Best Free Concert You've Witnessed - Me? Night Beats, San Marcos

2,487 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by petey88
mjfrog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tonight, we went out to San Marcos to check out MR Fest. The "festival" itself could use a little compression (need more bands playing simultaneously) as acts were too scattered at early times for us to take in all the other unsigned bands. But we caught Night Beats, likely the best act. Their 50 minute performance was excellent, and I think they're a band to watch for as an up-and-comer. Lots of energy, a blues and early 70s influence, with a splash of early 90's Stone Roses on top.

Here's a more polished version of what we saw...

Btron
AG
How long have you been promoting your sons band?
Trident 88
AG
Stevie Ray Vaughan, South Padre Island, Spring Break 1987
Hogties
AG
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Freemont street in Vegas New Years 2000. I barely remember it but my pictures show that I had a great time.
AggieHank86
AG
Reckless Kelly did a great show on the back porch of the Chicken, I think it was in 2001.
AgHawkeye
AG
Springsteen at SXSW. No wristband and walked right up to the Moody and got in after about a 10 minute wait.

Turnpike Troubadours at The Watermelon Thump festival was good too.
ApachePilot
AG
Bellemy Brothers in Georgetown Texas
Played in downtown square. One of my favorite country groups.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Van Halen - West End Dallas 1991
oragator
I was at Paul Simon's concert in Central Park in '92.

That was pretty cool.
Hey Nav
AG
4 or 5 years ago at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in San Francisco.

I think there were about 8 stages.

Saw Earl Scruggs and his band - might have been his next to last show before he passed on. Glad I made the trip.

Then there was the time I strolled in and watched Cat Stevens warm up for a concert that night. He could play some pretty good rock and roll on the piano.

I was the only one (not working) in the entire coliseum. He even apologized to me when he sailed a piece of gum over my head. "So sorry, didn't see you" . Was only a half dozen songs or so, but it was pretty cool when you're 17.
Mustang1
AG
Sammy Hagar at Cabo Wabo was a nice surprise.
mjfrog
AG
I expected to see Van Halen (Hagar) on the responses. I was at the TX Jam when Sammy had throat issues and promised a free show for Dallas in the future. Nice gesture.
mjfrog
AG
Thanks Btron for your bump and your 7 fake blue stars, cuz Bro-****ry rulez!
schmendeler
AG
randomly got someone's tickets for free to U2 in houston in 2009. that was pretty cool.
Whatever happened to that guy that was always posting videos of his 12 year old son shredding?
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
randomly got someone's tickets for free to U2 in houston in 2009. that was pretty cool.

So did the OP mean that the concert was free for everyone or a concert that you did not pay for?
boy09
AG
quote:
Turnpike Troubadours at The Watermelon Thump festival was good too.
Isn't it like $10 to get into Watermelon Thump? I remember going, first time I saw Turnpike and Jason Boland live.

4 years ago REK played a free concert after the rodeo here in Cuero. That was pretty sweet. Couldn't have been more than about 200 people there.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:

So did the OP mean that the concert was free for everyone or a concert that you did not pay for?
dunno. somebody posted about going to sxsw for free so I figured i'd share my anecdote.
Tanya 93
Peter Gabriel, Paris 1994
Sailor
Here is my cool starry bra:

In the navy, circa 1989, ship pulls into Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico for a couple of days. We stop at the PX and buy a bunch of cheap rum, rent a car on base and drive to San Juan. While there we did the tourist thing, going to the big fort and standing on the cliffs looking out over the water.

Started to get dark and we notice a pretty good sized crowd in a large square along with a stage setup. So we hang around to see what's happening and Ziggy Marley gets onstage with his band and plays for the next three hours. 10,000 Puerto Ricans and 3 white dudes. Had a blast! We were passing the rum around to all the pretty girls and danced our asses off.

Getting around midnight, we are all starting to sober up for the drive back, but are hungry like the ****ens. We spot a Denny's, so we pull up to park and there was a valet who gave us a strange look but took our keys and parked the car as we went inside. Looking around, it looked like everyone was dressed for church, all in suits and dresses, us 3 in shorts and t-shirts. This was Denny's, right? Yup.

They sat us and we ate while we were stared at by the upscale patrons. Was super weird. Anyway, we finished and paid, tipped well and left. Got lost on the way back to the base but it's a relatively small island so eventually we found our way back.

Never will forget it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
well these were not "free" concerts but i actually went for free....actually i got paid and got a t-shirt.

In 1989-90 I was in grad school at SMU. through some friends who knew some guys on the rugby club i got in with them on a couple of "jobs" working security for concerts.

apparently for the bigger shows at Cotton Bowl or Cowboys Stadium the usual concert security company that handled Reunion Arena, etc. needed extra people for the bigger shows but did not want to hire for those because they were infrequent (couple of times per year). They had several organizations they called on for volunteers and one was the SMU Rugby club (big burly guys i guess).

Your assignment when you showed up for these was completely random and you had to be there like 8 hours before the show and hang out all day. Basically unpaid I think we got $10 and the t-shirt.

Well anyway my friends (who had been SMU undergrads) that knew the Rugby guys invited me to tag along. I worked 2 concerts that year.

The first was amazing. For the Rolling Stones on their Steel Wheels tour at the Cotton Bowl I got randomly assigned to the floor. I figured I would be in back somewhere and be too busy to see much of the show. But incredibly I was assigned almost up front by the stage on one side (left facing the stage) about 30 feet from the stage. My "job" was simply to stand there and make sure nobody from the 1st level seating jumped the wall into the floor area. There were access points for the floor and they had to go through there. Guys working those sections had to check tickets all night long. But I literally just stood by the wall and watched the entire show. Also saw the sound check where the band with entourage/wives etc. came onstage and played parts of a couple of songs. Wasn't allowed a camera of course, but had a great free location in a coned off section with one other guy.

The second was Paul McCartney at Cowboys Stadium. For that I was on the floor again but at the back where the tunnel entrance to the floor was. We had 8 or 9 guys back there and took turns in shifts checking tickets. Did not see nearly as much of the show of course, and from much further away, but I heard the whole thing. Mostly we were behind the sound engineer equipment but we could still see fairly well. Still fun.

JYDog90
AG
Bare Naked Ladies at the Olympics in Salt Lake in 2002.
mjfrog
AG
A couple of album productions. I can't imangine what a Rick Ruben/Danger Mouse type producer could do for their sound: Sunday Mourning:
mjfrog
AG
Playing Dead:

full disclosure. I'm not guitarhero'sdad or whatever
Bruce Almighty
AG
ZZ Top. I can't remember the name of the bar, but it was in Houston and they played unannounced.
jrod2181
Cypress Hill/Limpbizkit napster tour. The venue in downtown Houston next to hard rock I think maybe bayou place???
AgPediRPh
AG
Blue Oyster Cult at some beach themed bar in Houston I think in 2001. Great show!
Thunder18
AG
Reckless Kelly @ SHRP
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Global Citizen Festival last year in Central Park.

The headliners were Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, and Pearl Jam, with plenty of surprise acts and some collab between those groups.

Hell of a show.
AtlAg05
AG
Texas Motor Speedway, Matchbox 20, Smashing Pumpkins, DMB, and The Rolling Stones.

I was working the concession stand as a fundraiser but being under 18 meant I could only get the food from the cooks and give it to the cashier. Which was about a 15 foot walk, ended up slipping away to watch all the bands.
Mucho austin
AG
Texas motor speedway:

Stone Temple Pilots w/ Los Lobos opening.

It was at some Harley Davidson road festival and had won tickets through The Edge or whatever the Dallas version of The Buzz is.
TX AG 88
AG
quote:
Stevie Ray Vaughan, South Padre Island, Spring Break 1987

This!
petey88

Not a free show, but it was for me. The British Are Coming Tour at Dallas Reunion Arena 1983. Got in the second show with a used ticket stub from the first show.

Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Joe Cocker, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Paul Rodgers, Ronnie Lane, Kenney Jones.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.