***** House of Cards Season 4 *****

8,197 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sex Panther
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only thing that kept this from being the best season was having to wrap up the Claire storyline from season 3, which was terrible. The stuff at the convention was the strongest stuff of the series, I think.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
Amazed there wasn't more commentary on this. Great season.

I know I'm not the first to suggest this, and it may be an unpopular opinion with most of you (old man yells at cloud rant coming up) but I think its mainly due to how the show is released all at once.

It ruins "watercooler talk" at work or catching up and having a whole week to discuss the most recent episode with your friends that enjoy it as well. With every episode releasing at once, and everybody having different schedules, its almost guaranteed people will be at different points and so to not ruin stuff you basically cant talk about the show until its over for everyone which may be quite awhile for the early finishers who have already moved on to something else. I would much prefer them to release one episode a week like a traditional TV show just to be able to discuss it with people around me that also really like it.
jackie childs
quote:
quote:
Amazed there wasn't more commentary on this. Great season.

I know I'm not the first to suggest this, and it may be an unpopular opinion with most of you (old man yells at cloud rant coming up) but I think its mainly due to how the show is released all at once.

It ruins "watercooler talk" at work or catching up and having a whole week to discuss the most recent episode with your friends that enjoy it as well. With every episode releasing at once, and everybody having different schedules, its almost guaranteed people will be at different points and so to not ruin stuff you basically cant talk about the show until its over for everyone which may be quite awhile for the early finishers who have already moved on to something else. I would much prefer them to release one episode a week like a traditional TV show just to be able to discuss it with people around me that also really like it.
i agree. if you look at most TV discussion threads, most of the posts after each episode are centered around "what happens next". you just don't get that from episode-to-episode with the Netflix releases.

though I don't know that you have to limit it to one a week. they could release maybe three episodes (all at once), then wait a week or so before releasing the next three episodes. that gives the non-bingers time to watch the three episodes before the bingers have already moved on to the rest of the series.
Ranger222
AG
3 or 4 episodes every two weeks seems about right. You can binge them all in one sitting, or watch one hour one night, then another the next, etc. Also allows everyone to get caught up before the next drop. It allows you to keep up with whatever else you might have on your DVR as well.
InternetFan02
AG
Totally agree. It's great to binge but kills the community feel. There's just zero discussion on the nuances and small plot lines of the show anywhere. Imagine Game of Thrones being released all at once or Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul.

Netflix should have the ability to adapt and drop 1-4 episodes at a time.
Phat32
AG
I agree and a very good point. I'd rather them release 1-2 eps a week so we can all discuss i.e. GoT.
israeliag
AG
I like binging them all at once, then coming here to Texags and talking about it on the E-Board. That I enjoy conversing with you maniacs might nullify that as any worthy statement though.
israeliag
AG
quote:
I absolutely love HoC and this season was great (I would rank them 1, 4, 3, 2). But, can anyone else absolutely not stand the Tom Yates character? I think the actor portraying him is terrible, so I don't know if that's skewing my view of the character, but any scenes with him in them are cringe-worthy to me.
I really enjoy Yates. The actor has a tremendous voice, and I think his acting is great. Add to that that all his lines are very very authoryish (speaking in allegory, using many adjectives, fancy words), and somehow I'm always drawn in when he's in a scene.

I also like what he adds - he's essentially the new Meatchum, and is very inquisitive, bringing out more thought and self reflection from Claire and Frank than would have otherwise had the chance. His open relationship with Claire, while a bit telegraphed, was well done.

Finally - the assisted suicide scene was one of the stronger emotional moments in the series for me. Perplexing considering how much the show had made you loathe the mother, Claire, and most of all their relationship.
Buck O Five
AG
Good points, I agree with you on those items.
HawthornAggie
AG
Season 4 was fantastic. Kind of makes me want to go back and binge through the first 2 seasons again. Can't wait for another season.
RC_57
AG
Surprised (pleasantly) to hear of a 5th season

IIRCC there was only to be 52 episodes - like a deck of cards
dfphotos
watched the first 3 episodes last night. damn good stuff. also, neve campbell, still WB.
oragator
Not reading the thread for fear of spoilers, but episode ten (49) was the best in a couple of seasons for me.
nickstro66
AG
I was pleasantly surprised with Joel Kinnaman's performance
swimmerbabe11
I just finished. I had put it off because season 3 was just ridiculous...this season was much more believable. However, I wonder if the circus that is our current race didn't make things seem more credible.
oragator
Great final episode, they really got back to what the show's original draw was, complete and utter ruthlessness.
AggieDPT
AG
Finally started them this weekend. Much better than season 3. It will be interesting if next season is the last. It certainly seems set up that way.
CoachRTM
AG
Just finished season 4 (yes, well after everyone else here)

**** spoiler for last episode (if we're still tagging spoilers) ***

Was the last scene the first time in the series that Claire looked at the camera and broke the "fourth wall"? I couldn't remember any other time.

Either way, I'm excited for season 5. It seemed like a weird break point between seasons, (they are weeks away from the election, right?) but the last 30 minutes were the most exciting half hour in the season.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Was the last scene the first time in the series that Claire looked at the camera and broke the "fourth wall"? I couldn't remember any other time.

Yes. She has equal pay now, so she also gets to break the 4th wall.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.