Suggestions on Longer Books

4,927 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
AgHawkeye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You said you like both fiction and non fiction. For fiction long books I would second The Company. It's outstanding. For non-fiction long books get tough to get through and there are lots to choose from. I would recommend trying A Savage War or Peace. It was one that just kept going like a novel.
The Debt
Catelyn scaling the Eyrie chapter in GOTs
israeliag
AG
Although technically two books Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons makes for a great long story (and happens to be my favorite sci-fi).
RightWingConspirator
AG
I just finished "An Impending Crisis - America Before the Civil War 1848-1861" by David M. Potter

It was a fantastic read and focuses primarily on the legislative perspective of the slavery issue. It's about 700 pages or so, but I really enjoyed reading it.
nai06
AG
If you want to mix it up a bit try 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Its right at 1000 pages

quote:
The year is 1984 and the city is Tokyo.

A young woman named Aomame follows a taxi driver's enigmatic suggestion and begins to notice puzzling discrepancies in the world around her. She has entered, she realizes, a parallel existence, which she calls 1Q84 "Q is for 'question mark.' A world that bears a question." Meanwhile, an aspiring writer named Tengo takes on a suspect ghostwriting project. He becomes so wrapped up with the work and its unusual author that, soon, his previously placid life begins to come unraveled.

As Aomame's and Tengo's narratives converge over the course of this single year, we learn of the profound and tangled connections that bind them ever closer: a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision; a mysterious religious cult that instigated a shoot-out with the metropolitan police; a reclusive, wealthy dowager who runs a shelter for abused women; a hideously ugly private investigator; a mild-mannered yet ruthlessly efficient bodyguard; and a peculiarly insistent television-fee collector.

A love story, a mystery, a fantasy, a novel of self-discovery, a dystopia to rival George Orwell's 1Q84 is Haruki Murakami's most ambitious undertaking yet: an instant best seller in his native Japan, and a tremendous feat of imagination from one of our most revered contemporary writers.
Josepi
AG
Shantaram is an amazing book, and about 2/3 true. I have yet to meet someone who didn't like that book.
rhutton125
AG
Since you liked Shogun, there's a book called Taiko from the same era. It's a bit more historical than Shogun, but tells a pretty great story of a peasant who eventually rose to the top and unified Japan. His death, essentially, is what sets the events of Shogun into motion.

Probably a ton of Japanese names though so perhaps it's not as easy to follow if you don't already know a lot of the history. I don't know. It's been years since I read it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.