Mistakes on recorded songs

11,240 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
Ringo88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Eminence Front first chorus always stands out. My musically inclined 7 year old picked right up on it. Listening to it yesterday I was struck by John Entwhistle's restraint on bass during the opening and first verse before letting loose on the chorus forward.
Ringo88
AG
....and Van Halen was surely not knocking on a door before his Beat It solo. If that's him at all, it sounds like he's knocking on his guitar.
Btron
AG
-Pretty much all of Exile in Main st. The fact they recorded most of it in a basement in France then mixed it and add to the album in the states caused for a lot of "errors". This is not a bad thing but you could tell it had a thrown together feel but it ultimately worked out great.
-The last verse of Wanna be a baller by Lil Troy, I have no idea what that guy is saying. Outside of " double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me" everything else is gibberish.
dave94
AG
quote:
quote:
In Ring of FIre, always felt the trumpet flair after "I fell for you like a child" came in a beat or two late.
That seems pretty likely.

https://books.google.com/books?id=MmJcE5fLxyYC&pg=PA110&lpg=PA110&dq=two+mexican+trumpet+players+and+and+started+explaining&source=bl&ots=NUeSNlOLz1&sig=JpMEoQYbXmD47adY1qQ58SSVJho&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSrdz29cvOAhXMQSYKHWHvCn0Q6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=two%20mexican%20trumpet%20players%20and%20and%20started%20explaining&f=false

Close enough though.

I've always thought it was an intentional change up from the first verse. I like to think it was anyway!
Boo Weekley
Amazing how so many of these mistakes fit in so well with the song and even add some character to them.
Human
AG
James Brown's "I Got the Feelin'"

During the chorus his voice fades out around the :52-54 second mark.

It's probably and very likely due to him dancing and turning his head away from the microphone.

He does it again during the second chorus.

The Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me"

There a feedback chirp during the opening intro around :11 seconds.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
....and Van Halen was surely not knocking on a door before his Beat It solo. If that's him at all, it sounds like he's knocking on his guitar.

Pretty sure (at least I hope) that was a very poor attempt at a joke.
bthotugigem05
AG
I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but I mentioned "When it's Love" by Van Halen to someone and they said "oh, the typewriter song?" I didn't know what they meant so I listened to it pretty closely...and now that stupid noise is the only thing I hear.
IJones23
Get It Together, a freestyle on the Beastie Boys Ill Communication. Q-tip wore salmon colored Timberlands to the session and MCA was giving him crap about them, so he brought it up in the freestyle and Q-tip had to stop and laugh.
LawHall88
AG
For you old folks, in "I Saw Her Again" by the Mamas and Papas, one of the band members came in early and sang "I Saw Her..." before the final verse. The produced liked it and left it in.
bigjohn1
AG
On the piano intro to "Nobody Does It Better" - Carly Simon (theme to The Spy Who Loved Me), it always sounds like an sour note is hit. (around :10-:12 into the song)
12f Mane
AG
I've always thought that Jenkins missed muting a string on Wake for Young Souls by Third Eye Blind at 3:01

Big Al 1992
AG
On Beatles "We Can Work It Out" one of the rhythm guitars hits an obvious bad note.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
doesn't Axl have a big sniffle/sniff during November Rain? could swear i hear that.
bthotugigem05
AG
Eric Cartman coughs between the first chorus and second verse during his cover of Come Sail Away.

Well ok I guess that was a live version but whatever it still cracks me up.
CorpsAg11
AG
quote:
"Polly" - I think it is the third verse where Cobain starts singing "Polly said" too early...Vig said he left it in there. This one is kind of disputed since there are earlier recordings with the same early "Polly said" on the 3rd verse.
First one I thought of and one of the only ones on here that doesn't fit perfectly in the song.
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:
quote:
Rumor is that she had a miscarriage the night after singing this.

Not a rumor. Actually happened shortly after leaving the studio in the middle of the night....by the way, if you're not familiar with it, look up the story and circumstances of how she ended up on that song.....she couldn't listen to the song for many years afterwards.

Actually, she (Merry Clayton) recorded her own version of "Gimme Shelter" the following year.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Rumor is that she had a miscarriage the night after singing this.

Not a rumor. Actually happened shortly after leaving the studio in the middle of the night....by the way, if you're not familiar with it, look up the story and circumstances of how she ended up on that song.....she couldn't listen to the song for many years afterwards.

Actually, she (Merry Clayton) recorded her own version of "Gimme Shelter" the following year.

Interesting. I made my comment based on reading things like this over the years......

quote:
Despite giving what would become the most famous performance of her career, it turned out to be a tragic night for Clayton. Shortly after leaving the studio, she lost her baby in a miscarriage. It has generally been assumed that the stress from the emotional intensity of her performance and the lateness of the hour caused the miscarriage. For many years Clayton found the song too painful to hear, let alone sing. "That was a dark, dark period for me," she told the Los Angeles Times in 1986, "but God gave me the strength to overcome it. I turned it around. I took it as life, love and energy and directed it in another direction, so it doesn't really bother me to sing 'Gimme Shelter' now. Life is short as it is and I can't live on yesterday."

http://www.openculture.com/2013/06/mick_jagger_tells_the_story_behind_gimme_shelter.html
MarathonAg03
AG
There appears to be a disconnect between that writer's interpretation and the fact that Merry Clayton recorded the song on a solo album a few months after she recorded with the Stones.

Here's her 1970 recording:

TexasAggie_02
AG
not really mistakes i guess, but "Friends in Low Places" by Garth has a band member yelling "push marie" for a friend's (or maybe band member's?) wife that was pregnant at the time. There's also a moment where you can hear a beer can open. They basically crammed a ton of ppl in the studio for the crowd chorus.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.