How is Hail, Caesar?

9,091 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
well I'm sorta bummed about the tepid response. But Im' a sucker for all things Coen Bros so I'll go see it.
cr0wbar
AG
Just watched LadyKillers this past weekend- still love it. Will be seeing this pretty soon. Also- Birdman was a pile of ****
Cancelled
AG
I've enjoyed pretty much every Coen bros movie. I wasn't much of a fan of the Big Lebowski or A Serious Man - I couldn't really get into that one. I saw the trailer for Hail Caesar and I really wasn't too interested. But, my old man liked OBWT and a few others, so I took him. He fell asleep. I only laughed once or twice - I think the Laurentz bit was mildly funny.

I thought it was a movie that had good acting, big stars, great sets, but went absolutely nowhere and that the Coen brothers should have really reconsidered making this turd. It was just a big bunch of nothing. I kept waiting for something...anything.
Paladin05
AG
Don't waste your money. This movie was disappointingly dull. How dull was it? So dull that my snoring woke up the people sitting around me. Not even kidding.
TXRed75
AG
quote:
Don't waste your money. This movie was disappointingly dull. How dull was it? So dull that my snoring woke up the people sitting around me. Not even kidding.
I saw it yesterday. I missed the whole sailor dancing part and woke myself up snoring. I'd have left early but work is more boring and the theater chairs were very comfortable.

The funniest part to me wouldn't be funny to anyone else; one of the brief characters looked, sounded, and acted like one of my neighbors who annoys me.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
If she spent those 5 minutes jiggling some naked titays at the camera, maybe she could have saved it.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
quote:
Scarlett Johansen couldn't save it?

She is in two scenes and on camera for less than 5 minutes

So it's got that going for it
Shepherd Boy
So very dull.

Was truly looking forward to it.
permabull
AG
mike_ags_fan12
Does Scarlett at anytime show boobies is the real question..
Texaggie7nine
I was entertained at least. But It really left me wanting. I could appreciate the unresolved way that No Country was left. But this movie really just felt like we got to see a day or two of a guys life in an interesting time of hollywood but nothing really of significance happened.
7nine
ro828
It was a major disappointment. The story, such as it is, is about a couple of days in the life of a devoutly Catholic man who's trying to make up his mind about whether to take a new job that has been offered him.

The photography, set design, individual performances, etc. are great. But the writing would get a C- if it were turned in for a high school level Screenwriting characters.

It's not about people. It's a movie about other movies. These movie genres from the early 1950's are lovingly recreated: a western, a Biblical epic, a musical, and a sophisticated comedy. In other words, it's like watching Turner Classic Movies except you drove across town and paid to see it.

The kidnapping plot is a dud. By the end I was so bored that when Josh Brolin ***** slaps George Clooney was the only time I had any real positive feelings. Now if only Brolin had gone behind the camera and done the same to the writers.
Al Bula
AG
Tried to watch this on a flight. Could not make it past 30 minutes. Terrible.
Objective Aggie
AG
So I watched Raising Arizona instead. Looks like I made a good call.

I somehow had never seen it all in one setting. I know, I know. But problem solved.
Max Power
AG
Caught this on HBO, swing and a miss for me. I just kept waiting for it to get better, didn't happen.

There was one good thing, the actor Alden Ehrenreich, who played Hobie Doyle. This matters because he's playing the young Han Solo in the next stand alone Star Wars film after Episode 8. If he also nails that part we can expect big things from him.
OldArmy71
AG
I saw it in theaters and have watched it several times again on HBO.

I don't think the whole thing hangs together, but I was struck by the fine acting.

Josh Brolin is excellent. The lawyer who is going to handle the actress' adoption of her own baby is great, and that whole scene is hilarious. I like Clooney's acting in general, and he is really funny here.

I've been watching movies for 60 years and I got the allusions to the films, but the sequences with Scarlett and with Channing Tatum, while well-done, just were not that interesting. The movie Clooney is making, however, is an on-the-money parody.

Again, not a very good movie overall.
Humorous Username
AG
Watched this last night. My wife fell asleep during Tatum's tap dancing (we started the movie around 10).

This one didn't appeal to me very much. I'd say it was two hours of my life I won't get back, but the look/cinematography was somewhat appealing.

Overall, a dumb, dumb movie.
GinaLinetti
AG
I fell asleep during the first half last Friday. Didn't care to catch the rest.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I guess I'm in the minirity re: Ladykillers. I love that flick.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.