Rolling Stone's top 100 shows of all time

8,720 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LegettHall
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

quote:
The Sopranos ahead of Breaking Bad is a case of giving the former credit for being a "game changer"... Breaking Bad was the far superior show -- Sopranos does not hold up well. From season to season it's basically "swap in new bad guy from outta town", rinse, repeat.

Presley OBannons Sword
Breaking Bad and the Wire are both better than the Sopranos in my opinion.

So is Friday Night Lights, also in my opinion.
MGS
quote:
No Magnum, PI invalidates the list.
And they took a shot at Tom Selleck in the Friends description.
BTHOthatguy
No Lonesome Dove or Band of Brothers?
Hey Nav
AG
I guess the criteria didn't allow them to include Band of Brothers or From The Earth To The Moon?

I'd cull that list and add:

Barney Miller
Northern Exposure
Green Acres
Andy Griffith
WKRP
Wall St w/ Louis Rukeyser (on PBS just like Sesame St)
Call To Glory & Frank's Place (as excellent way- too- short-of-a- run series)

And, of course, how in this world can they leave off King Of The Hill? (because they're Communists? It is the only plausible explanation.)
Big Al 1992
AG
No Lonesome Dove.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Would rather read the Redstone top 100.

You have read it yet? I read it 10 years ago and I have all of the originals on laserdisc./Redstone
AgPediRPh
AG
Surprised Golden Girls was ranked so low. It seems like every woman, regardless of age, loves that show.
Hey Nav
AG
And Maude, too...
Hey Nav
AG
Seems like when I was in school at A&M in the 70s, the be all and end all show, that even professors were talking about, was Soap.

They had a gay guy and everything.
Canyon99
GoT at #12? Get TF outta here.
JD Shellnut
AG
Daily show?lol. True detectives season 1 should be in the top 100 somewhere. Forget season 2 ever existed.
91_Aggie
AG
The Cosby Show owned Thursday night and all ratings for ever... but I imagine a magazine run by SJWs can't put that show on the list due to the allegations against Cosby now.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:

I honestly don't know if you think it's too high or too low
Dr.Rumack
Where's

Black Adder and
Night Court?
BTHOthatguy
Carol Burnett show? Smothers Bros?
LegettHall
quote:
Rolling Stone is still a thing people pay attention to?

Just as much as they do Texas Monthly.

I am not sure witch is the biggest waste of trees. Okay, yes, the RS is.

If one works for the RS or is named Jan Wenner, it is relevant.

quote:
[Wenner] "doesn't care what the rules are and just operates how he sees fit. It is an abuse of power. I don't know whether The Monkees belong in the Hall of Fame, but it's pretty clear that we're not in there because of a personal whim." Tork believes Wenner doesn't like the fact that The Monkees, who were originally cast as actors for a TV sitcom, didn't play their own instruments on their first two records. "Jann seems to have taken it harder than everyone else, and now, 40 years later, everybody says, 'What's the big deal? Everybody else does it.' Nobody cares now except him. He feels his moral judgment in 1967 and 1968 is supposed to serve in 2007."

The Monkees? Nah,but other are worthy. AC/DC didn't make the cover until 2008. I doubt they cared. But if a band doesn't have a political agenda--a liberal one--they are ignore.

I am a Joan Jett fan, but no way should she have received the coverage she has in the RS and Journey received none. Other bands, too.
Rocagnante
AG
quote:
Shouldn't The Beatles be #1?

Or at least the Ed Sullivan Show should be #1 because he had The Beatles on there. And that was like the most important event in the history of everything.
Canyon99
quote:
quote:

Surprised it's in the top 100 at all.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why? It's one of the most acclaimed and loved shows of all time.
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow.......not much else to say....just.....wow.
Southlake
City Broads?
Didn't even know this show existed.
LegettHall
RS is so unbiased. Incredibly, it is worse than Texas Monthly, which is a stellar accomplishment.

LegettHall
quote:
The Monkees? Nah,but other are worthy. AC/DC didn't make the cover until 2008. I doubt they cared. But if a band doesn't have a political agenda--a liberal one--they are ignore.

I am a Joan Jett fan, but no way should she have received the coverage she has in the RS and Journey received none. Other bands, too.

I like Jett too. But several deserve acclaim over her. Many, in fact. I still like her.

Long ago the brilliant RS called AC/DC "one of the worst things that had happened to rock music." After their first or second album.

Took 150-million album sales to get on the cover. Then the RS is calling AC/DC "razor sharp" on their tour.

Angus Young: "When our fans think of left or right they're thinking about which side of the arena they are sitting on." Not verbatim, close enough. What a novel idea!

Ted Nugent would be in the HOF and splashed all over the RS if he were a liberal activist.

LegettHall
The E Street Band (sans Bruce) are in only because of Bruce, not what they've done/written since that would be nada, the Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash--no way do they belong in the HOF as performers.

Journey, Def Leppard (how is DL not in a the Beastie Boys in; it is laughable), belong if Jett and others above do.

Okay, so much for my brilliant opinions.

Stive
AG
How drunk were you when you made these three posts? And what does any of this thread have to do with the rock and roll HOF???
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
How drunk were you when you made these three posts? And what does any of this thread have to do with the rock and roll HOF???

lol....i'm confused too....but entertained.
israeliag
AG
LegettHall = drunk Redstone
Professor Frick
AG
Redstoned.
Redstone
AG
How much rancid opinion garbage can be shoveled into the diseased e-hole of this board? What a deplored basket of lists we have evidenced here.

As far as I'm concerned the only stones that should roll are Dylan, debut to Nashville Skyline, and then of course the greatest rock band of all time.
Professor Frick
AG
Well put.
Southlake
Yup
LegettHall
GiveEmHellBill said:

Rolling Stone is still a thing people pay attention to?

Yes.

The people that work for that rag and the owner is riveted.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.