Sons of Liberty on History

3,485 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Shank Ag
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starts the 25th. Anyone else intrigued?

I honestly hope they have music like they have during the promos during certain action scenes. Cheesy but sure has hooked me in during the commercials
PatAg
AG
bunch of decent actors in it.
hunter2012
AG
just looked up the trailer, I may give this one a shot. Though the Sons of Liberty would be considered an extremist or terrorist group by today's standards, I really hope they emphasize that these men were rogues in every sense of the word, it makes it even more fascinating... Saints didn't found our country, that's for sure...

My one gripe is I don't like the casting on Ben Franklin, he was 70 when he signed the declaration of independance. The guy they have playing him looks to be about 50...

I think my favorite casting for Franklin was for the miniseries John Adams.
Farmer1906
AG
Don't hate on Hank from Breaking Bad.
hunter2012
AG
quote:

I didn't recognize him with hair on... Great actor I just think he's too young...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't remember the sacking of the governors house in my history lessons. Sons of liberty taking liberties, or am i getting old and forgetful?
BurnetAggie99
Good so far.
The802
Thought it was pretty good!
aTmAg
AG
I had no idea what show was going to be. I saw a short blurb on it yesterday. I figured it would be a documentary. Then it started, and I thought, "holy crap they spent a lot of money on a documentary", "score by Hans Zimmer?", "Sam Adams was into parkour?" It didn't take long for me to realize this was no documentary. I enjoyed the pilot. Is this a miniseries or a a full fledged series?

It seems to me there are a crapload of good shows starting soon. This show, Vikings, the Americans, Call Saul, Walking dead. Not to mention those commercials for Gangland and Texas Rising look awesome too.
runlola
AG
quote:
I don't remember the sacking of the governors house in my history lessons. Sons of liberty taking liberties, or am i getting old and forgetful?
It was actually the Lieutenant Governor's home that was ransacked. He later became the Governor. Thomas Hutchinson.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Sons of Liberty were crazy mofos!
annie88
AG
Saw the first 30 minutes, need to watch the rest of that episode tonight. Pretty good, so far.

Although it is weird seeing Prince Caspian as Sam Adams....
Sex Panther
AG
I once made out with John Adams cousin

Stupe
S
I like it. It's a miniseries, so they aren't dragging anything out.
Stupe
S
quote:
Sons of Liberty were crazy mofos!
Yep.
annie88
AG
I also watch Sleepy Hollow and they mentioned the Sons of Liberty last night on their episode...
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:

I didn't recognize him with hair on... Great actor I just think he's too young...

At least he actually looks like Ben Franklin, I don't think they could have been farther off for Sam Adams, who was in his late 40's-early 50's when all this was going on, and bears no resemblance to the actor playing him.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

At least he actually looks like Ben Franklin, I don't think they could have been farther off for Sam Adams, who was in his late 40's-early 50's when all this was going on, and bears no resemblance to the actor playing him.

They wanted a younger, better looking lead that could run on the roof.
wesag
AG
Digression: It is about 50/50, but I think my son and I may be in the reenactment of The Battle of Guilford Courthouse this year, in uniform. We had to cancel Star WArs Celebration stormtrooper uniforms due to work, so this is the next best thing.

I didn't actually realize what this Sons of Liberty thing was, but I'll go back and record it now. John Adams was the definitive show on this topic, and a better dramatization than one could ever dream of.

I just wanted to throw out a few books to read if you all like this sort of thing, besides John Adams by McCullough:

Paul Revere and the World He Lived In by Forbes. http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Revere-World-He-Lived/dp/0618001948 Pulitzer Prize Winner and it gives you a great feel for Boston.

People's History of the American Revolution - this is a book with all first hand diaries and testimonies. http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-American-Revolution-Independence/dp/0060004401/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422380100&sr=1-1&keywords=peoples+history+of+the+american+revolution

George Washington's Spies http://www.amazon.com/Washingtons-Spies-Story-Americas-First/dp/0553383299/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422380243&sr=1-1&keywords=george+washington%27s+spies I can't say enough good things about this book. It is so interesting how Washington formed a spy ring outside New York and tried to infiltrate. It goes so far beyond Benedict Arnold that it is a must read for anybody interested in American history.

A Devil of a Whipping - The Battle of Cowpens. Just a good story. This is a straight up academic history book about a great American victory.
annie88
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They wanted a younger, better looking lead that could run on the roof.

Technically Adams was 42-43 in 1765, when the series started. The actor playing him is 34. So they are about 8-9 years off, but Ben is better looking anyway, so I'm good with it. Plus, maybe without the wig, he did favor him more... just sayin...
The Shank Ag
I love how the chief sponsor is Samuel Adams Boston Lager
wesag
AG
Sam Adams Light is the best light beer ever, and really just a different beer, not light in the conventional manner.
annie88
AG
wouldn't it be funny if sam adams really hated beer?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I love how the chief sponsor is Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Which is why they made Sam Adams the central character, and a young dashing hero at that.

I guess young swashbucklers sell more beer than balding middle aged engravers.
wesag
AG
The actor from the John Adams miniseries who played Sam Adams was a complete badass in his role, and completely believable. Compare and contrast please. The tar and feathering scene from John Adams was nauseating and made Sam out to be a bit of a bully.

The story of Boston is better than anything George Lucas ever imagined.
annie88
AG
quote:
The actor from the John Adams miniseries who played Sam Adams was a complete badass in his role, and completely believable. Compare and contrast please. The tar and feathering scene from John Adams was nauseating and made Sam out to be a bit of a bully.

The story of Boston is better than anything George Lucas ever imagined.
That John Adams MS was a great one! Just fantastic. Giamatti did a superb job as did most of the actors.
wesag
AG
Danny Huston I think is his name. Killer portrayal and HBO > History Channel in all aspects, I suspect.

[url=http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14223968074506&key=0da3f17dd3d3d8e710fb25246bc6e80c&libId=fe9eca8a-40df-4ee5-9ab1-ce8b216f20e5&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fhistorum.com%2Fhistory-films-television%2F37884-john-adams.html&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wearysloth.com%2FGallery%2FActorsH%2Ftve21462-20080707-1987.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Di%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26frm%3D1%26source%3Dimages%26cd%3D%26ved%3D0CAUQjhw%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fhistorum.com%252Fhistory-films-television%252F37884-john-adams.html%26ei%3Dcg3IVInRN4GxyAT4ooHgDg%26bvm%3Dbv.84349003%2Cd.aWw%26psig%3DAFQjCNE1If9ToaD04NuTthzURGkR_A6Pww%26ust%3D1422483182389425&title=John%20Adams%20-%20Historum%20-%20History%20Forums&txt=][/url]
FTACO97
AG
So I was a bit behind catching up on this on my DVR. Just finished it last night. I enjoyed it. I'm sure there were liberties taken in telling the story but overall it was an enjoyable series. I wanted it to continue and tell us the stories of the revolutionary war but realize most of the cast would not be involved. Loved the casting of George Washington, was just as I would imagine him.

Are there any other series out there to recommend that cover the war itself? Based on comments here I need to watch the John Adams series and also check into the Turn series.
VanZandt92
This is an area of passion for me. The shows you mentioned are the standouts. The Patriot was a cool movie and set in South Carolina and actually had a few real events, but overall was nothing like the real story.

Philip Seymour Hofmann does make a good appearance in PBS Liberty, which can probably be checked out from the library.

The Revolutionary War is one of the most dramatic times in our history, yet gets little attention.
FTACO97
AG
quote:
The Revolutionary War is one of the most dramatic times in our history, yet gets little attention.
Totally agree. Would love to see the team that made Sons of Liberty continue on with the War with those in the cast that play a part.
The Shank Ag
Rewatched this weekend. Still holds up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.