HBO's new series - Brink

9,742 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by MaroonStain
scoodogg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I actually enjoyed this show. Maybe it is just my type of humor. Or, I was just desperate for something to watch.
shalackin
AG
I found the show pretty funny. the revolving door of power was great. we will put anyone in power and deal with their craziness later. Some of you guys are too harsh on stupid comedies.
MaroonStain
AG
I know Brink did not satisfy the resident Pulitzer winners but bring on Season 2.
Furlock Bones
AG
the cast was too good for them to **** up this bad.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
the cast was too good for them to **** up this bad.

Kind of agree with this.

It's sloppy, it's disjointed. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Robbins clearly influences the dialogue a bit too much on his "political jokes" to the point that it seems more like taking an opportunity to get a jab in more than deliver a quality line.

However, it was just enough to keep me watching through the end. Decent enough for summer time, but it's a c-level series on an a-level network.

Ballers was awful. I don't know if I'll give either a watch in S2.
shalackin
AG
Did you guys think Brink was supposed to be Homeland? Its a facking comedy, and a pretty funny one at that. And Ballers is a just a new Entrourage, with football. Quit being a bunch of racist jackholes.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Did you guys think Brink was supposed to be Homeland? Its a facking comedy, and a pretty funny one at that. And Ballers is a just a new Entrourage, with football. Quit being a bunch of racist jackholes.

Well you obviously have us pegged, so why even offer up discussion
shalackin
AG
glad you agree
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Did you guys think Brink was supposed to be Homeland? Its a facking comedy, and a pretty funny one at that. And Ballers is a just a new Entrourage, with football.Quit being a bunch of racist jackholes

Let's take a new stab at this idiotic statement.

quote:
Did you guys think Brink was supposed to be Homeland?

No. No one thought a slapstick comedy with Jack Black and Tim Robbins was supposed to be Homeland.

quote:
Its a facking comedy, and a pretty funny one at that

No. It's a ****ing comedy, and a pretty crappy one at that.

quote:
And Ballers is a just a new Entrourage, with football.

Yes, that's what it was pitched as... "hey let's make entourage but with wealth management and athletes instead of movie star and agent."

Except that doesn't mean the quality of the shows are even remotely similar. Entourage wasn't even "quality," but it passed as goofy and watchable for multiple reasons, and had enough of a sense of endearment among the cast that people could relate, or they think they could relate if they were in the same position. Entourage also centered around Vinny, the movie star.

Ballers centers around The Rock, the money manager. The Rock has nowhere near the charisma or acting chops of Piven. There is no emotional tie at all to Vernon or his family, because the writing and acting is so shotty in those scenes that it feels like they are literally trying to hurry them off camera but finish the storyline.

Ballers is an awful show that doesn't have 1/10th the level of comedy that Entourage was. Maybe it gets better, but who knows.

quote:
Quit being a bunch of racist jackholes

And there it is. The grand finale of dumb.

Step 1: Make up an argument that no one even came up with and argue against it(Bring=Homeland)..CHECK!
Step 2: Downgrade "seriousness" of any critique of the show in your mind, attempting to say it shouldn't be criticized because it's a light-hearted comedy. CHECK!
Step3: Play a ridiculous race card, even if you plan on cloaking the post as "joking."

It's ok to like ****ty television. There are a few ****ty shows I'll watch, especially in the summer. Hell I got through season 1 of both of these shows, and neither are anything close to "good," and they're on the bad side of "average"
shalackin
AG
I love you!
oragator
Brink wasn't great, but if got better towards the end of the season. It still couldn't figure out what it was though, it tried farcical humor, slapstick, physical comedy etc. it needs to settle on being smarter than it is, if they could do that then other stuff they try would work better I think. That's how veep gets away with it for instance.
But all in all for a summer half hour show it wasn't that bad.
Tobias Funke
AG
I thought it was a pretty charming show. I look forward to season 2
schmendeler
AG
quote:
I thought it was a pretty charming show. I look forward to season 2
or not.

Canceled
oragator
Well that blows.
Feel bad for the crew, they had been told they had a job for another year and now months later they don't. Hope there are still opportunities for them this late.
Sex Panther
AG
Ballers and Brink were both terrible. They belonged on Spike TV or whatever it's called now, not HBO.
Furlock Bones
AG
and boom goes the dynamite.
MaroonStain
AG
Ballers was bad and Brink was what Brink was with an over-the-hill cast. I will miss Carla Gugino though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.