"The Expanse", is next on our list. Yea or Nay?

2,324 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by The Dog Lord
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As usually I'm way behind. Really need to watch more TV.

Is this a good one??
13B
Yep. The books are even better.
An L of an Ag
AG
Do it! The whole thing is well done, however there is a noticeable inflection point (in a good way) when SyFy dropped it and Amazon continued it.

Bezos was apparently such a huge fan of the books that he couldn't let it fail. Having said that...the series still ended about 2-3 books short.

Did you read the books? You're still gonna enjoy this if not. If you did, you won't be let down.
Ag_0112358132134
The first season was low budget and really bad. Never watched any more after that.
Fenrir
It took me a few tries to get going but once I did I was very happy I stuck with it. I don't feel like it has that one big hook that latches on to you right of the bat but I don't know anyone that loves sci-fi that regrets watching it to the end.
AustinAg2K
Ag_0112358132134 said:

The first season was low budget and really bad. Never watched any more after that.

My feeling as well. I absolutely love the books, and heard great things about the TV series. I had to force myself to finish the first session and I've never gone back to even start season 2.
Diggity
AG
Currently about half way through the book series. Glad to hear the show is worth checking out.
Heineken-Ashi
IMO it is the best sci-fi show/movie ever. Source content is based on as much realism as they possibly could. Feels extremely grounded in a weird way.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
p_bubel
Ag_0112358132134 said:

p_bubel
Catch the series. It's excellent and you might like it.
Rocagnante
AG
Yes. Both the books and the show are great.
SteveA
AG
As a whole, I think it's ones the best sci fi shows out there.
NE PA Ag
I liked it and recommend it, but I also didn't like how some story lines were never fleshed out and others just plain stopped without an ending.
AgHawkeye
AG
- One day you and me are going to get bloody.

- How about now? I'm free now.
rononeill
Rocagnante is a fan.

Great show.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The books are my favorite sci-fi series of all time.

I give the show a 7/10. The first two seasons somewhere below that, the last 4 really are all 7 or above.
DallasTeleAg
I read the first two books and then tried the series. I just hated the change in character personalities so much from the books that I had no desire to keep watching.
StinkyPinky
AG
Crap. My too read list is already too long, but looks like I'll be bumping several to get this on the list. Strong advocates here for it, got my attention.
hunter2012
AG
Would highly recommend the series just for the Rosi crew. Some of the best written characters in SciFi.

That being said, be aware that the show does not include the last 3 books so when it catches up know that it's not over but rather there's a multi decade time jump. I hope they can get the original actors in a decade or 2 to film the last 3 books. It really is a great story.

One of the major pluses about the books is that it's finished and there are no unresolved plot lines by the end. Highly recommend both the books and the novellas.

My favorite book characters in order:
Amos Burton
Miller
Naomi nagata
Bobbie Draper
James Holden
Julie Mao

Now the show fleshes out Drummer better than the book so she's better in the show.
CoachRTM
AG
I loved it.

But it did take me until about season 1.5 for the hooks to really get in. It's the episode where Venus comes into play - I think I read it's the end of the first book)

I don't think that's a spoiler, but should give some idea to those that have read/watched which episode I mean.
hunter2012
AG
This is correct.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Yes, it is an excellent show. As others have mentioned, the first season is a little slow but it isn't bad. It is just that the remaining seasons are so good that the first pales in comparison.

I may have to go back and sona rewatch of the series again.
GreasenUSA
AG
Really good show. I'd love to watch it again. Agree with others that it was a slow burn at first before it became a must watch for me.
Wolfpac 08
AG
We just started this last night…we've tried once before but only got about 6 episodes in before we quit. This thread convinced me to give it another go…hopefully we can push through
Furlock Bones
AG
Great series. And I can't disagree more. First season is great.
Danger Mouse
AG
Great series that got better each season.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Captain Winky
Can a brother get a quick synopsis?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
3-500 years in the future, Earth has expanded to colonize Mars and beyond the asteroid belt. Mars has its own government now, and they are antagonistic towards each other with constant saber rattling threatening war. It has a more advanced military but much smaller than Earth's. The outer planets are mostly colonized by each of these planets governments, and the citizenry are looked down upon like your typical third world country citizens who are barely scraping to get by from both Earth and Mars. Earthers, Martians, and belters are all physically and culturally different by this point, due to generations of living apart in different amounts of gravity and the different challenges associated with that.

The first book/season starts with alternating viewpoints from James Holden, a dishonorably discharged Earth Naval officer who now works on a ship that mines and hauls ice from Jupiters belt to different places throughout the outer planets, and Miller, who is a "Belter" detective working on a colony base on Ceres, an asteroid in the belt.
Thunder18
AG
Read the books before I watched the show. Honestly season 1 was way above my expectations for a Sy-Fi produced show. Definitely recommend as it continues to get better each season
Mathguy64
AG
The first book won an award for the most graphic use of Vomit Zombies ever.
Rocagnante
AG
I loved the episode "CQB" from season 1
jenn96
AG
This thread is perfectly timed! I just started a reread of the books and was curious if the series was any good. I'm glad to hear it is.
The Dog Lord
AG
I don't think we got more than two episodes into season one. Just weren't into it. May have to try again in the future since I've always heard high praise for it overall.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.