Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

2,793 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by InnocentBystander99
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there are a bunch of PJ fans on here so I'm surprised there isn't a thread yet. I'm about half way through my first listen and I'm really digging it so far. Right now my favorite is Wreckage but I haven't gotten to Waiting For Stevie yet which seems to be the consensus online for best track.
Candiru
AG
I really enjoyed wreckage when it was released a few days ago. So far, I've enjoyed the first track as well. But haven't gotten much further than the middle of the album. Stupid work getting in the way.
InnocentBystander99
AG
I am loving this album. Something Special is the only song that maybe out of place with the rest of the album.
Rudyjax
AG
InnocentBystander99 said:

I am loving this album. Something Special is the only song that maybe out of place with the rest of the album.
It may be, but it's meta to me. Brings tears to my eyes.

If you're a parent of late teens/ young adults, it strikes a chord.

Waiting for Stevie is a new anthem for them.
Upper hand is a new opener.
Setting Sun's riff I can't get out of my head.

They're all going to be amazing live.

InnocentBystander99
AG
I definitely see how Something Special will strike a chord with parents of teens, especially girls. I do think it is a good song.

This is a great album, that will be awesome live.
Rudyjax
AG
InnocentBystander99 said:

I definitely see how Something Special will strike a chord with parents of teens, especially girls. I do think it is a good song.

This is a great album, that will be awesome live.
A guy I know that is also a huge fan that we met through our daughters, he and I were in tears during that song in the movie theatre. Especially the 2nd time they lyrics.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Listening now. Wreckage is great. I get a late 90's rock feel to it mixed with something more recent...almost a certain kind of country feel? Can't quite place it.
Candiru
AG
On Wreckage, I think that country-rock feel comes best at the end/outro with the harmonizing backing vocals. Love it. Good call.

Got to Give hasn't been mentioned yet but on first listen was another stand out to me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Just finished the album while cooking dinner and on first listen, I think this is Pearl Jam's best album since Vitalogy. I don't think there is a song on the album that I would rank in their top 10, but there's no skips either, which is something that has plagued all of Pearl Jam's post mid 90s albums. Upper Hand and Waiting for Stevie are probably my two favorite songs.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I have nearly finished a full listen through, think I have 2 left. Agree that it is a very strong record overall and one that I'll be revisiting!
Rudyjax
AG
I think I'm on my 20th listen.
Rudyjax
AG
Every time I hear Waiting for Stevie I just want more and more.

I can't wait to hear them play it live in LA next month!

beanbean
Setting Sun is a great song.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Man, this album is really ****ing good. I liked it from the first listen but it's already growing on me more with each one.
buildthehell02
AG
I'm overcome. It's everything I ever loved about them. Waiting for Stevie, Got to Give and Setting Sun have bowled me over but there is so much more. Setting Sun might be a top 10.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I've gone through start to finish a couple of times now. It is an excellent album!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Man, this album is really ****ing good. I liked it from the first listen but it's already growing on me more with each one.

Same here. Have listened through a couple times now front to back, and have listened to a few of the songs more than that. So good.
MookieBlaylock
AG
easily one of their top 12 albums

SteveA
AG
I don't get the hype. Boilerplate song structure and guitars, uninspired, borderline boring drums, and lazy vocals. This band is a shell of its former self. At one point they were the biggest band in the world, but this is an average album that wouldn't get any attention if their name wasn't on it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
SteveA said:

I don't get the hype. Boilerplate song structure and guitars, uninspired, borderline boring drums, and lazy vocals. This band is a shell of its former self. At one point they were the biggest band in the world, but this is an average album that wouldn't get any attention if their name wasn't on it.
You don't like the album, fine, it's just opinions, but the bolded comment is just dumb. Plenty of other PJ albums didn't get any attention before this one. This is one is getting attention because people like it.
SteveA
AG
Maybe you're right. Or maybe they have been so uninspiring that any glimmer of rock and tile, and old fans swoon.
Rudyjax
AG
SteveA said:

Maybe you're right. Or maybe they have been so uninspiring that any glimmer of rock and tile, and old fans swoon.

**** you Steve.

I'm just kidding. How the heck are you man? Been a long time.
Rudyjax
AG
Watch the visualizers on YouTube.
Rudyjax
AG
All I have to say is, I wish they would play the whole album in both shows in LA.
SteveA
AG
Good man! Hope you are doing well! I forgot that you were a big PJ fan. Man, I'm just continually disappointed because of how much I used to like them.
Rudyjax
AG
You've been complaining about them since we met.
SteveA
AG
Ive been jilted since they fire Dave Abbruzzese!
Know Your Enemy
AG
SteveA said:

They still sell out baseball stadiums on their own which is more than most rock bands can. To me this is their best album since Yield.
Rudyjax
AG
SteveA said:

Ive been jilted since they fire Dave Abbruzzese!

I'm an Irons guy. No code is my favorite.
Rudyjax
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

SteveA said:

They still sell out baseball stadiums on their own which is more than most rock bands can. To me this is their best album since Yield.

Yeah.

Waiting for Stevie is going to absolutely kill live.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I wish they had hired this producer 10 years ago-

Lots of reflection in this album as they realize the end is near- I also hear the regrets of the time they pissed away during their youth and peak years-

StinkyPinky
AG
SteveA said:

I'm glad to see all the hype which means it will hopefully grow on me. But my first swim through (and rapidly at that) didn't yield anything of too much excitement. Agreed sounded basic and rehashed. But that is true for me with lots of albums that I love now, so take it with a grain of salt. Will give it a proper listen with the cans shortly. Can't ignore all the positivity and would love for them to return to prominence.
SteveA
AG
I'm with you. I have only ran through it once, and nothing was memorable, except the riff on Waiting on stevie. Then I realized it was just an update from "Breath" with the current producers. Ah well.
MookieBlaylock
AG
SteveA said:

I'm with you. I have only ran through it once, and nothing was memorable, except the riff on Waiting on stevie. Then I realized it was just an update from "Breath" with the current producers. Ah well.

def not hearing Fatih Hill in that song
SteveA
AG

not faith hill
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.