SNL - a new low tonight.

15,627 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BTHOthatguy
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's also a play on the standard "going off to college" scene most go through. I get why people are offended, but I would say to them this; either comedy isnt for you, or you need to stop being a hypocrite.
Ever laughed a dead baby joke? Well babies die every day you heartless *******.
Btron
AG
EVERY SKETCH FROM THIS EPISODE WAS SO BAD. ALL OF THEM.
The best part was riblet on weekend update. He should do the news each time.
TexasAggie008
AG
I agree with the southpark philosophy of "either all of its ok,or none of its ok" (to joke about). As a conservative, I value freedom of speech and the government not censoring our entertainment, thus SNL can do whatever the heck they want IMO.
glartasal
When I watched it, I also thought they were making fun of those Camry commercials where the girl gets dropped off at the airport to join the army. It's basically the same thing. But it's like "ok nice try Camry, but calm down with the we love the military schtick". It practically made me laugh with how hard they were trying.

Oh and this skit was pretty funny. The shark tank one fell pretty flat but this one made me chuckle.
schmendeler
AG
This op has to be a troll. That was one of the few funny skits in the whole show last night.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
I agree with the southpark philosophy of "either all of its ok,or none of its ok" (to joke about). As a conservative, I value freedom of speech and the government not censoring our entertainment, thus SNL can do whatever the heck they want IMO.

Well said
Clavell
AG
Didn't have real problem with it. Took a recent highly rated super bowl commercial and put twist on it based on highly publicized jihad-est brides. Only complaint was ISIS terrorists should have thrown a veil over her and slapped her to be more relevant.
fig96
AG
quote:
SNL has definitely been biased in favor of dems over the years. They have poked fun at dems here and there, much like John Stewart has...and liberals use this to say "see! They're completely neutral and make fun of both sides!"...but it's not even close. They are virtually all loyal dems, from top to bottom. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Don't think anyone would argue otherwise, largely because most creative/artistic types tend to skew liberal. But there's a big difference between "I think this way so I write skits that reflect my political beliefs" vs "Hollywood is on Obama's payroll".
Potcake
AG
Damn, moderator must be a Politics regular. My post got deleted and there was no personal attack.
Citizen Reign
quote:
SNL has definitely been biased in favor of dems over the years. They have poked fun at dems here and there, much like John Stewart has...and liberals use this to say "see! They're completely neutral and make fun of both sides!"...but it's not even close. They are virtually all loyal dems, from top to bottom. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Fox News
Jon Stewart comedy show on Comedy Central
SNL comedy show
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
It was satire, taking a poke with a big stick at the naive kids (girls in particular) who are leaving to fight for ISIS. Nothing wrong at all and SNL has been making that kind of commentary for 40 years.
It does sort of minimize the evil I guess.

Did SNL ever do a 911 skit? I honestly can't recall. But you can see that getting some outrage.

Again, I laughed. But there's some distance here in the US from this that makes it "funny." I can see both sides of it.
Hello Newman
Why do you watch SNL?
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:
Why do you watch SNL?

Probably for the same reason you watch Seinfeld.
Wade_3
AG
This is great entertainment! I love shows that cause discussion about conspiracies that could never happen I'm really life.

SNL is terrible though so I am really surprised anybody still watches it...must be a slow Saturday evening for some.
BQ78
AG
Did not see, stopped watching SNL over a decade ago because I was lucky if I chuckled twice in the 1.5 hours. But based on the discussion here, it sounds like it was probably very unfunny. But I'm just glad I live in a country where SNL can put that unfunny skit on the air and that

TresPuertas (OP) will not go gun down Lorne Michaels because of it.
cajunaggie08
AG
I just saw the clip. I didn't find it funny, but I sure wasn't offended by it or found it in poor taste.
boy09
AG
I still don't understand why people feel the need to let everyone know how long ago they stopped watching SNL "when it stopped being funny". Is it like a competition now or something?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

Did SNL ever do a 911 skit? I honestly can't recall. But you can see that getting some outrage.

They did several skits where Jimmy Fallon was Bin Laden and Horatio Sanz was Saddam and they'd be talking on the phone.

The scariest part of the Dakota episode was Melanie Griffith's freak face.
VanZandt92
quote:
I still don't understand why people feel the need to let everyone know how long ago they stopped watching SNL "when it stopped being funny". Is it like a competition now or something?

I'm in. Man , I watched it recently and it wasn't funny.
BigRobSA
I watched the 40th anniversary episode, or at least as much as I could stomach (made it through the "update" bit), and it wasn't even remotely funny.

I also tried watching several episodes this season. Not funny.
VanZandt92
I will say this, though: my sense of humor isn't consistent over the years.

Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
But based on the discussion here, it sounds like it was probably very unfunny.
There are several of us who thought it was quite funny.
Clavell
AG
Well it stopped being funny when I stopped watching it drunk or stoned. There could be a correlation I guess.
helgs
AG
I consider myself conservative and generally vote republican. I watched that skit and laughed. I thought it was very clever and actually did laugh out loud during it (especially at the faux-reminiscent/soft "death to America" line). I was actually incredibly surprised to find some sort of controversy about it the next day. Damn, people, lighten up. It's satire.

Actually, I was mostly offended by the lack of Alabama Shakes in the Hulu Plus stream. Bummer.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I consider myself conservative and generally vote republican. I watched that skit and laughed. I thought it was very clever and actually did laugh out loud during it (especially at the faux-reminiscent/soft "death to America" line). I was actually incredibly surprised to find some sort of controversy about it the next day. Damn, people, lighten up. It's satire.

This, all the way. I would actually argue that SNL needs to do MORE skits like it to stay relevant / in the conversation.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:

This, all the way. I would actually argue that SNL needs to do MORE skits like it to stay relevant / in the conversation.
Nothing should be off limits for a comedy show. Nothing.
JonSnow
Funny skit. OP just does not have a sense of humor. Get you panties out of a wad Francis.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
I watched the 40th anniversary episode, or at least as much as I could stomach (made it through the "update" bit), and it wasn't even remotely funny.

I also tried watching several episodes this season. Not funny.
I thought the Jeopardy skit in the 40th was hilarious. Especially when Jim Carrey played Matthew McConaughey and did a ton of voice overs. Nailed the smugness of all of the Lincoln ads perfectly.

NOTE- I did not intend to insult any posters with this opinion. If you felt insulted by this post I profusely and sincerely apologize and I hope that my dissenting opinion does not cause you pain or consternation.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
Funny skit. OP just does not have a sense of humor. Get you panties out of a wad Francis.

Watch out...
MooreTrucker
AG
With SNL, and pretty much any comedy, nothing is sacred.

And not everyone finds everything funny. But it is what it is.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Get you panties out of a wad Francis.
I hope you misquoted that on purpose.....
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
Especially when Jim Carrey played Matthew McConaughey and did a ton of voice overs. Nailed the smugness of all of the Lincoln ads perfectly.
Except he just did that bit a few months ago when he hosted. My opinion - the joke wasn't funny enough and was too new to be repeated again so soon in their biggest show to date.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
Especially when Jim Carrey played Matthew McConaughey and did a ton of voice overs. Nailed the smugness of all of the Lincoln ads perfectly.
Except he just did that bit a few months ago when he hosted. My opinion - the joke wasn't funny enough and was too new to be repeated again so soon in their biggest show to date.
Gotcha.

I hadn't seen that episode. I can see why it wouldn't be considered funny by folks that had already seen it.
Muy
AG
in the late 30's, if there were tv commercials and there was one showing a boy's parents dropping him off to get his Nazi uniform, would that have been funny too?

If SNL actually had any balls, they'd do a skit making fun of ISIS and the people who think it's a good idea to join it.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

If SNL actually had any balls, they'd do a skit making fun of ISIS and the people who think it's a good idea to join it.
Did you actually watch the skit? Because that's exactly what they did.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.