Job Network
Sponsored by

New job, second offer

6,019 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Funky Winkerbean
Mike Hancho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you read the original I mentioned that I dont work alot, honestly maybe 10 hrs a week. Extremely chil wfh job
Mike Hancho
all my coworkers are 1099 as well
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
ktownag08 said:

Take the offer to your current employer and ask that they make you a full time employee matching what the other company is giving you. If they don't, take the other gig.

You're a 1099 contractor so I'd hold no grudge if you left for something full time. It's kind of expected.
This. You said your a contract employee. If they want loyalty they would signed you up full time. Worry about #1 and take the full time gig with benefits and higher pay. You don't owe your current "employer" anything. If they want you that bad then they should hire you full time.
Mike Hancho
Again,

All my coworkers and I are 1099. It's a full time job, 8-5 ET. I know my bosses do this for tax purposes which I believe is illegal, I'm not paid on an hourly base. I get a check every month for the same amount.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Mike Hancho said:

Again,

All my coworkers and I are 1099. It's a full time job, 8-5 ET. I know my bosses do this for tax purposes which I believe is illegal, I'm not paid on an hourly base. I get a check every month for the same amount.

Why do you keep regurgitating this? Everyone gets it.
Mike Hancho
People keep thinking I'm part time, paid hourly, the only employee not W2
ElephantRider
AG
Sounds like a pretty sweet gig if that's all you have to actually work
AgLA06
AG
Mike Hancho said:

People keep thinking I'm part time, paid hourly, the only employee not W2

We get how it works. It doesn't seem like you do.
FightinTAC08
AG
if you like your 10 hour a week job that requires you do be available 40 hours a week then keep it. but know that you are very likely misclassified and you have to pay the employer taxes rather than your employer. that is 7.65% of your own money in addition to the benefits you are missing out on. just because they pay you straight/flat monthly rate doesn't make it right or legal.

having a chill job is nice but if you want more money do what others have said. make them match and make you an employee or go to the new gig.

go read this form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf

and this form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8919.pdf

OnlyForNow
AG
Do you get paid for 8 hours a day?

Depending on the benefit package, that's ~10k added to your take home.
OnlyForNow
AG
Why would it be illegal to have a staff full of 1099 employees?

If things are true across industries, you're making much closer to your billable rate than a 'salaried' employee.

And at my company, we hire people based on a rate per hour @ 2080 hours a year, but they can earn more than their base rate per pay period by working more than the minimum, 8 hours a day. It's not OT unless we classify you as being non-exempt.

Mike Hancho
Because I'm technically a contractor but I'm treated as a FTE, aka I have to be available from 8-4ET, I am told what to do etc...

I believe that walks the line for more classification of W-2. I know for a fact my bosses do this for tax reasons even though they wont admit it.
Mike Hancho
I probably dont, ive always been W2
OnlyForNow
AG
Mike Hancho said:

Because I'm technically a contractor but I'm treated as a FTE, aka I have to be available from 8-4ET, I am told what to do etc...

I believe that walks the line for more classification of W-2. I know for a fact my bosses do this for tax reasons even though they wont admit it.
Just because you're a 1099 contractor, have to work 8 hours a day, and are told what to do (isn't everyone except the boss told what to do at a job?) doesn't mean 1099 doesn't apply to you....

You picked a 1099 job that requires at least 40 hours a week and to be available to your superiors that's called work, it's not illegal. Now, you can't be a Part-Time employee and have this schedule for more than 3 consecutive pay periods, otherwise they'd have to offer you benefits, but as a 1099 contractor, you're treated as an "at-will" employee, meaning you understand the risks involved in that position - no cobra, no company Workers Comp, no benefits, etc. normally this comes with higher than counterpart pay.

We have 1099 contract workers that work 50-75 hours a week when we run a massive field-based project, if they miss a day without a legit excuse their contract is terminated.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Sounds like you're pretty well paid for 10 hours per week.
OldArmy97
AG
So what did you decide to do - stay 1099 and work 10 hours a week with no benefits and wfh or become an FTE and work 40 hours min with benefits and a cubicle?
AggieOO
20K higher wouldn't be enough to make me go into an office. Benefits, maybe depending on the situation and cost out of pocket for that. But it all boils down to what % increase that is. if you are making 60K with no benefits as a 1099, then that 20K and benefits is worth a lot. If you are making 300K, then its not, at least to me. I've been fully remote for 7+ years, it'd take a crapload of money for me to go back into an office daily. Just the thought of having to sit in an office, commute, etc pains me.
infinity ag
Mike Hancho said:

Howdy,

. I've been with my job for 3 months but received a new offer. I like my job, it's wfh, very laid back, great work life balance but it's not the best pay and no benefits.

New offer is better but it's fully in office and 8-5 cubicle type.

How should I best approach my current company to convince them to pay me more without upsetting them…

Any advice helps

I have been working for 25 years. soon to be 26.

Main lesson: What is best for YOU?

If you like the chill wfh relaxed job then stay where you are. Don't bring up the other offer and piss them off. Everyone has different levels of ambition. If you are the aggressive go-getter type who wants to rise in his career, then just jump. I recommend not worrying about a few 1000s of pay to make the jump. Thnk strategically about where you want to be in 5 years and align.

To hell with employers. Do what is right for you. Be selfish. Everyone else is.
infinity ag
Or maybe consider doing BOTH jobs?

Take up the new one, and tell the old company that you can do work off hours.

I had a friend in Seattle who did 3 tech jobs at the same time. Extreme for sure. He got fired from one and laid off from the other and now he has 1 though.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Mike Hancho said:

about 20k plus benefits, dont have benefits now and am a 1099 contractor. But I honestly only work maybe 2 hours a day right now

Find something to do along with your current job.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.