First look at the orcs in the Warcraft movie

9,248 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PatriotAg02
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ummm...wow.

First Official Images from Warcraft Reveals Orgrim the Orc
AMW2010
AG
I enjoyed playing the game back in the day before it had so many new editions... I really enjoyed the music in the game
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I really want a dungeon or raid type scene. But I know I won't get one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is this movie animated, or CGI/live action like Avatar?
Red Five
AG
Interesting note from the Wired article on the history of ILM posted on this board:

quote:
PHILLIPS: The third time I almost soiled myself was seeing the concept art for the film we're working on now, Warcraft; it's the most amazing work we've done in the 20 years I've been here.
rhutton125
AG
I was able to go to Blizzcon this year (for free, at that!) where they had a Warcraft movie panel. They showed us a trailer that, honestly, looked good to go - play it at the Super Bowl or something.

But then they showed us about a 10-second clip of what the fully-rendered Orcs will look like - what the finished product will be like, if you will - and it looked really, really impressive.

The movie is about like Avatar meets Lord of the Rings - real humans fighting motion-captured Orcs. Similar to, say, Thor fighting the Hulk in the Avengers or something like that.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Any word on what the plot will be?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
Is this movie animated, or CGI/live action like Avatar?
Live action...
fig96
AG
I don't think there's been much revealed on the plot, but I read an article a while back with the director talking about how the film is an interesting challenge because you have people that are big fans of both sides of the franchise, playing either humans or orcs when they play the game. Because of that he wanted to make sure that he didn't paint it as a good vs evil type of story, making sure that we get the perspective of both sides in the war.

Not quite sure how that's going to translate storywise, but it should be interesting.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I just read the list of characters and it looks like it will be an adaption of Warcraft I and II.

Sweet.

I wonder if Blizzard would relaunch the RTS franchise to coincide with the movie?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
If Blizzard was smart, they'd tease a new expansion (location, boss or Raid never seen before) in the movie and then give it to the fans after the movie is released in the game.

Boom. Money!!!
Red Five
AG
quote:
I just read the list of characters and it looks like it will be an adaption of Warcraft I and II.

Sweet.

I wonder if Blizzard would relaunch the RTS franchise to coincide with the movie?
That was the sense I got as well. I hope they pull it off because that story is badass.
rhutton125
AG
Yeah I think it's essentially Warcraft I, but showing both sides of the story in a fair way.

Here's some of the cast, per wikipedia:

The Humans of Stormwind
  • Travis Fimmel as Sir Anduin Lothar, the lead protagonist for the Alliance. Steadfast and charismatic, Lothar is a knight who has sacrificed everything to keep the Kingdom safe.
  • Dominic Cooper as King Llane Wrynn, ruler of the human Kingdom of Stormwind and a beacon of hope to his people in this time of darkness.
  • Ben Foster as Magus Medivh, the current Guardian of Tirisfal, a mysterious and reclusive protector who wields formidable magical power.
  • Ben Schnetzer as Khadgar, a gifted young mage, embarking on a daring search for the truth during his apprenticeship with Medivh.
  • Ruth Negga as Lady Taria, Queen-consort of Stormwind, King Llane's great love and most trusted counsel.
The Orcish Horde
  • Toby Kebbell as Durotan, the lead protagonist for the Horde. Durotan is the noble Chieftain of the exiled Frostwolf clan, battling to save his people and his family from the vengeful Shadow Council.
  • Rob Kazinsky as Orgrim Doomhammer, Blackhand's right hand. Remarkably cunning and tactically brilliant, Orgrim is also a brave warrior destined to wield the Doomhammer: a weapon of Blackrock legend.
  • Clancy Brown as Blackhand, "The Destroyer". One of the most fearsome orcish chieftains, he rises to become Warchief of the entire Orcish Horde.
  • Daniel Wu as Gul'dan, a sinister Orcish warlock and leader of the Shadow Council. Wielding powerful fel magic and driven by his ravenous hunger for power, he orchestrates the actions of the Horde from behind the scenes.
Other Cast
PatriotAg02
AG
quote:
If Blizzard was smart, they'd tease a new expansion (location, boss or Raid never seen before) in the movie and then give it to the fans after the movie is released in the game.

If it's one thing Blizzard knows, it's how to make money

Boom. Money!!!
PatriotAg02
AG
hope this does well, REALLY want to see the Arthas Menethil storyline on the big screen. His transformation into the Lich King would be movie gold.
SeattleAgJr
nerds.

every last one of you.
PatriotAg02
AG
Ha! Won't argue that. I am nerdy about certain things.
Texags is garbage
Will this movie take 100 days playing time to watch?
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
I don't think there's been much revealed on the plot, but I read an article a while back with the director talking about how the film is an interesting challenge because you have people that are big fans of both sides of the franchise, playing either humans or orcs when they play the game. Because of that he wanted to make sure that he didn't paint it as a good vs evil type of story, making sure that we get the perspective of both sides in the war.

Not quite sure how that's going to translate storywise, but it should be interesting.

Easiest way is to have human vs Orc, then have an Orc or human group (or an alliance between the two) try to do something terrible. This could then bring the "good" orcs/humans together to fight the "bad" orcs/humans.
Knife_Party
This is sort of a story line in warcraft. Orcs want go conquer, but they become slaves to more powerful demons in order to do it. They realize (one of them in particular anyway) how much they ****ed up and how wrong it was and do something to at least end their slavery.

It's a little more complicated than that, but I'll leave it there.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Lothar is a knight who has sacrificed everything to keep the Kingdom safe.

Lothar? Of the Hill People?

rhutton125
AG
I think maybe the Orcs' world is mostly ruined and they come through the portal as a matter of survival. Something like that
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Originally, the orcs show up through a dark portal to conquer because they've got war-like leaders. Later, the humans repel the orcs through the portal to the orc homeland to prevent the orcs from opening more portals in the future. During this struggle on the orc world, one of the orcs tries to open too many portals at once and the world begins to fall apart. Then the remaining orcs flee through the original portal to the human world to escape, but I think they get enslaved on the other side.
The Debt
I would pay good money to see wc3 plot full length.
10thYrSr
I hope it does so well they make StarCraft
PatriotAg02
AG
Here's a nice, condensed account of the original Warcraft story (which will be what we see on screen next year):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter1
PatriotAg02
AG
bump if anyone missed this (or cares) ^
MaroonStain
AG
Yessss.....
fig96
AG
The leaked SDCC footage, get it while it's hot:
http://www.destructoid.com/watch-the-leaked-warcraft-movie-trailer-before-it-s-pulled-296045.phtml
Al Bula
AG
So the orcs are Suge Knight?

Sex Panther
AG
lmao

"I'm already not interested. This is just one big computer. This is Avatar."
israeliag
AG
quote:
The leaked SDCC footage, get it while it's hot:
http://www.destructoid.com/watch-the-leaked-warcraft-movie-trailer-before-it-s-pulled-296045.phtml

Thanks for sharing
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Chris Pratt as Jimmy Raynor?
rhutton125
AG
Very interesting. I think we'll be impressed with the animation when it's not on a slanted camera a year before release. But until then this is really all we have. Womp
The Debt
quote:
quote:
Chris Pratt as Jimmy Raynor?

Ium listnin'
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.