Job Network
Sponsored by

Teachers leaving the field

8,362 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by zooguy96
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is considering her options because she may be rifed. She has a degree in english. Anyone with a similar background have success at making the transition? What jobs did you end up finding?
CoachB2
Rifed? Sounds serious. T&P
Maroonedinaustin
AG
RIF=reduction in force.
TommyGun
AG
Administrative assistant is one option. The one for our group was a former teacher as are a couple of others in our office. Pretty much the same pay-scale and instead of taking care of a bunch of kids all day you take care of business pros. I'm not sure which is the better job though haha!
aTm2004
AG
^
Business pros because you don't have their helicopter parents to deal with as well who constantly take little Johnny's side, even if he's standing over the corpse with a bloody knife in his hand.
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
Look at the pay per hour worked. Teaching will pay much better
BigAggie06
AG
Braxton ... My wife is sitting at home right now grading ... Teachers put in a lot of hours outside of school and spend a lot of money out of pocket which isnt reimbursed and do not get much credit for it.

As the spouse of a teacher I think it is BS that I foot the bill for a bunch of extras for everyone else's children.
jakal0722
Marooned: One suggestion is to get in to Museum Education. I didn't care for formal classroom settings but I love working in an informal setting. Have worked at a history site and just started a new job at a science museum as an educator. Absolutely love it. I would only suggest this if good pay isn't on the top of your requirements list though.
TommyGun
AG
That does sound like a pretty cool job jakal!
ZooGuy
AG
Depending on qualifications, she could go into (based on my wife and I both being teachers last year and neither of us teaching in public schools this year):

Adjunct Instructor - my wife is an adjunct now, and loves it. Students want to be there, much less hours, pay is about half. Not too bad for a part time job.

Informal Education (zoo, aquarium, museum, non-profit, etc.) - this has been my field for the majority of my career. I have enjoyed it, although, again, doesn't pay the best. I make about what a teacher makes now, and I have a Masters and 12 years of experience. But, again, fun job.

Admin/HR - I also did this for 3 years. Same sort of skills as teaching, albeit much easier (don't have to work with nagging parents or butthead kids).

Training - Directly transferrable. Think about what teachers do - in effect, they are training students to perform for a test.

Teachers who have taught for a while think that teaching is the only job that they are qualified for. The fact is that if they tweak their resume enough and focus on their job duties they've accomplished from a non-academic manner (i.e. make a different resume for each job type - my teaching resume is MUCH MUCH different from my non-profit resume), they'll notice that they have many employable skills they've done for years, albeit in a different environment. Teaching is by far the most difficult job I ever had.. and by far the most frustrating, with the exception of one of the zoos I worked at, where I had a psycho boss.

[This message has been edited by ZooGuy (edited 1/30/2012 10:45a).]
Rudyjax
AG
Here's a job for a math teacher with some management experiences.

http://harland.taleo.net/careersection/sc01/jobdetail.ftl?job=1200030

Anywhere in the US.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Thanks zoo guy. I spent a few hours last night recreating my wife's resume so it would appeal to the powers that be outside of education.
62strat
AG
quote:

As the spouse of a teacher I think it is BS that I foot the bill for a bunch of extras for everyone else's children.
those expenses are deductible, FYI.
BigAggie06
AG
Only up to $250
ZooGuy
AG
Marooned,

If she is interested in non-profit education, I could point you the right direction.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
She is open to anything at this point. The only non-negotiable is the salary needs to be at least 45k. This may change later, but as for right now she is looking for a career change, and not just a job to tide her over until she can land another job. Thanks.
ZooGuy
AG
Oh, Nm then. No one in non-profit management makes 45.
zlharris654
Zooguy,

Can you tell me more about the non-profit education positions you know about?
jakal0722
I will definitely agree with you on the salary thing ZooGuy. It would be a dream day for me when they say that I was going to make even 40k a year.

ZLHarris: What are you interested in when it comes to informal education? History, conservation, science, art? That would be a good starting point to help get you going in the right direction. Also, do you have any education background (either classroom or a degree)? That can sometimes help.
zlharris654
My girlfriend is the one looking for a job. She studied education at A&M and is certified to teach elementary. Interested in any info you have regarding non profit education
ZooGuy
AG
ZL, leave an email address and I'll email you. I've worked in non-profit education for over 12 years. I'm also a certified teacher and have a masters in education.
jakal0722
Also, ZL, what area are yall looking at? That could help direct the search.
zlharris654
We are looking in the Houston area. Email address is mary.lauren.heath@gmail.com

Thanks for your help!
jakal0722
Houston Zoo has a few jobs open right now in Education. Including the Camp & Overnight Programs Manager which I would love to have if I lived in Houston still.
ZooGuy
AG
I'm sending an e-mail.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Bump
Stat Monitor Repairman
Seems like teaching nowadays is a real pain in the ass.

Hearing where a lot of kids got off track during covid and are way behind socially and academically.

Also seems like theres a lot of pressure being put on teachers.

Also hearing where parents are more aggressive, generally.

But I think the teachers unions did a disservice to their members by prolonging covid and raising hell about covid.

Teachers union members might now be paying for the sins of covid.
zooguy96
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Seems like teaching nowadays is a real pain in the ass.

Hearing where a lot of kids got off track during covid and are way behind socially and academically.

Also seems like theres a lot of pressure being put on teachers.

Also hearing where parents are more aggressive, generally.

But I think the teachers unions did a disservice to their members by prolonging covid and raising hell about covid.

Teachers union members might now be paying for the sins of covid.

All of the above are true. Teachers are leaving the field left and right. There are districts in North Texas that have 20-25% of their positions only requiring 30 hours of college because they can't find enough certified teachers.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
This thread was started the year I started teaching. I am currently applying for other jobs because I want out of teaching.
Hey Coach
AG
Ag_N_Houston said:

This thread was started the year I started teaching. I am currently applying for other jobs because I want out of teaching.

Same here! Started teaching and coaching in 2012 and I'm done.
zooguy96
I started in 2014, left for seven months, came back this year in July, and I am done.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
zooguy96 said:

I started in 2014, left for seven months, came back this year in July, and I am done.

Sounds like it was going well
zooguy96
Stringfellow Hawke said:

zooguy96 said:

Sounds like it was going well

Previous position was going well, but didn't turn out to be what it was advertised as.
78bc3
AG
Here is a short video overview of career and networking resources to help Former Student.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
ElephantRider
AG
My wife would love to leave but ultimately doesn't want to give up summers off while our kids are young. Seems like a pretty miserable job for not near enough pay.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.