Job Network
Sponsored by

Job Search For New Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)

2,589 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Aggie19Eighty
Aggie19Eighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter is TAMU Class of '21 with an undergraduate degree in Health. She is finishing up PT School at UTMB in Galveston and will graduate in May 2024 with her Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT). She will walk the stage in August 2024. It appears UTMB has no "job placement" services to speak of, so you are on your own to start your career. Can anyone on the boards here provide any advice to her on where/when to start putting in applications ( I am sure most of this process will be online) to find that first job? She is interested in the neuro side of the PT world and has very good grades. Thanks!
Mumbo Jimbo
Apply at every rehab hospital.
Each major city has a couple.

Dallas
UT Southwestern Zale Lipshy would be my first call/search
Austin-Lakeway
Baylor S&W Day Neuro

I have personal experience with both and they are both top notch as far as patient care.

Congrats on your daughter's accomplishment, she will be fine.

Aggie19Eighty
AG
Mumbo Jimbo:
When should the application process begin ?
Possibly as soon after all course work, including her last clinical rotation in San Antonio (Baptist Hospital), has been completed or wait until graduation with diploma in hand in August? Also, she may want to stay in San Antonio, if there are opportunities there. Otherwise Dallas or Austin will work. Thanks so much for your response. Much appreciated.
TexasMom
Look at the website of Texas Physical Therapy Association.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Thanks TexasMom.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
PT's are needed (in a very bad way) in public education. This path offers the option of being a district employee, 1099, or via agency. I would not exercise the last option. I'm my opinion, the other two offer a much greater upside.

Benefits of employee-
Retirement pension
200 workdays/yr
Can supplement income with 1099 work
Great schedule for a family
Should make a reasonable starting salary (65-85k) in the urban, suburban area districts.

Benefits as a 1099:
Controls how much she works-great schedule
Hourly rate is $85-$90

Hit me up if you'd like more info. Full disclosure, I'm the Executive Director for a Texas ISD, and a school psychologist with 20 years in the field.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Marooned:
I'm wondering if there is a PT need everywhere or specific to the education area. If only in the education arena, can you shed any light on why that might be happening? I will pass on your information to her. And thanks very much!
aggie4231
AG
My sister did her DPT in San Antonio. She ended working for the clinic practice that she did her clinical hours at.

I'd suggest asking her advisors for recommendations. Ask her supervisors at the clinics that she does any rotations or clinical hours at.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Aggie19Eighty said:

Marooned:
I'm wondering if there is a PT need everywhere or specific to the education area. If only in the education arena, can you shed any light on why that might be happening? I will pass on your information to her. And thanks very much!

Oh, PT's are needed in the medical sector as much as education. The biggest difference between education vs medical/private setting is the pace. Medical is all about # of patients billed, so you have to be quick/efficient to keep your numbers up. The pay is usually better on this side, but that's typical when compared to a government funded position.
agz win
AG
Encompass Rehab. The one in The Woodlands has good PT department
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Thanks to all of you that have responded. Some very good information has been provided. Merry Christmas.
redaszag99
C Foster has several PT practices in league city area.

Texas children's and Methodist both have PTs
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Thanks Red. I'll pass it on to her. Appreciate it!
TNAg99
AG
I'm in San Antonio and run an outpatient PT clinic for a hospital system. We often hire new grads or experienced PTs for our neuro population. If she's interested in the SA area, have her call the clinic at 2 one zero 5 four 1 zero 0 five 8 and ask for the site supervisor.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Will pass this on TNAg. Thank you so much!
GT_Aggie2015
AG
My sister is a DPT and pretty well connected in the pediatric space in Houston. If your daughter is interested, I can get them connected.

There's PT jobs everywhere btw and she said she could start applying now it she's going to sit for her license at or shortly after graduation.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
GT:

She's doing her last rotation at Baptist Hospital in SA right now and has started studying for her board exam and plans on taking it in June or July 2024 this summer. Like any other profession, there are jobs that are better than others, so I've encouraged her to start applying now to maybe find a more attractive position. You have confirmed that this is the correct time to begin the job search process and see what's out there. Thanks so much.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
GT
I'll check with Melanie and get back with you and your sister if she's interested in the pediatric area. Thanks again.
Greg
GT_Aggie2015
M&WAgs
AG
We own a PT clinic in Florence, KY and will be looking to grow our PT staff this summer. Let me know if she is interested in relocating.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
ttt
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.