AMC Turn - Revolutionary War

12,942 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SIAP

AMC Turn, which is about Washington's spies in the Revolutionary War, is excellent, or at least the episode I saw this week was. If you're looking for some good war and spy action with a few beautiful women thrown in for good measure, this is an excellent show. Yes, it is a dramatization, but there are many things in it that aren't that far off from the actual history. The costuming is very believable, as is the scenery.

Enjoy
mid90
AG
Good show. Very entertaining. Has definitely influenced me to learn more about that time period in American history. Fascinating stuff.

Plus the theme song is awesome.
pfo
AG
We are recording it in case it turned out to be good. Thanks for taking a minute to post. We will watch it now.
aTmAg
AG
Good show. I like it how Woodhull has fully embraced his role as a spy for Washington now rather than being torn back and forth like last season. He's also not yet very good at it yet. Writing stuff down on his arm within sight of English soldiers, screwing up the eggs thing, etc. It would have been retarded if they returned to this season and he was James Bond doing karate on everybody.
dreyOO
Been wanting to watch this. Thanks for the reminder for me to DVR it
VanZandt92
The most recent episode is on the AMC website for free. This is season 2 , however. I'm starting to go back and watch Season 1 on Itunes or Amazon, 2.99 per episode, but I just watched the first episode and it was COMPLETELY worth it.

https://spycurious.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/turn01-rogers2.jpg?w=705

VanZandt92
I would add that I read multiple books on Washington's spies and the Culper ring the past few years, not realizing this was being made. I would encourage you to go back and watch the first show and work from there if you find yourself at all confused. That will clarify the characters, if need be.

They introduced Townsend recently. He was a complex character who was a spy in NY.

Oh and read the book. Even if you don't generally enjoy history , you'll be sucked in.

Hell I'm in New Orleans and considering bagging this meeting and going to my room to watch Turn.

schmendeler
AG
quote:
We are recording it in case it turned out to be good. Thanks for taking a minute to post. We will watch it now.

you realize this is season two, right?
schmendeler
AG
also, season one is available for streaming on netflix.
VanZandt92
quote:
also, season one is available for streaming on netflix.
cool. I had actually ended my subscription to Netflix as I have difficulty in finding what I want. Now I get pulled back in.

Actually, I have to fly tomorrow for 5 hours, so I'm going to download to ipad through itunes. Damn.
pfo
AG
quote:
quote:

you realize this is season two, right?

Not until I read this thread. We just heard about it.
VanZandt92
Hey I tell you what, the first episode is great, so jump on it however you feel is necessary. Just cool stuff.
PatAg
AG
It
's the second season too, first season was great.
VanZandt92
Finished episode 3. No drop in quality. Still great acting, esp Simcoe, the British officer. It has left the real history now, but it isn't dumb like Sons of Liberty.
Gigem314
AG
Great show. I'm a history buff so I appreciate these things more than most folks, but I think they've done a great job with it. It starts out a little slow, but they really develop the characters.

I was really impressed with the first episode of Season 2 the other night. They have a LOT going on right now.
VanZandt92
It really is good. I don't actually agree with it being slow. Rather, i think we're to accustomed to fast paced shows. There has been combat, torture and suspense in every episode, not to mention the stocks and a sprinkling of sex.

Im glad a show like this can stand toe to toe with many BBC programs. There have been
twenty two ags
sort of funny that you dont know the name of the show, and haven't seen season 1, but you disagree with others that it is slow.

the first season was about 50% good and about 50% filler crap love triangle. loved seeing the brilliant blue uniforms of washington and his officers (the red brits were great, too, but you see those much more commonly), enjoyed the parts where the plot actually progressed, didnt care for the time wasted on the wives.
If you are a fan of the show, you have to be concerned about AMC's track record for shows like this - and the track record is that when they dont have a badass show runner like Gilligan or Weiner, they take a potentially interesting subject (like the revolutionary war here or the railroad expansion) and make a half ass show that is more focused on churning out episodes and seasons rather than driving a narrative.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
50% filler crap love triangle
Anything that gets Heather Lind more screen time in those corsets is fine with me.

As for the new season, it was an okay start. I thought the first episode (or first hour?) was good, the second with all of the egg nonsense that ended up being for naught was a little dry.
VanZandt92
The costuming has been spot on.
VanZandt92
Pretty far off in historical accuracy. Good for the historical skeleton of the story and costuming but almost devoid of any factual detail. Better than Sons of Liberty, but no John Adams.

Good thing this is the entertainment forum.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Peggy Shippen boobies! Too bad this is on AMC.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Just been catching up on this show for the second season. Simcoe has to be the most interesting character on the show.
VanZandt92
quote:
Just been catching up on this show for the second season. Simcoe has to be the most interesting character on the show.

I've liked most of the episodes. I find Washington, Townsend and Arnold interesting.
PatAg
AG
Bump for a great show.
VanZandt92
Didn't get to watch last night as i was working on my professional license. Looking forward to watching it later in the week.

I hope they don't go too much further on Simcoe. Let it be a little more subtle. Arnold is coming into play.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Didn't get to watch last night as i was working on my professional license. Looking forward to watching it later in the week.

I hope they don't go too much further on Simcoe. Let it be a little more subtle. Arnold is coming into play.
I missed it last night as well, but I think it may be time for Simcoe to go off and do some raiding with his Queen's Rangers. Though, admittedly part of me wants to see Hewlett and Simcoe square off in a battle of wits to see who can out maneuver the other. IMO, Arnold has a bit of a ways to go before becoming an effective tool for the British. Peggy still has to turn him, though I don't see that taking much effort.
PatAg
AG
I think he is ready to be woo'ed. A lot of talk about "glory" last episode with Washington. I really like this guy's Washington.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Agreed. This season has been kickass. Last season was good, but a little slow at some points. This has kept me entertained the whole time.
VanZandt92
I've enjoyed every episode. I really like Washington's portrayal.
Gigem314
AG
Really looking forward to the season finale tonight.
BigRobSA
I saw this was the season finale tonight, didn't it JUST get back on the air like a month or so ago? Maybe 5 wks (including tonight's) ?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I saw this was the season finale tonight, didn't it JUST get back on the air like a month or so ago? Maybe 5 wks (including tonight's) ?
Just double checked and it appears you are aright. Both the first and second seasons were apparently slated for 10 episodes.
BigRobSA
I really like it, too. So, good programming gets a few wks, while idiocy like "The Bachelor" or "Dancing With the Stars" go for months.

Figures.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
I really like it, too. So, good programming gets a few wks, while idiocy like "The Bachelor" or "Dancing With the Stars" go for months.

Figures.
Yeah they're really short seasons, like 10 episodes. I'm just glad it got picked up for a 2nd season, because now it looks like the show is really developing itself.

Looking forward to season 3. I like how they left things in the finale with Rogers and Abe.
AliasMan02
AG
Very satisfied with the season. Biggest improvement is that Abe was all-in, not struggling with whether or not he should be doing it. Also, the addition of the military storylines.

Glad we finally saw an actual battle. Crazy to think that we more or less fought wars like that up until WWI.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.