P: Descartes, Doubt, Certainty, and the Pursuit Truth (Novum Topic)

3,736 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AstroAg17 said:

No, they are the same thing stated in different ways.
Three things. Anything else? Evolution isn't true. God created the world and everything in it in 6 days.
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

AstroAg17 said:

Three things. Anything else? Evolution isn't true. God created the world and everything in it in 6 days.

How do you ground and defend these "truths"?
Martin Q. Blank
AstroAg17 said:

Why would you even respond to that? It's an obvious troll and this was a good thread.
4. It's an obvious troll.
5. This was a good thread.

Are you going to admit that "I am" is not the only thing you know is true?
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

AstroAg17 said:

I was waiting for you to come back. So is "you have to base your conclusion on some form of logic" common sense, or what?
Martin Q. Blank
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

AstroAg17 said:

I was waiting for you to come back. So is "you have to base your conclusion on some form of logic" common sense, or what?

If you are attempting to establish a truth, there must be a defensible position taken that can affirmatively contest any counter arguments. That's not "common sense." That's an active use of logic.
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

AstroAg17 said:

If you are attempting to establish a truth, there must be a defensible position taken that can affirmatively contest any counter arguments. That's not "common sense." That's an active use of logic.
You just restated your premise...which is in question.
Sapper Redux
I established the difference between reasonable assumption of a knowledge of truth and a mere belief of truth. Which is what you appear to rely on.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

reasonable assumption of a knowledge of truth
Sounds made up.
Zobel
AG
I think at some point inconsistent or paraconsistent logic is a necessity.

Edit - for example, early calculus required inconsistent mathematics but was used for actual concrete scientific benefit. And an inconsistent geometry is required to describe what we see when we look at something like Escher - but what we're looking at is real.
Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
This is where philosophy discussions always go. Whatever. This thread probably isn't even happening. I can't prove it without a doubt.
Sapper Redux
Frok said:

This is where philosophy discussions always go. Whatever. This thread probably isn't even happening. I can't prove it without a doubt.

You don't actually exist. You are merely a construct to entertain me.
Frok
AG
Texaggie7nine
As far as what can be known as absolute universal fact, I think the deduction and methodology is pretty solid. Outside of our own thought, there is nothing truly that can be known as indisputable fact, as it just becomes a matter of subjective perception.
7nine
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.