The Babadook - Aussie flick

2,405 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hogties
Hogties
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else see this movie? I saw it this weekend and thought it was excellent. Really a psychological thriller more than a horror movie. It's not just another boogeyman movie.

It was incredibly well acted and pretty damn scary. Not because of the Babadook as boogeyman, but because it depicts an exhausted, exasperated, and ultimately psychotic single mother not being able to cope with a challenging child or cope with the grief of the loss of her husband, Is the child in danger from the Babadook boogeyman or from his increasingly untethered mother? I have my own opinion. The reality of a mom's psychotic break a la Andrea Yates made this movie pretty disturbing. You know the Yates kids knew something was up with mom long before the fateful day. Same here for the kid. Worked for me on many levels.

It is at Alamo in Austin. Certainly worth a full ticket price IMO.
staedtler
Yep good discussion on it here not long ago. One of my top films of 2014.
Redstone
AG
You're just getting around to seeing it? Has been on my top 10 of 2014 list for some time now.
Hogties
AG
quote:
You're just getting around to seeing it? Has been on my top 10 of 2014 list for some time now.

If I want to see a movie I prefer the theatre vs video on demand at the house. The 2014 discussion on here alerted me to the movie. Thanks!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to. And if there's an Andrea Yates-like ending, here's a thank you for that spoiler. That thought had never crossed my mind until now, so I hope that's not what happens in the movie.
Hogties
AG
Don't worry Grammercy, the Andrea Yates reference isn't a direct plot reference, it is more of a feeling that the mom in the movie gave of being overwhelmed, stressed out, and perhaps psychotic. It made me think of moms like Andrea that have no support for difficult kids and how hard that is on the mom and the kid. That's it.

The acting by the mom and kid in the movie was outstanding.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Awesome. Thanks... I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Silky Johnston
quote:
Psssh, you're still dwelling on your top 10 of 2014? I've had my Top 10 of 2015 for some time now.
GinaLinetti
AG
It was great. Warch d it last night. So creepy
Counterpoint
AG
Just saw it. Loved it. But....

[spoiler alert]

What was the symbolism behind feeding it worms in the basement? Especially if the Babadook represented her unresolved grief over losing her husband.

[end spoiler]
tamuags08
AG
It's streaming on Netflix now for those who haven't seen it.
Noblemen06
AG
That **** was creepy. Well done.
mhayden
quote:
Just saw it. Loved it. But....

[spoiler alert]

What was the symbolism behind feeding it worms in the basement? Especially if the Babadook represented her unresolved grief over losing her husband.

[end spoiler]

*** STILL SPOILERS -- THIS FORUM REALLY NEEDS A SPOILER TAG ***

My take on it was the feeding of the worms represtented her acknowledgement that she can't just lock away the grief and try to ignore it or else it will run amok and drive her insane (the Babadook comes). You can't get rid of the Babadook, so by venturing down into the basement and feeding it she is acknowledging it (the grief/memories) will always exist, but she can control it.

Basically she's still a nut, but a functional nut.

*** END SPOILERS ***
Sex Panther
AG
Good analysis
GinaLinetti
AG
Agreed.
Hogties
AG
Exactly what my wife said too about the worms.
bedofbrass33
AG
I really want to watch this movie but I can't handle scary movies. They keep me awake at night. The Wikipedia summary will have to do.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I understand she's depressed, but did she really have to kill the ****ing dog.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:

That was the worst
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:

Right?
Hogties
AG
Thanks. I'm in Australa now and just got freaked out since I'm in an old house. Guess I'll sleep when the sun comes up
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.