least a minor in one of those specialties is going to do much more to get him hired than a CJ major.
CrottyKid
AG
This came across my desk today. Check it out: https://clarkedsfellowship.org/clarke-ds-fellowship/eligibility/
Gabster43213
Saw a billboard last week advertising Plano PD at $102K,
TexasAggie73
AG
CrottyKid said:

Internship is a good option.

I'm a professor of criminology. I can't help a whole lot with agency job placement, but I can volunteer to speak with you and your son about graduate programs and some of the connections our program has.

Where are you a professor at? My daughter is a professor at UNT criminology. She got her bachelor at A&M in sociology and psychology. Then her masters and PhD at UTD.
ccmbball
AG
If your son is still considering it, here is another plug for the FBI!

First, the majority of positions are non-agent roles and don't have the age restrictions agents do. The Bureau is looking for smart, dependable people who are willing to learn and uphold the constitution. And they recruit across pretty much all college majors.

Second, the FBI requires a Top Secret clearance, which can take a year or more to complete. It is encouraged to work while the background check is ongoing to continue gaining work experience. With that said, knowing the timeline for background check helps keep expectations in check and aids in planning during that period.

Third, it can be easier to move into an agent role if you are already an FBI employee (you already have the security clearance, know the FBI 'system', etc.), and truthfully it gives one valuable experience working with those in non-agent roles after becoming an agent. Additionally, the FBI is trying to augment the military/law enforcement recruiting pipelines for their agent cadre, and this is one of the best talent pools they have.

If he's interested in going the FBI route, I'm happy to chat further; I just spent a few years there (even did a little recruiting) and have a little bit of insight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.