AMC Turn - Revolutionary War

12,929 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Very satisfied with the season. Biggest improvement is that Abe was all-in, not struggling with whether or not he should be doing it. Also, the addition of the military storylines.

Glad we finally saw an actual battle. Crazy to think that we more or less fought wars like that up until WWI.

We actually were called cheaters and vilified in th England because in early battles, especially in southern states we were using guerrilla tactics to take out English officers instead of lining up like that. For thousands of years that's how battles were fought: poor people kill poor people, and then the officers would step in to fight each other.
VanZandt92
Guerilla tactics. The first civil war in america.
[url=][/url]

AliasMan02
AG
The role of minutemen and guerrila tactics is really one of the great myths of the Revolution.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
To clarify, since it happens to be an area of depth for me and since many of my ancestors fought with Marion, the "Swamp Fox", guerilla tactics probably wouldn't be a good description for our tactics against the British in the south. It was more conventional than the movies portray, but yes we did shoot officers preferentially.
[url=http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/852916be-486a-447b-ae80-0bab7daf0c30.jpg][/url]
Also, we mainly fought the British in the south later in the war, not early. That being said, yes there was a first battle of Charleston earlier in the war and there was constant conflict between tories and patriots in the south. Much of that could be more appropriately categorized as guerilla, in the sense that it was more sheer terrorization of both populations, to include killing of civilians and destruction of property, such as burning of houses and intimidation. For instance

The Americans certainly were comfortable in the backwoods, i.e. Marion, and we did not confront the British head on except when we had to, but we aren't talking Vietnam here.

Maybe guerrilla is a bit overboard. Perhaps the best way to describe it is modern warfare techniques? Instead of lines of men, there were cells that would attack and move independently?

That is an amazing story by the way. Being able to trace back your family heritage to that is an ever growing feat.
TampaBayAg08
AG
Love love this show. I thought it was fantastic of the writers to make Abe stumble throughout the season, and be a little too headstrong for his own good. I thought it was pretty interesting to get his wife involved and admit that he needs to improve if he's going to be playing this kind of game. The other thing I truly appreciated was showing a more human side of George Washington, instead of him always being portrayed god-like. The finale was so good--I'm glad even with uncertainty of a season 3 the show runners/writers didn't let that stop them from giving us a great cliff hanger. That said, we better get a season 3.

Some have commented that there's "only" 10 episodes to both season 1 and 2... I actually think this contributes a lot to why the show is so good. No need for filler scenes, with 10 episodes they can get right to the point and entertain us. I feel like this is why shows like Orphan Black on BBC do so well also (although watching this show the same time as Turn, it's flatlined while Turn has skyrocketed to becoming a great show). Then you look at shows like LOST with 22/24 episodes in a season and you can totally pick out entire episodes that clearly were there because the writers had nothing to contribute to the storyline, and just need fillers to fulfill the 20-something episode order.
VanZandt92
I would make a criticism of that last episode. During the battle of Monmouth, they played some contemporary alternative music that didn't go with the drama whatsoever. Whoever picked that jacked it up. Fife and drum is some of the most moving music ever and was actually used, yet they avoid it in this s how. Alternatively, how hard would it be to get some good movie theme type classical dramatic music in there?
VanZandt92
Killer beginning to the season. You must go back and look a the last episode of season 2 to fully appreciate, though. Badass first scene this season, without giving away the surprise. And Washington definitely executed people.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Yep, this has been pretty good so far.
Gigem314
AG
Absolutely hooked on this show.

I really like the direction they're going with this season. Lots of tangled webs.

I'm really intrigued by what they're going to do with Rogers.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'm really intrigued by what they're going to do with Rogers.
Well, whatever road they are taking him down I'm almost positive that it ends with his death.

Also it seems like Shipman has Arnold primed to do what we all know he is going to do.
aTmAg
AG
I didn't realize this show was on yet until I saw that my DVR recoreded 3 episodes. I binge watched them last night, and I agree this season so far is damn good.
VanZandt92
Yeah I find it a very enjoyable series. I'll admit there are a few episodes you need to see to know what is going on, but man I like Rogers and Anna Strong, not to mention Simcoe and Washington himself. Great costuming and the setting looks like the area of New York / Sautuckett
Satellite of Love
I hate the intro song but the show is great!
Gigem314
AG
quote:
I hate the intro song but the show is great!
There's snakes in the garden...
VanZandt92
From our county in NC

"By the time a great old oak was found and preparations for the executions were completed, it was late at night. Pine-knot torches were lit as the over-mountain men and their companions gathered four deep around the condemned prisoners. Three at a time the Tories were swung from limbs of the giant oak. After the ninth hanging, a halt was called. Not all the patriots were ready to grant a reprieve. One bitter Tory-hater pointed to the lim-p bodies and voiced satisfaction: "Would to God every tree in the wilderness bore such fruit as that!"

aTmAg
AG
Rodgers is a BA. Simcoe is a damn good villain. And I loved how Washington said, "too bad, I liked his sermons".
VanZandt92
Rogers is a little scary. Simcoe crazy
swimmerbabe11
I'm in the middle of Episode 10 of Season 2 and man...Abe sure seems to get caught a lot.
He needs to start looking both ways before he crosses the street!
BigRobSA
I like Simcoe's character, he is a good villain. BUT, his voice makes me want to grind puppies into paste.*

*Just kidding, I like puppies. Cats, on the other hand....

VanZandt92
I like ol Simcoe
swimmerbabe11
His voice is perfectly awful. He might be the most hate able villain ever
rhoswen
AG
So what was in the letter Peggy read? Just that Andre was banging whoever?
VanZandt92
quote:
So what was in the letter Peggy read? Just that Andre was banging whoever?

I haven't seen the latest episode.
Trident 88
AG
I don't know what else it would be. He's banging the actress, and I believe Townsend gave her name to Rogers.
PatAg
AG
Finally caught up. Damn this show is great. Can never get enough shows/movie from this era.
Aggie Infantry
AG
I wonder (yes, I am lazy) what the Simcoe actor sounds like in real life...
VanZandt92
One of my friends was on the Turn set recently and asked about the serrated bayonet. The guy said,"artistic license". But hey it is better than Sons of Liberty.
Gigem314
AG
Another great episode last night. Slowly building up to Arnold's betrayal.

The tangled web of lies grows bigger every week.
VanZandt92
Bump.

And the history of Benedict Arnold is more dramatic than they even show!
aTmAg
AG
quote:
I wonder (yes, I am lazy) what the Simcoe actor sounds like in real life...
Goose06
AG
Is Simcoe going to notice his musket no longer has a bullet in it?
The Collective
AG
Are any of you watching S4?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'll be honest, I'm waiting for it to hit Netflix at this point.
The Collective
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I'll be honest, I'm waiting for it to hit Netflix at this point.

I started season 1 just a few weeks back... wish that I would have waited for the show to end before watching. I'm just starting S4 though - so will be caught up soon.
Trident 88
AG
This series is definitely worth your time. Last night's episode was damn good. Only 2 episodes left in the series.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.