Dwight Edwards resigns as pastor of Grace Bible Church - College Station

28,344 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RyanFromTexas
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They made the announcement this morning. Apparently he stepped down under some controversy.

Edit: I removed the bulk of this post. I'm still trying to sort through it all...

[This message has been edited by BaitShack (edited 12/22/2003 1:43p).]
NOLA
AG
joethiesmansankle...
Show a little class dude.
AggieSarah01
AG
Wow
friend of cheese
Wow.
Gomer95
AG
Why??? That's crazy!
b.blauser
AG
Front page of the B/CS Eagle has it as the lead story. Click on the link, the story has been removed. Odd.
Gomer95
AG
I did and I emailed the Eagle and the problem has been fixed and I read it. It cited personal and family reasons for leaving. I thought it odd at first too that it had been removed but I guess it was just a slip up. It works now. Hopefully, it's just a stressful struggle of some sort and nothing "scandalous" but regardless, we should all keep him and his family in our prayers.
HowdyAgs.com_old
Bait, I have family that attend Grace and they were shocked as well.

We'll keep you, your church family and Dwight in our prayers. Remember God will make it all work out in the end. Stay faithful.

------------------------------------

Get your Aggie Email @ HowdyAgs.com
BaitShack
AG
The announcement and sermon are up at
http://www.grace-bible.org/

Go do downloads, then sermons. Look for the one titled: Hard Questions During a Difficult Time

The announcement that he stepped down didn’t surprise me at all. He’s got 2 kids that have been diagnosed with serious degenerative neurological disorders and he has been absent quite a bit because of it. He’s made references in the last few months to his anger with God because of it. No doubt this has put a real strain on his family and his ministry.

What surprised me were the absence of kind words for him, and many references to his sin, repentance, seeking forgiveness, etc… Once the sermon started, it quickly became clear to me that there was more involved than these medical issues.

[This message has been edited by BaitShack (edited 12/22/2003 2:51p).]
Texas Aggie '99
AG
Man, I am really sorry to hear about this. This was the first church my wife and I attended together while still dating in college. He was really awesome and really helped us in our spiritual development. He was a great asset to that church and it will be very tough to fill his shoes.

We'll definitely keep him in our prayers. I don't have any idea what is going on in his life that led to this but hope that, through God's strength, that he will come through stronger on the other side.

God bless you Dwight.
jewels2001
Is it really appropriate to discuss someone's sinfulness on a public forum? We are all sinners, preachers included and we have all fallen short of the glory of God. It is indeed sad that Dwight is leaving, and it's fine to spread the word, but it's gossip to discuss 'rumors' and our disappointment that he's a sinner too.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Hey man, let this be a warning to the rest of us. If it could happen to him, it could happen to any of us. Holy than thou's, be careful.
aggiebaker05
I agree with you, guard you heart always. This is not something we want to happend in the church family or any family. Always pray for guarding against this.
b.blauser
AG
aggiebaker...May I suggest you edit you post regarding the sin?
aggiebaker05
What do you mean by that?????
DayDuck91
We are all sinners.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
titan
S
These are sad things when they occur, but they actually serve to remind of the general folly of expectations for perfection. In situations like this and the priest scandals, I think its best to see it in two senses. One that, we all have pitfall sins, and this is to be pitied while also censured in secular terms, and second, the importance that if a member of clergy or teacher, it is crucial that the necessary panels remove them and chastize the behavior.

So its not so much the sin and weakness to castigate, as a failure to remedy it. It seems like the appropriate censure was taken here. It is especially important to temper when the error comes out of weakness and stumbling, rather than malicious hypocrisy. It has nothing to do with 'excusing' but rather mercy.
70mAgE2
AG
baker,

I don’t know you from Adam or Eve or Other (pick one), but it’s interesting and perhaps informative that you chose to “rookie out” for purposes of this discussion. If that’s an expedient pseudonym to disguise a better-known handle and protect your precious backside, that alone should immediately make you question your own motives.

It would be judgmental of me to make the following comments as if they were aimed directly and singularly at you, because I can by definition have no certainty of the condition of your heart. So, accept them as general in nature and directed at the above remarks written by you and perhaps those of some others. But, IF the shoe fits, consider that your sin may well be worse in God’s eyes than those with which you condemn this pastor.

And, about the only way you could be certain of these accusations being true would be if you participated with him in them. Is that the case? Is this a first or third person account? If you were involved, how do you justify your own actions? Worst of all, how do you explain your condemnation of someone else while overlooking your own complicity and duplicity? For your edification, read your Bible (if you don’t have one, I’m sure your church would loan you one) where Jesus talked about eyes, beams and motes.

If this isn’t a first-person condemnation, then you really don’t know the facts in this case, so you are judging based upon allegations, assumptions and innuendo. That’s usually considered a contemptible thing by reasoning people.

“But, I want to know all the story! Gimme the dirt.” So, what if there really is no dirt? Or, what if there’s a lot? Then be responsible, and show us the badge that gives you a right to demand to know.

“Well,” you say, “I’m not a pastor, so I have no obligations to God or the congregation.” Biblically speaking, that’s “skeballa” (Greek - sp?) or what General Schwarzkopf called "bovine scatology". But, okay, if that be true, then keep your “Bertha-better-than-you” pointy shoes off of the turf of those who do have God-granted and Biblically delineated authority and responsibility in this matter.

You know yourself far better than I (though not so well or truly than as God knows you), so you and not I know whether all that church-going for which you patted yourself on the back so liberally above has done you any good. Either you have been a good student and learned that God gave pastoring teachers to teach the saints to minister... or not. But, you may be on the horns of a dilemma.

If you haven’t learned much in all that time spent in church, you may have to explain to God what you’ve been doing wasting your time there. Why did you spend so much time listening to a teacher who couldn’t teach you? If good instruction was available each Sunday, what did you do with the time you were supposed to have been learning? Were you sleeping? Were you dishonoring the Word going forth from the forth-teller in that pulpit, regardless whether he was more akin to Balaam’s ass than Michael the Archangel?

If you are well-enough taught to recognize that you have a duty to minister, what did you do with that responsibility? Were you smart enough and spiritually aware enough to recognize that pastors are special targets for the forces of the Prince of the Power of the Air? Did you regularly pray for the pastor that he be kept from temptation and the wiles of the Evil One? Did you pray that you would be kept from the temptation to judge God’s man (which implies, by the way, that you have the right to judge God’s decisions about who fills that office)? Or, are you laboring under the delusion that instead of the Chief Shepherd choosing His under-shepherds, the sheep get that task? What must you really think of the power of the God you imply that you worship?

Did you pray that God would keep you from the temptation to gossip and be a rumormonger?

If the above be true, you may have more to answer for at judgment time than the one you condemn so harshly. Think about that a moment! And, Biblically, you should know that by the measure you use to judge you shall likewise be judged. If that’s news to you, then woe to you!

On the other hand, maybe you just stayed complacent and spiritually overfed so that you didn’t really feel the need to learn anything at that church. Don’t worry, be happy! Ignorance is bliss! God wouldn’t possibly condemn you for malfeasance like you are condemning your pastor! Your hands are not guilty of his blood! Wash them publicly on TexAgs, you little Pilate, you! Ooops, but at least we knew who Pontius Pilate really was and where he got his authority, didn’t we?

Well, maybe you’re more like Peter, anyway. When Jesus disappointed Peter’s expectations, he denied his Leader instead of pressing in to help and comfort Him at His time of greatest trial. Maybe you should have chosen aggiepeter05 for your handle instead.

If you don’t have the same feelings for him that you once did, that’s probably because you didn’t have a proper relationship with him in the first place. Is that his fault or yours? You just might find that answer is important to God, to your understanding of accountability and to your future.

By the way, while I’m mentioning “Stormin’ Norman” Schwarzkopf, he is alleged to have said, when asked if we should forgive the 911 terrorists, something like “That’s God’s job. Ours is to deliver them to Him.” In that light, do you see Pastor Edwards as a terrorist and yourself as the cavalry?

Better for you, I think, if you thought more about Calvary and less about the cavalry.
Desert Ag
AG
70m,

very graceful post?

i'm sure that will help!
Guitarsoup
AG
I really enjoyed Dwight while I was at Grace, but he said some things that I really didn't enjoy.

Dwight said something along the lines that you can go to heaven, even if you arent Christian, as long as you live a good life and love God. I guess Jesus didnt really need to die on the cross.
Paul86
I was at A&M from 1982-86 when Dwight was the college teacher, not the senior pastor.

I suggest that we pray for Dwight and his family right now and not speculate and gossip about what did or didn't happen.

We are all humans. And I think pastors are under a much greater attack than most of us would ever know. Jesus is perfect in every way. We are not. This should not be a surprise though we sometimes want to elevate personalities. It's not people, it's God, the same yesterday, tomorrow, and forever.
Big Al 1992
AG
Dwight was/is an amazing speaker. He performed a wedding for some friends of mine and I loved the fact he pointed out that as great as a day that wedding was, it pales in comparison to what the Lord has in store for us. Pretty powerful stuff. I'm sorry to hear about his kids being in ill health, and also sorry to hear that there are some other family issues going on. I have no idea what those would be, and I haven't heard the same gossip those on this site have mentioned.
AgsWinAgsWin
[deleted]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 1/23/2004 10:04a).]
jewels2001
Why are we still posting things about a man's personal life on a public bulletin board? The remarks about what he did are highly inappropriate!
AgsWinAgsWin
Did not mean to cause a stir with my post. I was attempting to post a fact, which is known. There are quite a bit of rumors and gossip going around amongst many in the Aggie community...this board included.

This is a sad situation, I will refrain from any further comment.
jewels2001
Thanks, AWAW. I just know how I would feel if I was in a high profile family and people were discussing our life on a BBS.

[This message has been edited by jewels2001 (edited 1/23/2004 12:34p).]
monkey_man
what is the issue here?

If the guy cheated on his wife and that lead to his removal it should be discussed openly.

People need to know that thier actions have consequences.

Let me guess, you never talked about Clinton and monica?
NoACDamnit
jewels - you realize you just posted what was edited out?
titan
S
Monkey man raises a provocative point. Is part of the consequence it becoming known? From an "info" standpoint, its kind of good to know what a 'misstep' was, because sometimes speculation and rumors are worse, especially in a leadership position. But on the whole, I would hold to the private should remain that, in line with the biblical injunction not to gossip.

I do however hold leaders to a different standard, for they instruct others and need to be more transparent. Same reason I don't care for excessive executive secrecy.
monkey_man
I got in trouble one time at school. Rumors started flying that it was due drugs. This in turn was due to my nicname at the time, which had a strong drug reference. Keep in mind that I have never done an illegal drug in my life.

I don't really know this guy, but many people I know spoke highly of him. So I didn't mean it as a personal attack.

<edit> To address the gossip issue:
The church or Mr X saying Mr X was removed from his position because he did Y is not gossip.
<edit>

Saying "Did you hear about Mr. X....I heard that he had to step down....I think it was because of Y. Can you believe that he did that?" That is gossip.
My point was simply that if you don't tell people what the action was and what the result was 2 things happen.

1. People begin to believe that since no body is getting in trouble for X, it must not be happening or if they know someone has done X, that they can get away with it.

This is why criminal convictions are public record (for the most part)

2. People begin to speculate and usally, this is a lot worse than what they did in the first place.

Today, if a RC priest steps down and they don't give a reason, people will think that it was because he molested a child.

[This message has been edited by monkey_man (edited 1/23/2004 12:03p).]

[This message has been edited by monkey_man (edited 1/23/2004 12:04p).]
jewels2001
NoAC - No actually, it didn't occur to me. I posted in a hurry before I rushed out of the office. My intent was to explain my reasoning to AWAW and I didn't think about what I said. Thanks for catching it for me.

[This message has been edited by jewels2001 (edited 1/23/2004 12:37p).]
MenOfKyle
AG
He's speaking at a mens retreat in Alvin. Really good teaching on John 15.
PacifistAg
AG
MenOfKyle said:

He's speaking at a mens retreat in Alvin. Really good teaching on John 15.

An 18 yr bump? Impressive.
MenOfKyle
AG
Saw him at the retreat and didn't know much about him. A Google search brought up this thread.
Dwightfam
I'm glad I didn't see this 18 years ago but all of a sudden I peruse the R&P board and see a bunch of strangers gossiping about Dwight.

Is there is a worse bunch of gossipers than Bible-belt Christians?

I don't know who you are baitshack, I don't know if you attended Grace, but running to Texags to gossip about the local preacher is beyond pathetic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.