Terminator Discussion Thread (contains spoilers)

6,645 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw it yesterday...and...I have no idea what to think.

Spoilers! This thread will contain spoilers!

What was awesome:
The nods to the original. Some we saw in the previews but there were more. Basically a perfect scene by scene re-make from the time Reese time travels to when Sarah Conner gets him as a part of the new time line. The re-do of the scene where the first terminator attacks Bill Paxton is great too.

Sarah Conner: her character was great. Couldn't find anything wrong with her. It was basically a younger version of what Linda Hamilton was in T2.

Arnold!: come on. This is the role he was made to play and he does it perfectly here.

Sarah and Arnold's Chemistry: compare it to Edward Furlong and the Terminator from T2. There wasn't anything about there interactions that I didn't feel was forced. It was perfect. Her name for him, "Pops" was actually genuine. And near the end when I heard the line, "Protect my Sarah" really got me and gave me flash backs to my reaction of, "I order you not to go!" Using the word, "My" showed the fatherly level of protection that he had found having looked after her since she was 9.

Action: more action than what I expected. The fight in 2029, first terminator (2 times actually), T1000, and multiple battles with John. I loved all of it.

What I disliked:

Kyle Reese: his acting didn't do anything for me at all. He was definitely for the most distracting and I was constantly reminded that I was watching a movie and prevented me from being fully immersed.

John Conner bad guy: totally unnecessary. The plot started off pretty interesting and it could have kept with going through 1984 first and then 1997 and wouldn't have needed John Conner to be a bad guy at all. His acting wasn't bad, but was so out there it was hard to stay invested. There was one real bad ass scene with him though. He's pursuing Kyle and Sarah, and starts repeating the lines from Kyle in the first one with a slight twist when Kyle is explaining the thought process of a terminator, "I can't be bargained with. I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pitty....etc." That was awesome.

The ending: sucked. Just plain sucked. They didn't explain the huge gaping plot whole of who sent back the original terminator when Sarah was 9, or the T1000 in 1984. Also, maybe they thought it was too cliche to kill off Arnie so they brought him back. I didn't get why it was necessary and felt it was more forced to have an excuse to keep him around.

I was also hoping Kyle's character was gonna get killed like the 1st one. He annoyed me that much.

And John Conner dying made sense with what they did to his character, but the movie ended in 2017 and basically makes it seem like John Conner being born would now be pointless. This is the first movie to have done that, where as every other movie has revolved around John being the savior of humanity.

Anyways....way better than #3 and #4.....which are essentially pointless and not necessary to be seen for this movie, but not better than #1 or #2.
Motel California
S
I also have this movie as the 3rd best Terminator film.

I really liked how Arnold came back at the end in his upgraded form. Super cool to see him like that.

I felt the 1984 scene was rushed though the part with the truck driver with the cigar was spot on.

The action was great!!

I liked the acting by "John Conner" though I didn't like the acting at all for Reese.
Cromagnum
AG
Did not care that they left it open ended (again) in the mid-credits stinger.
Cromagnum
AG
I do want to know how Skynet was able to change John AFTER THE central core was smashed. Shouldn't Skynet have been done at that point?

Why did Sarah and Reese need to jump from 1984 to 2017 only to have barely anytime to stop things? Why not "take the long way" like the T800 and give yourself all the time you needed?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:

Why did Sarah and Reese need to jump from 1984 to 2017 only to have barely anytime to stop things? Why not "take the long way" like the T800 and give yourself all the time you needed?

Uh, what were the two of them going to do In that 33-year time span? Get jobs at Walmart, have a couple of kids and wait around to fight Genisys? Plus assuming Reese is 30 at the time of his jump back, do you really want a 63-year-old solider deciding the fate of the world?
Cromagnum
AG
quote:

quote:

Uh, what were the two of them going to do In that 33-year time span? Get jobs at Walmart, have a couple of kids and wait around to fight Genisys? Plus assuming Reese is 30 at the time of his jump back, do you really want a 63-year-old solider deciding the fate of the world?

Ok, we'll why not jump to 2016 and blow that effer up while it's still in beta?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I do want to know how Skynet was able to change John AFTER THE central core was smashed. Shouldn't Skynet have been done at that point?

Simple, you have one machine not slaved to Skynet like the rest. It has a simple directive. If Skynet goes offline, it executes it's command to infect John.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Do they really never explain why a terminator was sent to protect Sarah Conner when she's a kid?
jokershady
AG
This is going to be a trilogy from what I've read. I left the theatre too soon and apparently there's a cliff hanger in the credits.

They ended it the way they did because I guess they've planned to answer more questions in the other films.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
This is going to be a trilogy from what I've read. I left the theatre too soon and apparently there's a cliff hanger in the credits.

They ended it the way they did because I guess they've planned to answer more questions in the other films.

I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn that not EVERYTHING was destroyed.
jokershady
AG
Well of course....because if Judgement Day was truly prevented, that means 'ole upgraded Arnie would just vanish since he came from a future that was supposed to no longer exist....except he's still there at the end of the movie.

Course, that's the same problem with the first terminator movie, because if Judgement Day was prevented at the end of that movie, Arnie's arm that was left behind would have vanished and so would have Kyle Reese's body......
jokershady
AG
Wait....nevermind.....T1 wasnt about stopping judgement day....there goes that logic.....

Of course, why does Cyberdine exist in T2 only cause they found Arnie's arm in the first place which never happened in the original timeline that had judgement day anyways but was the reason judgement day eneded up happening in the first place according to T2

You'll need to read that several times to follow that train of thought ;-)
Motel California
S
quote:
quote:

quote:

Ok, we'll why not jump to 2016 and blow that effer up while it's still in beta?

Was this you're first movie to have ever watched? You seem new to all of this
Cromagnum
AG
So in a nutshell, if you stopped Judgment Day, there would never be a reason for John Connor to send Kyle Reese back. If you don't send Kyle back, John isn't born, which would mean you can't stop Judgment Day.

Spoilers

Now that they killed John and delayed Judgment Day is there any point in having sexy time to make John?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Almost every time travel movie has loop holes, especially when there's sequels involved. Take the Austin Powers approach and just don't worry about it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
1. Who sent back the T-1000 to 1984?
2. How THE **** is there a time machine in 1984?
3. Why is Judgement Day said to be 1997 in the opening dialogue, are they ignoring T2 and T3?
4. Skynet is a person now?

Some pretty huge questions that need answers, but it was fun. Nowhere near the level of T1 or T2 obviously, but better than T3 and probably on part with Salvation, for me. Loved Emilia Clarke, and I thought Jai Courtney was better than I was expecting. I agree that John Connor as a bad guy was a very bad call though, you don't make your series hero the bad guy.
Motel California
S
I think making Conner the bad guy was their way of trying to make things fresh and unpredictable. Plus with time travel the opportunities are endless
toucan82
quote:

Now that they killed John and delayed Judgment Day is there any point in having sexy time to make John?

yeah... sex
jokershady
AG
quote:
1. Who sent back the T-1000 to 1984?
2. How THE **** is there a time machine in 1984?
3. Why is Judgement Day said to be 1997 in the opening dialogue, are they ignoring T2 and T3?
4. Skynet is a person now?

Some pretty huge questions that need answers, but it was fun. Nowhere near the level of T1 or T2 obviously, but better than T3 and probably on part with Salvation, for me. Loved Emilia Clarke, and I thought Jai Courtney was better than I was expecting. I agree that John Connor as a bad guy was a very bad call though, you don't make your series hero the bad guy.
1. I think that'll be explained in the upcoming movies. As well as who sent back Arnie when Sarah was 9.

2. Great question. Of course by design technically they couldn't make it work without the technology from the future from the first terminator (they took a chip out of his head and used it in the machine).

3. Judgement Day was 1997 in the original 2 movies. I'll quote the opening line of T2 from Linda Hamilton from memory, "3 billion human lives ended on August 29th, 1997. (Something something something I can't remember). They live now only to face a new nightmare, the war against the machines." Then BAM! Terminator foot crushes a human skull. Made me jump the first time I saw it......course I was 9 or 10.

4. Someone made a post above that it's feasable that a computer program advanced enough that can make robots could put it's higher authority of thinking in an infiltrator terminator and change it's design.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
3. Judgement Day was 1997 in the original 2 movies. I'll quote the opening line of T2 from Linda Hamilton from memory, "3 billion human lives ended on August 29th, 1997. (Something something something I can't remember). They live now only to face a new nightmare, the war against the machines." Then BAM! Terminator foot crushes a human skull. Made me jump the first time I saw it......course I was 9 or 10.
By saying JD is 1997 in this movie, they're ignoring everything that happens in T2. The whole point of T2 is stopping JD, which they do.
30_Days
AG
I'm really conflicted about whether or not this movie is worth going to see today.
Motel California
S
quote:
I'm really conflicted about whether or not this movie is worth going to see today.

I just bought my ticket.. Again
30_Days
AG
I usually don't put much stock in critic's reviews, but after reading Devin Faraci's scathing review I'm definitely having second thoughts.

Maybe it'll be worth a $5 matinee mid-week, if I forgo popcorn.
BigRobSA
Saw it yesterday during the matinee pricing times. Was worth the $5.75.

Not going to win any acting awards, but it's a solid action movie.
Saxsoon
AG
I thought the Connor as a terminator was going to be awful but it actually worked for me. They will definitely be explaining more in the other movies. Action was great and cgi wasn't terrible. Some cool effects with John. Overall I had fun though I wish Matt smith had more of a part
VanZandt92
can't see it until Friday dammit
Motel California
S
I enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Though I still have it as the 3rd best Terminator film. I have it closer to the first films than I did previously
jokershady
AG
quote:
quote:
By saying JD is 1997 in this movie, they're ignoring everything that happens in T2. The whole point of T2 is stopping JD, which they do.
They should ignore it. In the world of T:Gynisis, T2 never happened.
Wheatables02
AG
Except for miles dyson.
PhiAggie
AG
This was my thought...why not just never bang Sarah Connor? No banging, no John.
PhiAggie
AG
It was OK. Like the disappointment from Jurassic World, i just wanted more out of this.

Some parts were cool, like the T1 flashback, but this Sarah just didnt do it for me. First thing I noticed...she's no Linda Hamilton. Linda was ripped...this Sarah was...average. Kyle Reece acting was average and unmotivating.

And seriously....she's worried about not knowing how to live and choose her own way, when she's charged with saving the world? Please! How about any way you want!!!

Definitely 3rd in the top 3, but nothing will ever live up to T2. Overall it was an entertaining summer movie.

Saxsoon
AG
quote:
This was my thought...why not just never bang Sarah Connor? No banging, no John.
I think they honestly touched on this with John. The three of them are displaced in Time. All of time travel has focused on the their family, them not banging wouldn't necessarily stop the current one from existing.

Also, it is Emilia Clarke
AGinHI
AG
The Terminator and Alien franchises both should have stopped at 2.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:

Simple, you have one machine not slaved to Skynet like the rest. It has a simple directive. If Skynet goes offline, it executes it's command to infect John.

That is not what happened, though. The adult Genisys character that attacked John in the future said he had come a long way. I'm guessing it had either used time travel or had "taken the long way" by simply waiting until that time.

Also, Sarah and Reese can still have baby John in this timeline since they have now delayed Judgement Day.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:

The events of T2 have not happened yet in 1984. So Judgement Day was still 1997 at that point. But the events of T2 pushed Judgement Day to 2017. That's why Reese senses the change in his memory when he was traveling back.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.