SPOTLIGHT

10,553 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Anchor
Aggies76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good question Btron.

I think the purpose of the movie was not to address the problem of pedophilia within the church but to tell the story of how it was uncovered by the Globe.

There was a small reference in the movie to priest celebacy and how that was part of the problem, but that sounded a little off to me.
TCTTS
AG
Toldja.
SapperAg
AG
Well deserved win. A fantastic film.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Toldja.

Don't make me dig up your The Big Short prediction
Ag Since 83
AG
Well deserved!
Post removed:
by user
Old Main
AG
Well deserved win for Spotlight!

When you think about how much courage it took that team of journalists (and everyone else involved) to go after the Catholic Church in a city like Boston it makes one appreciate the movie even more.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
TheDoctor
AG
Well deserved. Just a well made and acted film about an important topic. Doesn't showboat, nothing fancy, just damn good storytelling with an important message. Very happy for the film. And I'm a proud Catholic.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I was more making fun of the fact that I basically covered all my bases in my "prediction." Totally forgot about that one too.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

WOW!!!

just watched this on PPV.....expecting to be one of those movies I was more disturbed by the abuse kind of things...but I was more enthralled by the investigation. Not that the abuse wasn't horrific but I think already knowing the case and the way they handled it from a storytelling point of view made it different.

but the performances...wow!!!

everyone was great. it deserved best picture for sure. and it was more of an ensemble piece i see why even the biggest noms were for supporting actor. ruffalo and mcadams were very good....but honestly i was most impressed with keaton and liev schreiber. what an understated and yet powerful role for liev even in a small role. and keaton following the tour de force craziness of birdman with such a solid dramatic role and he was kind of the central figure if not the lead. stanley tucci and john slattery were also really good.

redsquirrelAG
AG
Couldn't agree more John snow. Just finished it as well. Crazy this hasn't gotten more hype. I wish the world still had journalists like that. A dying breed. And with less investigative reporting corruption grows.
nickstro66
AG
Just watched it! Very powerful movie! I can see why it won Picture of the Year.
aggiesq
AG
just watched this on netflix. outstanding
Sazerac
AG
i was expecting more for the academy award winner
great cast and pretty solid acting but I thought something was missing
Citizen Reign
Just watched on Netflix too. The long list of cities that ran before the credits was disturbing as hell.

The style reminded me of The Wire. Like someone mention above, this was no frills and just focused on what a team of passionate and talented people can accomplish. I would have loved to have what they could have done with this as a single season series like True Detective.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Netflixed it last night as well. Not bad. Disturbing when she visits the priest that is so blase about the molesting he'd done. And Ruffalo was great.

That said, best picture? Not really. Probably had more to so with the subject matter, as I suspected.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
The long list of cities that ran before the credits was disturbing as hell.

Very disturbing. I knew it was bad, but that's death penalty bad.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
I wish the world still had journalists like that. A dying breed. And with less investigative reporting corruption grows.

We have more investigative reporting than ever. It's just a lot harder to figure out what's true and what's internet bs.
2ndGen87
AG
I liked the movie. I thought they did a really good job of handling the abuse. But I didn't find it to be an all time great movie - AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN.

I really think they had a subject matter for an all time great movie.

Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Saw this last weekend. I thought it was excellent. The entire cast was great and I thought the hype Ruffalo is getting is well deserved, but personally I thought Liev Schreiber had the best performance. The role was probably too small to be deserving of an award nomination, but I thought he absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Just watched this movie for the first time. This post sums up my reaction to the actors.
The Anchor
AG
I caught this on Netflix this morning. What a phenomenal movie! I can't recommend it enough. One of the best movies I have seen in years. It is well acted by everyone. I was in college during this and I didn't really follow the initial few years of the mainstream reports. The movie gave me a new appreciation for true investigative reporters. All of the cities and countries listed at the end really drove home how important this story was and the ramifications of its reveal.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.