Finally saw Boyhood

3,249 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by chico
P.C. Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah I know I'm a little late to the party. I was bad about hitting the movies in 2014 so I'm catching up by watching all the Best Picture nominees.

Loved it. Loved every second of it. It hit so close to home for me. Even though Mason's upbringing was different from mine I felt like I could relate to it on so many levels (especially the growing up around Houston part). The ups, the downs, the relationship with his sister, relationship with his mom, the troubles with his stepfathers, first girlfriend, the conversations with teenage guys about getting laid and being stupid, going off to college, rebelling as a youth. I challenge any male who grew up in Texas to say they didn't relate to something about the movie. Yes, I teared up after it was over. I thought it was a truly magnificent story and I'm a little sad some people didn't see the beauty in it.

The main criticisms I've heard of the movie are that it's dull and there isn't really a resolution. But I think that's the point- it isn't some glamorous Hollywood story with a noble protagonist and an intense conflict, climax, and resolution. It's about life and growing up. The ups and downs you go through from childhood through adolescence and how those experiences shape the person you become.

SPOILER ALERT- when it ended, after that scene at Big Bend, my first thought was "that's it?" But after letting the movie sink in a little, I loved how it ended. That last comment about how the moment seizes us, I found to be really beautiful and a great way to sum up the entire film.

The movie also made me remember how much I love and miss Texas. I've always loved Linklater and I'd go as far as to say this is his best.

I don't know if Boyhood deserved Best Picture but I think all the praise it's gotten is pretty warranted.
phatbc
You stole the words from my keyboard
Aggies76
AG
Agree Rocky Mountain, this was my favorite movie of the year. I was totally unprepared for the emotional impact this film had on me. Sure wish Linklater had won the Oscar. We won't see another like this one.

And I too am sad that more people didn't see the beauty in it. I keep trying to find people who liked it so I can talk about it with them.
VanZandt92
I really really liked it. I have a black cooworker who said it didn't resonate, but obviously did for me. Good soundtrack also.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The most overrated film I have ever seen. I can appreciate the story and the effort it took to film over such a long period of time, but beyond that the movie was crap. Terrible acting.
p-townag
AG
Really liked it, didn't love it. I agree with the post above that a lot of the acting was surprisingly poor. I remember some of the early scenes with Patricia Arquette being cringe worthy.
amg405
AG
I thought it was ok. Underwhelming, given the hype. Great concept, so-so execution.
twenty two ags
quote:
I really really liked it. I have a black cooworker who said it didn't resonate, but obviously did for me. Good soundtrack also.
probably because he was black
VanZandt92
yep. That's why i noted that. He would admit as much. Good guy.
Aggies76
AG
Absolutely loved it and hard to explain why. Growing up in Texas, the resilience of children, the way parents mess up and try to get it right, the kindness of people in our growing up years, the unfolding of a life before your eyes... These are themes that resonate with me.

I must have missed the cringe worthy moments. I thought the acting was surprisingly good considering the risks that Linklater was taking.
Trident 88
AG
100% agree. I grew up along Buffalo Bayou in Houston, and this movie definitely took me back to my own childhood.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic movie.
Lucky Jack Aubrey
AG
Just saw the movie myself. Has anyone pointed out the fact that the Sul Ross roomate was the love child of Wooderson and Marissa Ribisi?
oragator
Once you get past the brilliant way it was made, the plot isn't that different than a number of other coming of age movies (This Boys Life definitely came to mind watching it for one), only this one runs a half hour longer. Wasn't bad by any stretch, but don't understand all the hype around it.
VanZandt92
quote:
Really liked it, didn't love it. I agree with the post above that a lot of the acting was surprisingly poor. I remember some of the early scenes with Patricia Arquette being cringe worthy.

Actually, the acting was good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll agree that Patricia got better throughout the film, but she was never bad.

Oscar was well deserved.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Her performance was embarrassingly bad. Only topped by the more pathetic performance by her "son".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol. K, dude.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Her performance was embarrassingly bad. Only topped by the more pathetic performance by her "son".

Why the scare quotes around son?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
Lol. K, dude.

What's another character she excelled with before or after?

"Son" because it's not really her son.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why are other roles relevant?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
Lol. K, dude.

Whoa whoa whoa what the ever loving ****? You mean two characters in a movie were not actually mother and son? What the ever loving **** are they trying to ****ing pull?

For **** sake next you are going to tell that mark hammil and Carrie fisher aren't really twins.

VanZandt92
I thought she was alright, but I don't think Oscar worthy. But then the Oscars are a joke anyhow.

It isn't a movie I need to watch again. It resonated regardless. And when most other movies seem to be crappy superhero movies, I'll take more like Boyhood, thanks.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Lol. K, dude.

Whoa whoa whoa what the ever loving ****? You mean two characters in a movie were not actually mother and son? What the ever loving **** are they trying to ****ing pull?

For **** sake next you are going to tell that mark hammil and Carrie fisher aren't really twins.

It makes sense grammatically genius. I'm not trying to make a statement.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
I thought she was alright, but I don't think Oscar worthy. But then the Oscars are a joke anyhow.

It isn't a movie I need to watch again. It resonated regardless. And when most other movies seem to be crappy superhero movies, I'll take more like Boyhood, thanks.

No disagreement from me on that point. Human stories, when done right, are much more entertaining. This film just disappointed on so many levels, especially following the hype surrounding the movie.
dcAg
If this had been over a period of one year instead 12 years what would have everyone thought? Although it is a decent movie it is a better concept.

I am interested to hear what everyone thinks of the Before Sunrise movies that are also Hawke and Linklater. Those movies take place over an 18 year period (although not on an annual basis of course).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If you take away the 12 year aspect of it, you're taking away the essence of the movie. This is one of those movies where the way the film was made and presented, is more important that the plot of the film itself. (You could throw some other great films in that category. Memento and Pulp Fiction come to mind.)

As for the Before trilogy, I think all three are amazing.
mhayden
Thought the movie was great, but agreed that Arquette's "acting" only really works if you concede that it's not that great because this is a "true, non-acting type role".

And to bring it full-circle, Arquette's film debut was recently deceased Wes Craven's Nightmare on Elm Street 3 -- in which her first scene took 40+ takes because she was so bad with her lines.
VanZandt92
quote:
Thought the movie was great, but agreed that Arquette's "acting" only really works if you concede that it's not that great because this is a "true, non-acting type role".

And to bring it full-circle, Arquette's film debut was recently deceased Wes Craven's Nightmare on Elm Street 3 -- in which her first scene took 40+ takes because she was so bad with her lines.

So she was believable as a not very bright parent.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Precisely.
Aggies76
AG
Just saw Before Sunrise on OnDemand. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the trilogy.
mhayden
quote:
quote:

So she was believable as a not very bright parent.

Yes.

I think the difference is I haven't seen her in any role where she really shows she has more acting chops than that. Just watching some of those CSI whatever previews is painful when she speaks.
chico
AG
quote:
I am interested to hear what everyone thinks of the Before Sunrise movies that are also Hawke and Linklater. Those movies take place over an 18 year period (although not on an annual basis of course).
The Before series are all fantastic movies. I'm not a big movie guy at all, but seem to love Linklater's stuff. I though Boyhood was truly great, the Before trilogy terrific as well (the endings of part 1 & part 2 definitely leave you wanting more). Bernie, School of Rock, the Before trilogy and Boyhood. He's quite good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.