**** Jim Henson: Idea Man - Coming May 31 ****

871 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by TXTransplant
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I teared up during the trailer. If you're of a certain age, I bet you will too.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
rhutton125
fig96
AG
Dusty in here…

To this day he's one of the few celebrities where I felt genuine sadness when he passed away. Just an incredible human with a huge impact, can't wait to watch this.
ChipFTAC01
AG
fig96 said:

Dusty in here…

To this day he's one of the few celebrities where I felt genuine sadness when he passed away. Just an incredible human with a huge impact, can't wait to watch this.

This. If you love Jim Henson find the special Muppet show they did after he died where Fozzie is trying to figure out who this Jim Henson guy is and why he's so i.portant. And his whole funeral is on YouTube. It's pretty heartwrenching and soul affirming at the same time.
Big Al 1992
AG
Looking forward to watch it with my kids who are 18 and 20. I don't think they have any idea who he is and that one man is responsible for so many of their early memories.
The Porkchop Express
The Muppet Movie is still one of my favorites and the Muppet Show was a family watch growing up. From my daughters' earliest days, i would sing them the Rainbow Connection to get them to fall asleep, ,and still do every once in a while when they're having trouble winding down.

I was at my house eating dinner with my mom watching Tom Brokaw on NBC's Nightly News in 1990 when he led off the telecast with the shocking news that two legendary entertainers - Henson and Sammy Davis Jr. - had both died on the same day.

And because this is the Internet, here is the actual broadcast that I last watched 34 years ago.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Wrong emoji on OP?
The Porkchop Express
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Wrong emoji on OP?

I dont think so. It breaks my heart that he's gone.
Proposition Joe
I had no marketable skills for the jobs available, but I applied to (and was rejected by) the Jim Henson Company out of college.

An amazing man and studio and one of the most impactful people on an entire generation.
TXTransplant
I'm another one whose entire childhood is defined by Jim Henson - mostly The Muppets and Fraggle Rock.

If you ever have the chance, go see the exhibit at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria Queens, NY. In addition to having a huge collection of puppets, they have letters written by Jim Henson, many of them in reply to fan letters that kids wrote to various Muppet characters. It is a beautiful exhibit that nearly moved me to tears.

https://instagr.am/p/CeUMvQ2pyQq

Proposition Joe
There's also The National Puppet Museum in Atlanta - a lot of very similar exhibits (including a big Jim Henson one). I could have spent hours in there, as it was basically my childhood.
TXTransplant
DP
TXTransplant
It's on my list to visit that one, too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.