Obscure bands you used to listen to--and maybe are ashamed of

8,666 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sailor
AGinHI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My brother had a friend in the music industry. He would send us tapes that had a lot of demos (he sent us a recording of GNR live before they even had anything out) and songs by bands I'd never heard of.

One of those bands was called Grim Reaper (this was 10 years before they would appear on a Beavis and Butthead episode in 1994)

and their song "See You In Hell" was a personal favorite

Wow
AgLaw
AG
The Posies
zip90
AG
Alphavile
Forever young

R0GUE
AG
Jackyl

AggieChemist
AG
quote:
Jackyl

Saw them in concert a couple years ago. Still rockin the chainsaw.
Yoda
AG
That lead singer looks like Bill Hader's Steffon.
Big Cat `93
AG
The Posies are great.

Mine: Darling Cruel.

Duncan Idaho
An ex girlfriend that went on to date and eventually marry a A&R rep used to send me all kinds of tapes mostly 90s hair bands.

Everyone in a while they will pop up on Sirius's hair nation

Vain, London choir boys, salty dog, little Caesar were some of the more obscure ones that I liked and remember hearing on Sirius
wesag
AG
Deep Blue Something
AGinHI
AG
Forever Young is still the jam, even Jay Z did a remake--my goodness that 80's style though.

LOL at Jackyl--I've heard the name but have never listened to them or seen that video.
Tanya 93
Small Stars
chico
AG
I heard this song on Rice Radio (KTRU) back in the 80's and searched for the album. Finally found the album in an obscure Denver record store a couple years later. Solitary Man and Living Kind were probably their "best" songs.

Ups and Downs covering Solitary Man
The Debt
Bon Jovi
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Jackyl

I hear the sips are using one of their songs for this dildo revolution thing....

She Loves My C*ck
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
My brother had a friend in the music industry. He would send us tapes that had a lot of demos (he sent us a recording of GNR live before they even had anything out) and songs by bands I'd never heard of.

One of those bands was called Grim Reaper (this was 10 years before they would appear on a Beavis and Butthead episode in 1994)

and their song "See You In Hell" was a personal favorite

Wow

That's hilarious!! Typical hair metal with some REALLY over-the-top acting.
FNG
My brother would read Circus and Hit Parader magazines. We would see a mention of a band we had never heard of or see a small ad for a new band on Megaforce records or another small label and find their albums for a listen.

We also had a friend in Portland (Texas) that frequented a record store in Corpus Christi that carried all kinds of cool new stuff. This friend was talking about Ratt months before they hit the airwaves in Houston.

Bands that I recall fitting this category:

Vandenberg
Riot
Max Webster
jrod2181
Vallejo
mazag08
AG
Ever heard of Tex-Mex punk music?

dcAg
Anyone remember:

Kix
Budgie
Marillion
Legs Diamond
King Crimson
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Nickleback.
BJM1781
AG
Local rappers, The Gotti Family. Their classic "Straight Out of Leatherwood"is still a jam.
Rex Racer
AG
Kix was great.

But not as great as Steelheart! The last note on "I'll Never Let You Go" will crack windows.

Sheriff was also greatness. "When I'm with You" was always on the dedications and also features a last note that is pretty up there.

AGinHI
AG
Here's another one which I first heard as a demo--some of y'all may have heard of the band Helloween, well there was a Detroit metal band called Halloween, and outside of their demo I heard some three decades ago (the song below and one other) I couldn't ever find anything on them until I did a search just today

I really listened to a lot of crap
Hagen95
AG
I am pretty sure I had a Halloween cassette back in the day.
AGinHI
AG
No kidding.

I could never find them. Ever.

@dcAg--King Crimson and Kix

I'm going to spend some time checking out the bands/songs I never heard of on this thread

Philo B 93
I've been into many obscure bands over the years, but when I say obscure, that probably means no record company. So, unless you were in Houston in the 90s and saw the Hollisters or Hadden Sayers, those name mean nothing. I was a big Salty Dog fan (Geffen Records), but who wasn't during the week of March 17-24, 1989? Not obscure at all..... during that one great week.

I'm ashamed of nothing. I used to play Karma Chamelean on acoustic guitar at parties for a laugh, and I would do it today. I still enjoy a Debbie Gibson or Tiffany single every now and then. That music is like a Taco Bell taco. I don't want much of it, but one every now and then is really pleasing.

95_Aggie
AG
Novo Combo

Opened for Cheap Trick at G. Rollie White
AgLaw
AG
Anyone remember Stryper. Awful.

Terrible Bumblebees
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Anyone remember Stryper. Awful.

Terrible Bumblebees

Typical liberal hate. Why do you hate Christians?
Duncan Idaho
R0GUE
AG
Another one I used to really be into was Manowar. More cheesy 80's metal.
spanky
AG
quote:
The Posies
I actually met the band when they played at Liberty Lunch in the 90s. It was the Frosting on the Beater tour. I still love that album to this day. Power pop overload.

I used to like Eve's Plum. They later broke up and the lead chick become a horrible pop star named Vitamin C.
dv0478
Damn, some hate on some good bands in here. The Stryper mention is funny. The stuff they put out the last 10 years is infinitely better than anything from the 80s.

superunknown
AG
quote:
Anyone remember:

Kix
Budgie
Marillion
Legs Diamond
King Crimson

You from S.A. or what?
tysker
AG
quote:
I'm ashamed of nothing. I used to play Karma Chamelean on acoustic guitar at parties for a laugh, and I would do it today. I still enjoy a Debbie Gibson or Tiffany single every now and then. That music is like a Taco Bell taco. I don't want much of it, but one every now and then is really pleasing.
I'm not embarrassed by my Bell Biv Defoe / Boys II Men / Jodeci / Shai phase.
But I am embarrassed that I played the hell outta that Pimpadelic CD I picked up after seeing them open for Pushmonkey
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.