Dwight Edwards resigns as pastor of Grace Bible Church - College Station

28,641 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RyanFromTexas
Malibu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was from 2003 and this thread got bumped, meaning a really old thread got brought back to the top of the message board. That said Dwightfam, as a person not involved in the church in the original post, who lives in out of state, and just interested in salacious gossip, anything you'd like to share?

That was kind of a joke by the way, kind of…I am a human and somewhat morbidly curious about scandals far as I think most of us probably are. If you are related at all to the pastor in the original post I hope that whatever happened all those years ago is in the past and everybody is healthier and happier for it. Godspeed.
kurt vonnegut
AG
This was all before my team on this forum - I don't recognize any of those names.
Dwightfam
I know how this works… I've posted under another name for many years just not that far back.

What do you people want to hear? Dwight is currently ministering at First Baptist in Houston and does speaking engagements around the country as well. His oldest son passed away a few years ago, and his youngest son suffers from the same disease.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

What do you people want to hear?
That he brought scandal on the church and is disqualified from ministering. But lucky for him he doesn't believe in church oversight so he can find any baptist/nondenom church that will take him.
Malibu
When I was a Christian I distinctly remember that message. Screw up once and that's that. The real Christian message is distinctly one of no second chances or ability to have a change of heart and be a better person.
Dwightfam
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

That he brought scandal on the church and is disqualified from ministering. But lucky for him he doesn't believe in church oversight so he can find any baptist/nondenom church that will take him.

Ah, MQB the troll.

Way to represent Christendom
Zobel
AG
That's a really facile interpretation of the situation. There is mercy available for everyone - as St Isaac the Syrian says, "As a handful of sand in the boundless ocean, so are the sins of all flesh in comparison with God's providence and mercy. As a copious spring could not be stopped up with a handful of dust, so the Creator's compassion cannot be conquered by the wickedness of creatures." No one is denying second chances, improvement, becoming holy. That is part and parcel to being a Christian. The Church is full of sinners, its a hospital for the sick, that's why we go.

At the same time, being a priest or a clergyman has requirements over and above that. The Church has held this since the beginning - way back in Nicaea in 325 AD the principle was established that for the priesthood "the Church requires that which is blameless." St Basil the Great writes "On the matter of priesthood, if you fell into a sin of the flesh...even if you didn't know that these sins are impediments to the priesthood, you are not allowed to become a priest … examine yourself well, and if you fell even once even out of ignorance you cannot become a priest. No matter how great a need the Church has. God will care for His Church...If you have an impediment to the priesthood, you are able by repentance and confession to perform miracles and to become a saint, but not a priest."

There are, and should be, higher standards for being a clergyman than being a layperson. For example, the Apostolic Canons (c 400) say "If a bishop, presbyter, or deacon is caught in fornication, perjury, or theft, let him be deposed."

St Cyril of Alexandria (c 442) wrote "if [a bishop is] unworthy, do not let them leave by retiring, rather let them be judged for [their] actions." In other words, a bishop who should be deposed does not have the option of simply retiring to avoid it. It certainly is not acceptable for a clergyman who has some kind of scandal worthy of being deposed to move churches and continue to act in a pastoral capacity. As St Basil says, they can become saints, but they should no longer be pastors.

Edit to add - I am speaking in generalities. I know nothing about this particular matter, and am not commenting on it at all.
Malibu
This may be one instance where the Bible might be more important than citing old church history in describing the requirements of the priesthood. I don't have a dog in this fight since I am not a believer that the Bible is the actual word of God, but I would assume using the original source is probably a best practice. And as a secular person, one who was raised Christian and still sometimes goes to church and gets meaning from the homilies as a way to live a better life, some of the attitudes exhibited in this thread more or less exemplify why cultural Christianity is something that I'm not especially interested in.
Martin Q. Blank
Titus 1:7 Since an overseer manages God's household, he must be blameless.
AGC
AG
Dwightfam said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Ah, MQB the troll.

Way to represent Christendom

So I remember hearing about this when it happened. Will you please tell us all that transpired in fullness of truth so that we can evaluate MQB's claims? Because based on what I know from then and current church members I'm not sure he should be a pastor. Congregant? Sure, there is forgiveness and restoration. But pastor?

So bridge the gap for us please. What's the full story? What qualifies him to preach again? Or should he never have been disqualified in the first place?
Malibu
Right that's all well and good. I don't have a particular issue with a pastor being fired over conduct when they're leading a congregation. What I do have issue with is bumping an 18 year old thread and being upset that that pastor, who may or may not have undergone counseling and has been well on the straighten arrow for a very long time after whatever indiscretion happened, and getting indignant that they are still no longer qualified.
Zobel
AG
Seems like your attitude here is "I don't like cultural Christianity so let me find reasons to criticize it."

Why not say "oh, so there is a consistent historical practice, witnessed to in the scriptures, that makes good common sense"?

It's pretty straightforward: being a leader has higher requirements. This is not just true in the church, it's universal.

Again, I know nothing about this case in particular, but if a pastor had an affair, he shouldn't be a pastor any more.
AGC
AG
Malibu2 said:

Right that's all well and good. I don't have a particular issue with a pastor being fired over conduct when they're leading a congregation. What I do have issue with is bumping an 18 year old thread and being upset that that pastor, who may or may not have undergone counseling and has been well on the straighten arrow for a very long time after whatever indiscretion happened, and getting indignant that they are still no longer qualified.

With all things, sometimes we cannot go back after a line has been crossed. The abused spouse may not be able to trust the abuser even if we wished reconciliation for the marriage and the children. The faithful spouse may always struggle to trust the unfaithful even years after the fact. Likewise a pastor may never be able to have the full trust of a congregation or general public to whom they wish to minister. It is not harsh to expect them to find another vocation and give it up; on the contrary it keeps the church and office free from controversy.
Malibu
That's a fair take. An affair or alcohol/drug addiction in my humble opinion is different than spousal abuse, sexual assault, but yes, some things make one an ineffective vessel for instruction apart from being a cautionary tale.
Zobel
AG
If something disqualifies a person from becoming a pastor (alcohol abuse is an example given in the scriptures) why would it not be grounds for being deposed?
Malibu
An issue is not whether or not a church can fire a pastor for misconduct. It's whether or not that misconduct is still disqualifying 18 years later. To me that seems fundamentally at odds with the message of Christianity, Christ died so that you could be forgiven of sin. The church being unwilling to forgive a pastor in the same way that God forgives the sinner seems to be a contradiction in the philosophy.
Martin Q. Blank
Is Dwight faithful to his wife from 18 years ago? Even by your own standard he's still disqualified.
Dwightfam
In what world do you think you, a random stranger on the internet, is entitled to know the full story of Dwight's personal family life?
Malibu
This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, you may want to Google "Streisand effect."
Zobel
AG
Forgiveness of sin does not erase consequences of sin. This is also a fundamental message of Christianity.

A pastor who does something that is an impediment to the priesthood can be assured of forgiveness of his sins from God through repentance. He should also receive forgiveness for wrongs from those he wronged. And he still should not be a pastor.

Like St Basil said - he may become a saint, but not a priest.
AGC
AG
Dwightfam said:

In what world do you think you, a random stranger on the internet, is entitled to know the full story of Dwight's personal family life?

You came here spitting fire calling people pathetic and accusing them of gossiping. Then you asked what we wanted to hear and assured us you knew how this worked because you used to post here. Then you called someone a troll and made a comment about their representation of Christendom.

I told you what I wanted to hear: the whole truth. If he left his family for a woman in Colorado that he was having an emotional affair with I assume you'll confirm it. If my details are wrong you can correct the record. If you just want to launch barbs at people and hypocritically accuse them of not being Christian's by all means continue. But until you tell me I'm wrong I have a hard time squaring his behavior with what the office of pastor should look like. Tragedy isn't a competition, there are no awards and it does not confer authority. His kids' issues are tough but hardship isn't a qualification for ministry.
Dwightfam
Luckily the opinions random strangers on the internet have no bearing on his life or that of his family.

Pathetic to be inquiring on these matters all these many years later. You're as bad as bait shack for gossiping in the first place
Duncan Idaho
Since the posts about what this guy did got scrubbed...I am going to assume it was sexual in nature.

Malibu2 said:

When I was a Christian I distinctly remember that message. Screw up once and that's that. The real Christian message is distinctly one of no second chances or ability to have a change of heart and be a better person.

It is literally in the Bible. 1 Timothy 3 I believe

Quote:

3 Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect

Restore their faith and forgive their sin but a biblical church can not restore them to a position of authority.

If you find yourself wondering why "none" is the fastest growing religion, this is your answer.

The local megachurch has institutionalized sexual abuse and rape to the point where they are literally spending millions of dollars to build a retreat center for church leaders to recover from their sexual exploits, assaults and rapes.

https://julieroys.com/scandals-megachurch-invests-millions-restore-pastors/?fbclid=IwAR3PyJG7QMHwDsDLwBvWEnl9USh2ITpAK00m7xBXfqhkVp9hs1ZwlprC3FQ
AGC
AG
Dwightfam said:

Luckily the opinions random strangers on the internet have no bearing on his life or that of his family.

Pathetic to be inquiring on these matters all these many years later. You're as bad as bait shack for gossiping in the first place

Tell us these things are untrue. Tell us he didn't leave his marriage, his wife and children. This is really easy to do if it's true (and you have yet to do it directly, by the way, you've just accused everyone of gossip and unchristian behavior and dances around the actual accusations).

I don't need to inquire; I learned of it when it happened from friends who were attending and I still have friends that attend there. It's not a secret.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Can't argue with anyone taking the position against reinstatement. I just have one anecdote and a question. My favorite pastor ever was defrocked from a megachurch after abusing his power for sexual reasons. His wife divorced him and he worked real estate for decades. Eventually, a little country church approached him to be their pastor. He was shocked, and made them read about everything he had done. The deacons at the time didn't care and brought him on anyway. A few years later I met him and the man has the biggest heart. He's a good leader and uses his own sin as an example to others. He eventually remarried his wife and things are great for him, her, and the church. He's done a ton of good in that small church and community.

So that's the anecdote. The question follows: how does this compare to the Donatists? They thought clergy had to be blameless and were kicked out of the Church. And these priests had renounced Christ and sacrificed to the gods of the Roman Empire. Yet the Church welcomed them back and let them be priests again, much to the dismay of the Donatists. What's the difference between that and this?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
2 things)

1)How long was the eventually? I know I would view decades differently than I would months or even years

2) was his partner in his extramarital affair a member of his congregation. Because, due to the power dynamics involved, that changes it from a dude that cheated on his wife to a sexual predator. No different than say a president having sex with an intern, or a therapist sleeping with a patient or a teacher with a student or a boss with a direct report employee.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Eventually was about 30 years. The indiscretions occured with women in "private counseling sessions". So you'd probably categorize it as predatory behavior. He won't have private meetings with women now. Husbands, other family or church deacons have to be present for any such meetings.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
I'm ok with that. Canons are standards, which imply exceptions. But they should be exceptions.
Duncan Idaho
ramblin_ag02 said:

Eventually was about 30 years. The indiscretions occured with women in "private counseling sessions". So you'd probably categorize it as predatory behavior. He won't have private meetings with women now. Husbands, other family or church deacons have to be present for any such meetings.

The fact that he can't meet with half of his congregation with the same level of trust as the other half is a perfect reason as to why he is ineligible to maintain a position of spiritual leadership.
wbt5845
AG
I love it how some preacher, who made his living explaining God's law, can throw up the force field of "family privacy" when he violates God's law so brazenly.

Yes, it is different for those who go into this line of work. Much as I'd doubt the qualifications of a 300 lb fitness instructor, I likewise discount the words of a guy who boinks his flock.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Ok…. That's actually how they do things at every church I've been to in the last 20 years. No mixed gender private meetings and no adults alone with kids. So technically he can only be alone with less than 1/3 of the congregation. So that part didn't even strike me as strange
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I love it how some preacher, who made his living explaining God's law, can throw up the force field of "family privacy" when he violates God's law so brazenly.
I agree. We need to bring back the cutty stool to stand on for public rebuke.
Duncan Idaho
ramblin_ag02 said:

Ok…. That's actually how they do things at every church I've been to in the last 20 years. No mixed gender private meetings and no adults alone with kids. So technically he can only be alone with less than 1/3 of the congregation. So that part didn't even strike me as strange

In that case, he shouldn't be allowed to have one on one meetings with anyone.
diehard03
Quote:

The fact that he can't meet with half of his congregation with the same level of trust as the other half is a perfect reason as to why he is ineligible to maintain a position of spiritual leadership.

Can't and won't are 2 very different things with 2 very different motivations.

We shouldn't treat people who make bad choices or a whole slew of bad choices the same as some sort of extreme addict who will always make the same bad choice in every single instance of an event.

It disrespects both and make us fail to serve them both well.

I'm not saying this person needs to be in leadership...but I also think that leadership ability should be weighed against his actual situation and not just reading into his safeguards.
Duncan Idaho
Ill leave kids out of this because they aren't adults and there are other issues there.

My 2 thoughts on this

1) the dude established himself as a sexual predator by exploiting the power dynamics. Again, this is no different (in my opinion worse) than a psychiatrist sleeping with a patient.

2)the inability or unwillingness to meet alone with an entire gender is disqualifying unless that limitation is also placed on congregants of all genders or there are additional equally trained and equipped pastors for each gender.

If there is some reason or advantage to speaking with a spiritual leader alone than that opportunity needs to be available to all or none. Not half due to the gender.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.