Live album

3,920 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by MW03
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"tight", to me, is not the opposite of loose with live music.

It means they play off each other well. When PJ plays "sloppy" it's because that's what they're going for, whether it's because it's something completely unrehearsed, or just going for a more raw sound.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Pearl Jam is tight live? I think the exact opposite.. they are loose, almost sloppy, and don't play songs as they appear on an album...

For a tight live band, see Tool.

Nothing wrong with PJs approach of course.. but you have a strange definition of a tight live band if you think they represent one.

I don't know much technically about music, but they sound way better live.
62strat
AG
Diggity, I would call that well rehearsed or in sync. No matter what they do live, all 5 members are on point.

Diggity
AG
I don't know. I feel like any band that has some mastery of their instruments can practice enough to make a static set list sound flawless.

A truly great live band like Pearl Jam or Zeppelin (or even Wilco) can go completely off the rails into uncharted territory and still somehow pull it off because the members are so comfortable with each other. That's definitely synchronicity but I also would call that a tight band. Maybe I'm off there.
MW03
AG
Wow, the Swans read this thread and did it

http://younggodrecords.com/products/the-gate

quote:
The 4 new / unrecorded live songs (of 6 live songs total) contained here are (long) pieces that were developed through correction, improvisation, and catastrophe over the course of 16 months touring, and they're still not "finished", per se as always, this is work in progress, to be further explored in the studio. Also included are 4 very rough, crudely recorded demos by M. Gira, that will be re-recorded and further orchestrated on the new Swans album

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.