Terminator Discussion Thread (contains spoilers)

6,644 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I do want to know how Skynet was able to change John AFTER THE central core was smashed. Shouldn't Skynet have been done at that point?

Why did Sarah and Reese need to jump from 1984 to 2017 only to have barely anytime to stop things? Why not "take the long way" like the T800 and give yourself all the time you needed?

Simple, you have one machine not slaved to Skynet like the rest. It has a simple directive. If Skynet goes offline, it executes it's command to infect John.

That is not what happened, though. The adult Genisys character that attacked John in the future said he had come a long way. I'm guessing it had either used time travel or had "taken the long way" by simply waiting until that time.

Also, Sarah and Reese can still have baby John in this timeline since they have now delayed Judgement Day.
Honestly, the events and factors that led to his birth are long past. It would never be John now.

Also, I just got the impression that the particular Terminator had a facet of Skynet's personality in it and not just a drone.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I do want to know how Skynet was able to change John AFTER THE central core was smashed. Shouldn't Skynet have been done at that point?

Why did Sarah and Reese need to jump from 1984 to 2017 only to have barely anytime to stop things? Why not "take the long way" like the T800 and give yourself all the time you needed?

Simple, you have one machine not slaved to Skynet like the rest. It has a simple directive. If Skynet goes offline, it executes it's command to infect John.

That is not what happened, though. The adult Genisys character that attacked John in the future said he had come a long way. I'm guessing it had either used time travel or had "taken the long way" by simply waiting until that time.

Also, Sarah and Reese can still have baby John in this timeline since they have now delayed Judgement Day.
Honestly, the events and factors that led to his birth are long past. It would never be John now.

Also, I just got the impression that the particular Terminator had a facet of Skynet's personality in it and not just a drone.

That is why I called him Genisys. He was Skynet, the same character that was being projected in Cyberdyne HQ during the final battle.
Saxsoon
AG
Yeah I was hoping Matt Smith would have more of a role considering the amount of promotional material he was in.

Also that was an interesting accent he used.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
3. Judgement Day was 1997 in the original 2 movies. I'll quote the opening line of T2 from Linda Hamilton from memory, "3 billion human lives ended on August 29th, 1997. (Something something something I can't remember). They live now only to face a new nightmare, the war against the machines." Then BAM! Terminator foot crushes a human skull. Made me jump the first time I saw it......course I was 9 or 10.
By saying JD is 1997 in this movie, they're ignoring everything that happens in T2. The whole point of T2 is stopping JD, which they do.
They should ignore it. In the world of T:Gynisis, T2 never happened.
That I completely understand. Once Pops showed up everything changed. BUT, the voiceover at the beginning is presumably before any of that has taken place, so even before the movie starts they've already ignored T2.

Essentially, the war in this movie is taking place in apparently the original timeline from T1, and not the post-Cyberdyne-destruction timeline of T2.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Edit: The voiceover, if I remember correctly, is Reese speaking in the future.
Rex Racer
AG
T2 did happen. That is why Reese's memories change when he travels back. JD no longer happens in 1997, so he remembers being with his parents and knowing that JD happens in 2017.
65532ag
It was enjoyable
PhiAggie
AG
Just finished rewatching T1. Good idea...it really helped bridge this latest movie.

What I don't get is why did Arnold go to Big Bear in 84 and kill Sarah' mom, but then her mom died when she was 9 and Arnold was sent as her protector. Then he tries to kill her in 84. Hmmm
Carlo4
AG
I think robot John Connor sent back Arnold to 9 year old Sarah. This ensured anything sent back previously by sky net prior to his transition would be eliminated and she'd feel comfort with a dad that's a cyborg... and mate with Reese at the exact moment to create John.

This guarantees John is born and all the events unfold. Plus, she'd feel comfy knowing her son was a cyborg and could be good (like pops) in the unlikely event of a meeting. That backfired.

Looking forward to Cinema Sins
30_Days
AG
Finally saw this, had put it off because of bad word of mouth.

I wish I hadn't put it off, because I really enjoyed it.

As far as fan-servicy nostalgia sequels go, it was miles more enjoyable and better at everything than Jurassic World.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:

As far as fan-servicy nostalgia sequels go, it was miles more enjoyable and better at everything than Jurassic World.

Must be why it's dominated the summer box office with $85 million in 2 months while jW has limped along making only $650 million.
30_Days
AG
quote:

quote:

Must be why it's dominated the summer box office with $85 million in 2 months while jW has limped along making only $650 million.
I'm at a loss to explain why JW did so well at the box office, it was barely ok.
VanZandt92
Yeah I've been reflecting on the themes of Jurassic World ever since I saw it.

No. I haven't. 650 million doesn't make it less dumb.
GreasenUSA
AG
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/terminator-genisys-sequels-put-on-indefinite-hold-because-film-performed-poorly-at-domestic-box-a6678871.html

Looks like that's the only one we're going to get this time around.
YellowPot_97
AG
That sucks. Just saw it today on a flight and reLly enjoyed it.
GreasenUSA
AG
Yeah, I finally saw it last night and had a great time.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Perhaps they are just testing the waters, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

quote:
Skydance Media Chief Creative Officer Dana Goldberg weighed in on the future of the "Terminator" franchise following the disappointing domestic box office results for "Terminator: Genisys."

"I wouldn't say on hold, so much as re-adjusting," she said Tuesday at TheWrap's 6th Annual Media Leadership Conference TheGrill about the company's plans to pursue a big-screen trilogy as well as a new TV series announced in late 2013.

http://www.thewrap.com/thegrill-2015-terminator-genisys-producer-on-franchises-future-not-on-hold-but-re-adjusting/
RDV-1992
Also saw this on a plane. Really enjoyed it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Emilia Clarke, she gone.

quote:
Emilia Clarke has definitively said she won't be playing Sarah Connor again in the future.

Talking to ComingSoon about the possibility of appearing in another Terminator sequel, Clarke simply responded "No... Can I say that? It's okay. No. Uh-uh. But I have some very different roles coming up."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/21/no-terminator-sequels-for-emilia-clarke
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
thats too bad...i really enjoyed it. Certainly 3rd best one which I guess maybe is a little problem since 3 and 4 were ummmmmm.....not good.

But I thought this had a chance to reboot it and at least finish it off with a good trilogy.

$440 million on a budget of $155 million with other costs for distribution probably pushing it to $225 I guess that means they likely lost money. Of the $440 they would typically get about half or $220ish.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Soooooo..................looks like Sarah Conner finally was able to kill the Terminator once and for all?

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.