Job Network
Sponsored by

Teachers leaving the field

8,364 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by zooguy96
CampingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know any teachers who recommend teaching. Just seems like the industry is in a bleak spot.
Raptor
AG
I'm an administrator (now), but taught for 16 years and would recommend teaching to anyone willing to walk into a career that is truly rewarding IF you're in a school/district that will support you. Make no mistake about it, it's a two way road to be a successful teacher in today's world. Without the support, it can be hard to do your job. Even with the support, you still have to work hard to know every student by name and by need.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

AustinCountyAg
agree. the town, district, and administrators play a role together in making the profession worth while or not.
classicdoug
AG
Tomorrow is my wife's last day teaching in public schools. She's been a teacher for around 20 years. I'm so glad she is able to escape. She will be in an office at Blinn, and making less, but with Blinn she will still be able to put into TRS. Public schools have a huge problem, and it's only getting worse.
zooguy96
classicdoug said:

Tomorrow is my wife's last day teaching in public schools. She's been a teacher for around 20 years. I'm so glad she is able to escape. She will be in an office at Blinn, and making less, but with Blinn she will still be able to put into TEA. Public schools have a huge problem, and it's only getting worse.

Good for her. She'll be happier. If she has her Masters and some experience, she should be able to teach developmental classes. My wife did that at Austin CC and made decent $$.

I'm still waiting…..
Captain Winky
Well, the two professions that complain the most about their chosen profession are teachers and nurses....
victory
AG
Raptor said:

I'm an administrator (now), but taught for 16 years and would recommend teaching to anyone willing to walk into a career that is truly rewarding IF you're in a school/district that will support you. Make no mistake about it, it's a two way road to be a successful teacher in today's world. Without the support, it can be hard to do your job. Even with the support, you still have to work hard to know every student by name and by need.
Unfortunately very FEW districts operate like this anymore. I'm 19 years in and gets worse every year. Admin job now is not to support teachers, its to make the parents happy or as few parent issues as possible. Not realistic with the way parents are now. There is also ZERO accountability for students from a behavioral standpoint and they know it. Much like the real world. Sad times
BiggiesLX
What leverage do parents have over schools now that wasn't around in the past? I'd assume the majority of public school parents couldn't afford to send their kid to a private school or be homeschooled.
victory
AG
They are just a huge headache and nobody wants to deal with them. The leverage was created when they will go to no ends to get their way. They don't stop, so admin doesn't want to deal with them so the parents usually get their way. Teaching or coaching, its damn near impossible to hold kids with those type of parents accountable.
zooguy96
Last day of teaching middle school is next Friday. I'm done with teaching. I'm not renewing my license.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Congrats! What did you find?

I've put in a lot of applications, but so far no bites.
zooguy96
Ag_N_Houston said:

Temporarily Asst Mgr at a grocery store. I found this one through my network. I don't start for a month. Have some other irons in the fire, though.
cevans_40
AG
victory said:

They are just a huge headache and nobody wants to deal with them. The leverage was created when they will go to no ends to get their way. They don't stop, so admin doesn't want to deal with them so the parents usually get their way. Teaching or coaching, its damn near impossible to hold kids with those type of parents accountable.
This right here. If admin would just tell the parents to "get with the program or find another" most issues would resolve themselves.

However, if a parent really wants to force the issue, they will have their child tested for some disability, which they will invariably find. Then they will be assigned modifications or accommodations that are impossible to satisfy and this is when lawyers are called.
zooguy96
cevans_40 said:

victory said:

This right here. If admin would just tell the parents to "get with the program or find another" most issues would resolve themselves.

However, if a parent really wants to force the issue, they will have their child tested for some disability, which they will invariably find. Then they will be assigned modifications or accommodations that are impossible to satisfy and this is when lawyers are called.

A lot of the issues happened after Covid. Covid ruined education. Some kids had up to two years of not interacting with other kids in person. most kids no longer know how to communicate. They think communicating is putting their crap up on Instagram, Snapchat, etc.

Also, there is usually no accountability on the students. Slaps on the wrist; 3 day suspensions; nothing that really means anything. If their parents whine enough, most administration will cower to the parents. This seems to be the rule at most schools rather than the extreme.
AgLA06
AG
zooguy96 said:

cevans_40 said:

victory said:

A lot of the issues happened after Covid. Covid ruined education. Some kids had up to two years of not interacting with other kids in person. most kids no longer know how to communicate. They think communicating is putting their crap up on Instagram, Snapchat, etc.

Also, there is usually no accountability on the students. Slaps on the wrist; 3 day suspensions; nothing that really means anything. If their parents whine enough, most administration will cower to the parents. This seems to be the rule at most schools rather than the extreme.
My wife was a teacher for 20ish years. Our now 5 year old, missed out on life during her most formidable years of development. Even with my wife seeing what was happening and working on it, she need a year of speech therapy. And we go to private schools which were much better about Covid.

I can't imagine what it did to other kids without anyone trained to recognize issues or who gives a damn. It's going to hurt society as a whole the kids under 6 during Covid "graduate" from high school.
AgLA06
AG
zooguy96 said:

Ag_N_Houston said:

Temporarily Asst Mgr at a grocery store. I found this one through my network. I don't start for a month. Have some other irons in the fire, though.
My wife is no longer a teacher, but is still in the industry. After 20 years teaching at a tier 1 private school, she saw the writing on the wall and decided to go back and get some specialized certifications that allows her to treat dyslexia and other developmental / reading disabilities.

It wasn't cheap, took 2 years, and was a little scary walking away from a steady paycheck, but it was totally worth it. She has her own company, the parents are her customers, her hours are mostly still during the school day, but less and more flexible. She's making more, working less, and has the flexibility to participate in our kid's school for class trips, parties, etc. when she never got to before.

She calls it tutoring, but the reality is she's a child dyslexia therapist and she's really happy she went this route.
zooguy96
AgLA06 said:

zooguy96 said:

Ag_N_Houston said:

My wife is no longer a teacher, but is still in the industry. After 20 years teaching at a tier 1 private school, she saw the writing on the wall and decided to go back and get some specialized certifications that allows her to treat dyslexia and other developmental / reading disabilities.

It wasn't cheap, took 2 years, and was a little scary walking away from a steady paycheck, but it was totally worth it. She has her own company, the parents are her customers, her hours are mostly still during the school day, but less and more flexible. She's making more, working less, and has the flexibility to participate in our kid's school for class trips, parties, etc. when she never got to before.

She calls it tutoring, but the reality is she's a child dyslexia therapist and she's really happy she went this route.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to staying in the field (albeit, not in k-12 education). I'm looking at community colleges and 4 year colleges, and have some irons in the fire.

But, I'll never go back to K-12 public education. Not after teaching these disrespectful middle school students.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.