From a scientific perspective...

8,590 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Woody2006
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
can we even conclude that the dinosaurs once lived? I'd categorize that as an assumption, not a fact derived from science, correct?
PacifistAg
AG
Star Wars Memes Only
We can conclude from the facts that dinosaurs once lived.
ramblin_ag02
AG
They may have been alive, but did they ever truly live?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
I don't think this is true. We have bones. It's an assumption that bones came from a once living creature.
Aggrad08
AG
Can we conclude that Julius Caesar lived?
Can we identify a murderer based on DNA and other material evidence?
Can we take genesis as a metaphor rather than literal history?

Answer to all of those is yes.
Aggrad08
AG
Can you show me some bones that didn't once come from a living creature that aren't a prop or toy or teaching tool?
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
Can you show me some bones that didn't once come from a living creature that aren't a prop or toy or teaching tool?
That begs the question.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:
That begs the question.

No, you have to establish that thousands of remains in the character of articulated animals are not actually the remains of animals. To do this, you have to have a plausible explanation. Otherwise you're running down the rabbit hole that ends with total uncertainty of reality. If you are a theist, you're questioning whether your God can be trusted or not.
Star Wars Memes Only
quote:
quote:
I don't think this is true. We have bones. It's an assumption that bones came from a once living creature.

And footprints and fossilized eggs and nests and gastroliths and so on...
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
quote:
quote:
That begs the question.
No, you have to establish that thousands of remains in the character of articulated animals are not actually the remains of animals. To do this, you have to have a plausible explanation. Otherwise you're running down the rabbit hole that ends with total uncertainty of reality. If you are a theist, you're questioning whether your God can be trusted or not.
I said "from a scientific perspective." Evidence that bones found in the ground are from once living creatures. You are assuming they were from once living creatures and asking me for proof that they are not.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
quote:
quote:
And footprints and fossilized eggs and nests and gastroliths and so on...
Yes, all that.
amercer
AG
Let's just say that the ability to sequence massive amounts of DNA, and the bioinformatic tools available to analyse that data has put a nice bow on all of the previous work in paleontology and comparative anatomy.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
good one. I like this one better:

PacifistAg
AG
quote:
good one. I like this one better:

That's so much better.
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:
can we even conclude that the dinosaurs once lived? I'd categorize that as an assumption, not a fact derived from science, correct?

How bout we say that the overwhelming quantity and quality of evidence supporting the conclusion that dinosaurs once lived on Earth makes the probability that dinosaurs did NOT live on Earth so statistically negligible that it would require profound and incredible intentional ignorance to believe it to be the case.

. . . or we can just call it a fact and save ourselves a lot of words.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
quote:
How bout we say that the overwhelming quantity and quality of evidence supporting the conclusion that dinosaurs once lived on Earth
What is the evidence?
kurt vonnegut
AG
oy vey
Star Wars Memes Only
quote:
Let's just say that the ability to sequence massive amounts of DNA, and the bioinformatic tools available to analyse that data has put a nice bow on all of the previous work in paleontology and comparative anatomy.

I'm curious about what those tools add to our study of dinosaurs. I was under the impression that genetic material from dinosaurs was unavailable.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
As this book says, there is LOTS of evidence, mr. scientist.

Martin Q. Blank
Are all these jokes and cartoons attempting to mask the realization that this is an assumption, not a scientific conclusion?
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:
Are all these jokes and cartoons attempting to mask the realization that this is an assumption, not a scientific conclusion?

Can you give me an example of a scientific fact or a valid scientific conclusion so I have an idea of where the goalposts are?
John Maplethorpe
AG
Ever driven in a car that used gasoline? That's only possible with long dead plants and animals.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology

Paleontology is one of the historical sciences, along with archaeology, geology, astronomy, cosmology,philology and history itself.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology#cite_note-Laudan1992WhatSpecialP58-4][4][/url] This means that it aims to describe phenomena of the past and reconstruct their causes.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology#cite_note-Cleland2002MethodologicalAndEpistemicDifferences-5][5][/url] Hence it has three main elements: description of the phenomena; developing a general theory about the causes of various types of change; and applying those theories to specific facts.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology#cite_note-Laudan1992WhatSpecialP58-4][4][/url]

When trying to explain past phenomena, paleontologists and other historical scientists often construct a set of hypotheses about the causes and then look for a smoking gun, a piece of evidence that indicates that one hypothesis is a better explanation than others. Sometimes the smoking gun is discovered by a fortunate accident during other research. For example, the discovery by Luis Alvarez and Walter Alvarez of an iridium-rich layer at the CretaceousTertiaryboundary made asteroid impact and volcanism the most favored explanations for the CretaceousPaleogene extinction event.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology#cite_note-Cleland2002MethodologicalAndEpistemicDifferences-5][5][/url]

The other main type of science is experimental science, which is often said to work by conductingexperiments to disprove hypotheses about the workings and causes of natural phenomena note that this approach cannot confirm a hypothesis is correct, since some later experiment may disprove it. However, when confronted with totally unexpected phenomena, such as the first evidence for invisible radiation, experimental scientists often use the same approach as historical scientists: construct a set of hypotheses about the causes and then look for a "smoking gun".[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology#cite_note-Cleland2002MethodologicalAndEpistemicDifferences-5][5][/url]
amercer
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm curious about what those tools add to our study of dinosaurs. I was under the impression that genetic material from dinosaurs was unavailable.

The awesome thing about moden genomics is that it confirmed the relationships between species that had been hypothesized based on the study of fossils and comparative anatomy. The bones in the ground, and the dates of those bones match with what moden animals (and thier DNA) tell us about diversity and decent. So it's not that genomics tells us about dinosaurs per se, it's that fossils in general make sense in the context of evolution.

Also there is the non-zero chance that ancient genomes could in the future be reconstructed computationally from an analysis of last common ancestors. Jurassic park without the need for chunks of amber....
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
quote:
Can you give me an example of a scientific fact or a valid scientific conclusion so I have an idea of where the goalposts are?
Sure, a male sperm uniting with a female egg produces a unique human being.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
That begs the question.
I said "from a scientific perspective." Evidence that bones found in the ground are from once living creatures. You are assuming they were from once living creatures and asking me for proof that they are not.

Yes, you have to provide proof that they are not the remains of once living animals since those remains check off every box you would want for previously living animals. We have fossil footprints, fossil turds, fossil eggs, fossilized skin impressions, mummies with fossilized organs, millions of bones, feather imprints, and clear links between birds and Dinosaurs that one would expect to see if the theory is correct. So, please, demonstrate how one can logically infer that fossils are not the remains of once living animals.
Martin Q. Blank

quote:
Yes, you have to provide proof that they are not the remains of once living animals since those remains check off every box you would want for previously living animals.
Still begging the question.
Sapper Redux
quote:

quote:
Yes, you have to provide proof that they are not the remains of once living animals since those remains check off every box you would want for previously living animals.
Still begging the question.

The burden of proof is on you. And it's not begging the question to say that all of the evidence points in one direction.
John Maplethorpe
AG
MQB what is the alternative? They were placed there? They are really just natural geologic formations?
Martin Q. Blank

quote:
The burden of proof is on you. And it's not begging the question to say that all of the evidence points in one direction.
Evidence doesn't point. People do. They also assume their position is correct in order to prove it.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
MQB what is the alternative? They were placed there? They are really just natural geologic formations?
Those conclusions would have about as much "scientific" basis as the assumption that they lived at one time.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Martin how do you propose we develop explanations for anything that we weren't there to observe?
PacifistAg
AG
So, using MQB's logic, finding ruins of ancient cities isn't evidence that those cities actually existed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.