The best unproduced script I've ever is finally getting made (PASSENGERS)

53,336 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wessimo
wesag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS is the movie he wrote. He was excited when he typed it in. He is rooting for you and the enthusiasm and all.
Bunk Moreland
wesag said:

TCTTS is the movie he wrote. He was excited when he typed it in. He is rooting for you and the enthusiasm and all.

Wait I thought he meant "you" as in TCTTS is Chris Pratt, and he's rooting for him and the success of the movie.
VanZandt92
They were talking Passengers
Vander
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, one series of tweets I read was from this woman just going on and on about she's never been so mad at the end of a movie, that they need to quit making men the heroes just because they're men, that Lawrence's character shouldn't have forgave him, etc. I'm see the world "problematic" a lot (which I hate), but they don't realize that the script is ACKNOWLEDGING that it's a "problematic" situation. That's the whole point. He makes an unethical choice. And then has to deal with consequences of it. As if every movie should portray only perfectly ethical situations. So dumb.

You should not be surprised by this. You're just now seeing what many of us have seen for years. These feminists HATE white men and this agenda is seeping into everything now. If the movie doesn't have a woman as a hero or if it has a man doing something "problematic" then it gets bashed and panned by critics. They literally cannot handle ethical conundrums in movies because anything that a man does that affects a woman negatively is bad to the point where the filmmakers should have never even included the scene from their point of view.

I am not remotely going to pay attention to critics for this movie, not when they are using garbage criticism like this.
VanZandt92
I heard something else funny today with regard to Reservoir Dogs. The same entertainment segment mentioned how they were showing RD at Sundance and how there was nary a scene with a female in that movie and no kissing for sure. I was laughing.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

"If you aren't nauseated by the ethics, it's quite engaging."
..and that's one of the GOOD reviews!
Bunk Moreland
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

"If you aren't nauseated by the ethics, it's quite engaging."
..and that's one of the GOOD reviews!

If that's the case then I just may see it in theaters.

As I said on the last page, "the ethics" is a SJW's cop out imo..

It's the natural order of humans in a horrific situation like that to not only connect but fall for someone or multiple people in a pod at an emotional level enough to wake them up.

Hell I'd probably open 20+ if it were me.
MrPlow2010
AG
I bet Keanu Reeves is laughing. Well maybe not but I bet he is disappointed.
G Martin 87
AG
I thought movies were supposed to ask tough questions and make the audience a little uneasy. It would be a really dull, boring movie if Chris Pratt thought about it, and then decided not to wake her up because it would be bad "ethics". So Passengers can't win either way.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
You know, I wonder if folks would be more ok with it if the studio had marketed the moral dilemma as its hook, instead of all these trailers making it look like a love story in space crossed with a Sci fi action/adventure story.

When you go in expecting a love story in space, and find out the guy woke her up, doomed her and kind of manipulated her into loving him instead of revealing the truth, that's a big betrayal of expectations. Of course you'll be frustrated and disappointed at that point.

Some reviews comment on how they think it's trying to be titanic in space. This isn't supposed to be titanic in space at all! And if the marketers created that expectation, then they might get more butts in seats according to their calculations, but audiences will feel misled and disappointed.
permabull
AG
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I finished reading the script this weekend, and I'm going to double down on saying the poor reviews are probably the result of this movie (assuming it stuck to the script) and its marketing being so far disjointed. The movie promised in the marketing doesn't really arrive until the second and third acts, and the third act is the weakest part of the script.

Solid premise, poor marketing.
White Liberals=The Worst
SpreadsheetAg said:

Are these reviews from Rotten Tomatoes? The same guys who gave Snowpiercer a 95%? I will wait and see what normal people think.
Yep, the same ones who gave "Evil Dead" (one of the worst movies of all time) like 96% and Rocky IV 39%.

You read that right, they gave Rocky IV EFFING THIRTY NINE PERCENT.

Bunch of dorky limp wristed hipsters.
White Liberals=The Worst
If feminists are bashing this, I may go see it just to spite them. There is no lower form of life than the modern day American feminist. If they hate something, I am pretty sure I'll like it.
swimmerbabe11
I want to see this, but I still haven't see doctor strange.

My movie going alone phobia really sucks as an adult.
chipotle
swimmerbabe11 said:

Just get married and you get over that real fast. I welcome the aloneness.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
chipotle said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Just get married and you get over that real fast. I welcome the aloneness.
I won't star this in case she's watching.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Movies I have yet to see:

Deepwater Horizon
Fantastic Creatures... whatever
Manchester by the Sea
Passengers
Arrival
Dr. Strange
Hacksaw Ridge
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

You need to suck it up and get over it, because going to the movies alone is about the most peaceful and relaxing thing I can do in my life these days. And I'm not even married yet. I assume that feeling only strengthens after marriage based off the previous 2 posts.
Sex Panther
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Like others have said.... Go once and get over it. It's one of my favorite things to do.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

because going to the movies alone is about the most peaceful and relaxing thing I can do in my life these days
I would have to figure out how to turn off my brain and it being so concerned about what others are thinking. This is why I'm sad when I want to see a movie that my girlfriend or mom doesn't want to see.

And I have gone to several movies alone. I just can't relax and think about the movie.
7nine
swimmerbabe11
I did it once...and I didn't die, but I definitely didn't get "in" to the movie the way I usually would.
It was still really difficult for me tbh. Doing it again makes the anxiety button on my blood pressure jump just considering buying the ticket.
White Liberals=The Worst
Whether I've been single, dating or married I've actually enjoyed going to the movies alone for some reason. I don't do it often, but when I do I usually enjoy it. The first time or to I may have been a little self conscious.
Texaggie7nine
You are welcome to go see it with me and my SO, if you can put up with me for that long.
7nine
Bunk Moreland
I'll try to give some advice...

Go once or twice during off-peak hours when you know the theater wont be that crowded, etc. Maybe you can build it up that way.

By default I usually like to see movies in less-crowded theaters regardless of if I'm solo or with other(s).

However, I've done a completely packed IMAX to see Interstellar by myself and was fine.

Wear a hoodie and sink into your chair. Or wear these:

If you put them on, no one can see you.
swimmerbabe11
Totally derailing the thread. sorry.

I know its the dumbest thing. I was like one of 5 people when I went to see the movie. Brain says "nah this is fine" but my heart is all like "GTFO YOU ARE ALL ALONE IN THIS DARK ROOM WITH YOUR EYES AFFIXED TO THE NON-ENTRY POINTS? YOU ARE A MORON. ABORT!! GET OUT! RUNNNNNNNNNNNN" and my brain is like "shut up. This is fine. Do you know the statistics on movie theatre rapes and kidnappings? Well neither do I but I bet it is really low" and my heart is all like " FUUUUUUUUU"
White Liberals=The Worst
Or people could just realize that 99.9% of humans wouldn't care one bit, if they even noticed to begin with, that you were seeing a movie by yourself. And that the tiny fraction of people who may look down on you for something so silly are more pathetic than you'll ever be.

Life is too short to let stuff like that bother you and based on my experience, your life will be more enjoyable and fulfilling once you stop giving a damn.

White Liberals=The Worst
swimmerbabe11 said:

Totally derailing the thread. sorry.

I know its the dumbest thing. I was like one of 5 people when I went to see the movie. Brain says "nah this is fine" but my heart is all like "GTFO YOU ARE ALL ALONE IN THIS DARK ROOM WITH YOUR EYES AFFIXED TO THE NON-ENTRY POINTS? YOU ARE A MORON. ABORT!! GET OUT! RUNNNNNNNNNNNN" and my brain is like "shut up. This is fine. Do you know the statistics on movie theatre rapes and kidnappings? Well neither do I but I bet it is really low" and my heart is all like " FUUUUUUUUU"
lol

In that case, I may suggest packing a piece.
swimmerbabe11
It's not a "oh no people will notice me"
I enjoy dining by myself. I travel alone plenty. I enjoy doing things solo.

This is a specific claustrophobia/stranger danger thing. As unreasonable as a fear of heights or bugs or clowns..but this is mine.
White Liberals=The Worst
To get back on topic, I cannot believe how bad this one is getting shredded. Seems like with a cast and story line like this one you would have to go out of your way to screw it up. It's not just SJW's attacking it, it genuinely sounds like it very well may be a sh*tty movie. Hoping that's not the case bc I was really looking fwd to this one.
Zemira
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I got over it shortly after I got a job.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I did it once...and I didn't die, but I definitely didn't get "in" to the movie the way I usually would.
It was still really difficult for me tbh. Doing it again makes the anxiety button on my blood pressure jump just considering buying the ticket.
If you are in Houston, I'll go with you... you can even hold my hand if that will make you feel better. But watch out because my wife will probably dump popcorn and coke all over me when she sees us holding hands, and some of it may get on you.
TCTTS
AG
One of the sexiest things I've seen - at least to this movie-lover - was a drop-dead gorgeous model seeing Scorsese's The Aviator alone, on a snowy night in New York. I was there with my family and she sat right in front of us and it was her confidence and curiosity to come alone that was sexier than anything. I don't know why, but I'll never forget that.

That said, I see movies alone all the freaking time in LA. It's one of my absolute favorite things to do. And maybe it's just because it's LA, but no one even thinks twice about it. There are TONS of people there alone. Just a bunch of people in a theater, being alone together, watching a movie - it's fantastic. I can't imagine ever being self-conscious about that.
Ag Since 83
AG
Going to see this tonight (alone). Weird to think the trailers look nothing like I expected based on the discussion about the script
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I might skip out on work early to go see it alone

(Offer still stands SB11) haha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.