Boing 737 Out of Houston Makes Emergency Landing

4,573 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Logos Stick
YourFavAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been on a plane that had an engine failure / issue during the flight. Didn't know till the pilot told us the emergency vehicles would be chasing us down as we landed.

Wouldn't have had an idea if it didn't look like a movie set when we landed!
Eyes of texas Crying
TexasAggiesWin
S
Rocky Rider said:

Logos Stick said:

Rocky Rider said:

I guess they didn't deliver the jet then?

"Is this another Boeing goof or on some other company?"

HTH
My point is Boeing selected the engine provider, integrated the engine into their platform, and then delivered the aircraft to the airline so they are in the spotlight if there was a failure; although it's sounding like if the event was caused by something like a bird strike the engine may have performed as designed.

Boeing can handle their supplier's performance offline. If they stand in the spotlight and just point a finger at their supplier, that's lame. I wouldn't buy an aircraft from a manufacturer that behaves that way and I integrate a lot of suppliers into products I deliver and I'm accountable for how the product performs.
Kansas Kid
While Boeing has its problems, this is a plane with over 22 years of service. I would think the statute of limitations on blaming them has long expired on this plane.

Kansas Kid
Rocky Rider said:

Logos Stick said:

Rocky Rider said:

I guess they didn't deliver the jet then?

"Is this another Boeing goof or on some other company?"

HTH
My point is Boeing selected the engine provider, integrated the engine into their platform, and then delivered the aircraft to the airline so they are in the spotlight if there was a failure; although it's sounding like if the event was caused by something like a bird strike the engine may have performed as designed.

Boeing can handle their supplier's performance offline. If they stand in the spotlight and just point a finger at their supplier, that's lame. I wouldn't buy an aircraft from a manufacturer that behaves that way and I integrate a lot of suppliers into products I deliver and I'm accountable for how the product performs.

Given the age of the aircraft, likely United or some prior owner replaced the engines. Even then, engine fires aren't uncommon and are almost always a non event assuming the safety built into the plane and engines worked which it clearly did in this case.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Don't think the airlines even own the engines. They're on lease.

And no way the engines on that plane were original to the airframe. They're swapped around throughout the fleet. When it's time for one to undergo a deep inspection they're removed and a new one (or refurbished one) is installed in it's place.
Logos Stick
GE owns 70% of the market share for jet engines. Every airplane manufacturer uses them. Had this been an actual engine issue, it was in no way, shape or form a Boeing issue. Unless it fell off the plane because Boeing does final assembly.

Fine, go fly Airbus...

with the same GE jet engine because they have some magical supply chain quality control that Boeing doesn't have. Good luck LOL.
Kansas Kid
Kenneth_2003 said:

Don't think the airlines even own the engines. They're on lease.

And no way the engines on that plane were original to the airframe. They're swapped around throughout the fleet. When it's time for one to undergo a deep inspection they're removed and a new one (or refurbished one) is installed in it's place.
I am sure you are right that it is power-by-the-hour on the engines. That said, UA would still have maintenance responsibility. Unless we see a rash of these happening on UA flights, I would chalk this up to a routine failure that might freak out passengers but isn't really a major incident. Pilots are well trained in how to handle it and the planes are designed for the event.
Kansas Kid
Logos Stick said:

GE owns 70% of the market share for jet engines. Every airplane manufacturer uses them. Had this been an actual engine issue, it was in no way, shape or form a Boeing issue. Unless it fell off the plane because Boeing does final assembly.

Fine, go fly Airbus...

with the same GE jet engine because they have some magical supply chain quality control that Boeing doesn't have. Good luck LOL.
Even if the engine fell off in this case, I wouldn't blame the manufacturer of the plane. Those engines have been removed a number of times for overhauls, inspections of supports, and replacement by the carrier given a 22 year service life of the plane.
Logos Stick
Good point
AggieDruggist89
AG
I'm in an AA flight into DFW now sitting in an exit row seat of a 737. The emergency exit door is ****ing ice cold. This can't be right, aren't these supposed to be insulated? My right arm is frozen.
GAC06
AG
Better buckle up
AggieDruggist89
AG
Landed safe. The exit door is no longer ice cold. It's definitely leaking.
Breggy Popup
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I'm in an AA flight into DFW now sitting in an exit row seat of a 737. The emergency exit door is ****ing ice cold. This can't be right, aren't these supposed to be insulated? My right arm is frozen.

Apparently common. I've had ice flakes come out of the AC vents before.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1051285-emergency-exit-seat-freezing-2.html
Logos Stick
AggieDruggist89 said:

Stop hitting the opioids during flight. They will help.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.