Nebraska Gov endorses winner take all legislation

2,643 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Im Gipper
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/nebraska-gov-pillen-endorses-bid-restore-winner-take-all-system-presidential

So this could make a difference in the next presidential election. Currently the Cornhuskers can divide delegates to the Electoral College. This Legislation would change that.

Could be a very good thing for Trump.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Im Gipper
Is there a plausbke scenario where that 1 viote will be the difference?

I'm Gipper
kb2001
AG
nm
kb2001
AG
Im Gipper said:

Im Gipper
kb2001 said:

Im Gipper said:

What does that mean?

I'm Gipper
UntoldSpirit
AG
If Nebraska fixes this, theoretically Trump can win without Michigan, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin.

Trump wins:
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada

and all of Nebraska

He gets to 269. A tie.
If Republicans win Congress, then the House could elect him in a tie.

It's of course extremely unlikely, but that's one way it could make a difference. Even in that scenario, I don't believe they would let it happen. They'd find some new votes in Arizona if they needed to.

They are already registering record numbers of voters without any photo ID according to one report.
2023NCAggies
Im Gipper said:

So if Trump wins, Nevada, Arizona and Georgia. He is at 268, this one point would put him at 269, which would be a tie

So yeah it means a lot. IDK what happens with a tie
Im Gipper
Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

I'm Gipper
techno-ag
AG
2023NCAggies said:

Im Gipper said:

So if Trump wins, Nevada, Arizona and Georgia. He is at 268, this one point would put him at 269, which would be a tie

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Science Denier
AG
UntoldSpirit said:

If Nebraska fixes this, theoretically Trump can win without Michigan, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin.

Trump wins:
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada

and all of Nebraska

He gets to 269. A tie.

It's of course extremely unlikely, but that's one way it could make a difference. Even in that scenario, I don't believe they would let it happen. They'd find some new votes in Arizona if they needed to.

They are already registering record numbers of voters without any photo ID according to one report.
LOL, how many Republicans in the house with severe TDS would vote for Biden in that case?
LOL OLD
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Science Denier said:

UntoldSpirit said:

Trump wins:
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada

and all of Nebraska

He gets to 269. A tie.

LOL, how many Republicans in the house with severe TDS would vote for Biden in that case?
Ones in red states not planning on running for reelection? That would be political suicide for them.
Im Gipper
Quote:

Not enough to matter! I believe GOP has a 3 state advantage. There are not enough flippers to overcome that!

I'm Gipper
Reality Check
Science Denier said:

UntoldSpirit said:

Trump wins:
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada

and all of Nebraska

He gets to 269. A tie.

The vote would be unique in that each state's delegation casts one vote.
How do I get a Longhorn tag?
aggiehawg
AG
Let's revisit this for a second. the reaction from Dems to this suggests the correct pigs are squealing so there must be some reason for that. Time for a deeper dive.

Quote:

A proposal known as LB 764 would repeal a 1991 state law that splits the state's five Electoral College votes based on how each candidate performs in the state's three congressional districts. The law has twice sent one of Nebraska's electoral votes to a Democrat presidential candidate thanks to the 2nd District, which contains Omaha. The 2nd District voted for Biden in 2020 and for Obama in 2008.
Quote:

Nebraska's split vote could end up being crucial. If Biden were to win Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin but lose Georgia, Nevada, and Arizona, for example, he could still reach 270 so long as he received one of Nebraska's electoral votes.

Biden campaign officials have privately spoken with state Democrats about the possibility of the legislation passing, according to Politico.

"When you look at the map, that one electoral vote really matters in combination with other things," Jim Messina, who helped run Barack Obama's reelection campaign, told the outlet. "The easiest pathway to victory has always been the three Midwestern states plus Nebraska. They'd have to find something else too."
LINK

Still in question whether procedurally they can get passed and to the governor before the legislative session ends. Keep an eye on this.
AgResearch
AG
Bill doesn't have enough support to move forward or enough to overcome a Dem filibuster. Not happening.
aggiehawg
AG

But he may not support this bill.
2023NCAggies
Reality Check said:

Science Denier said:

UntoldSpirit said:

Trump wins:
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada

and all of Nebraska

He gets to 269. A tie.

The vote would be unique in that each state's delegation casts one vote.
That is what I thought too. I didn't think it was up to the house
Im Gipper
Quote:

I didn't think it was up to the house

It is up to the House.

Just not in the traditional vote. Each state delegation gets one vote

I'm Gipper
BonfireNerd04
Imagine the chaos that will happen if the Electoral College is 269-269. Or 270-268 but with a faithless elector. Then the President will be chosen by the House, and the VP by the Senate.
techno-ag
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

Imagine the chaos that will happen if the Electoral College is 269-269. Or 270-268 but with a faithless elector. Then the President will be chosen by the House, and the VP by the Senate.
I suspect there will be chaos regardless.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Currently, Nebraska and Maine award a single Electoral College vote to the winners of the presidential popular vote in each of the state's congressional districts. Trump won four of Nebraska's five votes in 2020. Biden won one vote, in the Omaha-based 2nd District.

McDonnell was asked whether he would support cloture, a procedure to end debate, on any bill that contains language that would switch Nebraska to a winner-take-all approach in presidential elections, including if it gets folded into legislation he supports.

"No, next question," he said.

Asked to elaborate, he said, "I'm not supporting winner-take-all. I haven't in the past when that question came up. Years ago, I was pretty clear on my position."
Welp. That's that I guess.

LINK
Ed Harley
AG
techno-ag said:

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/nebraska-gov-pillen-endorses-bid-restore-winner-take-all-system-presidential

So this could make a difference in the next presidential election. Currently the Cornhuskers can divide delegates to the Electoral College. This Legislation would change that.

Could be a very good thing for Trump.
I fully expect Trump to come out and call this cheating. He can't stand election cheating.
YouBet
AG
2023NCAggies said:

Im Gipper said:

Soccer.
JayM
UntoldSpirit said:

Trump wins:
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada

and all of Nebraska

He gets to 269. A tie.

In the last sentence, who is "they"? Could it be republicans?
Señor Chang
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

So in this scenario we could potentially have President Trump and VP Kamala?
Ellis Wyatt
Quote:

In the last sentence, who is "they"? Could it be republicans?
That would be quite a switch. It is ALWAYS democrats undermining elections and removing security measures.
aggiehawg
AG
Barring some last minute miracle, this bill is dead and will not be passed.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Science Denier said:

UntoldSpirit said:

Trump wins:
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada

and all of Nebraska

He gets to 269. A tie.

That's not how it works.

What would happen is that you'd have another J6, this time with all leftists out there and the media covering it and saying they are now "protecting" democracy. The violence would be far worse with no arrests and no prosecutions from the current DOJ. Hell, the current DOJ would have agents out there supporting the rioters.
rab79
AG
If you don't know who "they" are you are them...
txwxman
techno-ag said:

BonfireNerd04 said:

I suspect there will be chaos regardless.

Yup. Trump knows the only way he can regain office is by claiming the Dems stole the election. And then engaging in extra-judicial means to claim the presidency. He'll burn the country down to do it too.
FlyRod
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna146321

Principles over whackadoodlery carried the day. Common sense and reason FTW.
mjschiller
AG
Commie democrats already have suitcases filled with ballots ready to be counted.
Gap
AG
FlyRod said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna146321

Principles over whackadoodlery carried the day. Common sense and reason FTW.
When should we expect to see this type of allocation of electoral college votes in states like New York, Illinois, and California?
Im Gipper
aggiehawg said:

Barring some last minute miracle, this bill is dead and will not be passed.

Looks like they are going to try to get it, and tax relief, done in a special session.

https://www.wowt.com/2024/04/18/big-nebraska-tax-bill-enters-final-debate-last-day-legislative-session/

I'm Gipper
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.