Awesome, bonkers trailer for BIRDMAN (Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Emma Stone)...

14,418 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
He jumped to his death. You can hear sirens down below.

That's what I thought until Emma Stone showed up and didn't react like a person who just saw her dad splattered all over the concrete.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
quote:

That's what I thought until Emma Stone showed up and didn't react like a person who just saw her dad splattered all over the concrete.

She was happy that he was no longer in pain.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
quote:
Which her face than puts the icing on the stupid cake that is this movie.

If someone can translate this to English I'd be happy to respond.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I think the ending is that he actually did kill himself on stage. Everything after that is just kind of his death rattle montage. That's the moment when the "continual non-edit" stopped and you saw cuts to the jellyfish on the beach, among other things. Everything afterwards is much more positive than before, the play went extremely well, the critic did a complete 180 and wrote a positive review, Emma Stone brought the correct flowers, etc. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the narrative.
bagger05
AG
Saw this on another site and I like it.

quote:
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignornance) is an inherently metaphorical and rather surreal film. The following text will contain spoilers for the entirety of the film.

Throughout the film, we see Riggan (Micheal Keaton) struggling with the voice of Birdman, the superhero he played in the 90's, in his head. Birdmans voice is a representation of Riggan's commercial self - the part of him that wants to quit the stage show, forget the desire for critical rather than financial success, and create more Birdman films.
Additonally;

We see Riggan using various forms of telekinesis and even flight at various stages of the film - however, these are all revealed to be a delusion created by Riggan when he lets Birdman (or his desire for financial success) overcome his desire for critical success. An example of this is when he flies across New York, landing near his theatre and walking insie - only to be followed by an angry taxi driver demanding payment, indicating that Riggan didn't fly at all, and instead took a cab, forgetting to pay as he is wrapped up in his delusion.
Meaning;

This is the film trying to demonstrate that there are two parts to Riggan - the side that thinks financial success is important, represented by Birdman, and the that believes in proving himself critically. Importantly, neither side of Riggan is "correct" or healthy - his own daughter (Emma Stone) comments on his self-obsession and his desire for acceptance at one point and links this with his seperation from his family. Both sides of Riggan simply feed into his desire for acceptance, one commercial and one critical, and as such are both just symptoms of his self obsession.
As such,

The ending of the film has him stepping outside of his hospital room after achieving critical acclaim based on his performance, financial success based on good reviews, and the love and support of his family who were previously unavailable to him. The only person who sees him out of his window is his daughter, who first looks to the floor (expecting to see a body) and instead seeing nothing - she then looks up and smiles, presumably seeing him floating there. This is her expecting to see the worst of her father when she looks at him and instead seeing the best he has to offer now that his obsession with himself and how others perceive him has been calmed by the various successes granted to him by giving his all to his performance, quite literally bleeding for the stage.

Agree or disagree with the analysis, I definitely agree that wondering whether he is alive or dead is maybe missing the point.
VanZandt92
Saw it. That **** was crazy.
Jim01
AG
quote:

It's New York City, there are always sirens going off in the cityscape.

I did not take him to die.

I interpret it differently than that text two posts above though. To me, when he took flight before the opening was more symbolic of him letting go. Of him saying, "F it! And finally NOT caring what everyone thought. Of stopping doubting himself and realizing he could do it, screw what the outcome and what everyone thought. He was checking out so he didn't care what happened after the performance." It was only then that he was calm, that he was able to give the performance that ultimately gave him attention.

It comes out tomorrow on Blu-Ray and I absolutely plan on rewatching it, so maybe my interpretation will change. But it speaks to why I loved it, that I am still thinking about it today.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
Fantastic movie!! Loved it
boy09
AG
quote:
My initial thought was that he really did kill himself on stage.
YouBet
AG
We thought it was great. Almost hypnotic to watch.

Am am I the only who thought the voice in his head was Vin Diesel? Couldn't find any credits on it so I guess it was Keaton's voice altered?

Quinn
AG
I just watched it and loved it. Awesome acting performances all around and such a unique look to the movie. No clue what the ending meant, though.
R E L
AG
SPOILERS

In an attempt to watch as many Oscar nominees as possible, I saw this (begrudgingly) and LOVED it. The best explanation I found (open to everyone's interpretation) about the ending was that he actually shot and killed himself in the theater. The things at the final scene (obvious edits, musical score change, etc.) show that it is meant to be different. The symbolic representation of the daughter bringing flowers that he can't smell, and laying them at his chest, as well as his wife asking why he did it was all symbolic of a funeral. The jump off the ledge was to symbolize that he was finally free, and the daughters smile came at the grief turned acceptance that he was finally free.

And no, he had no superpowers.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
I agree that he killed himself in the theater.
MW03
AG
quote:
I think the ending is that he actually did kill himself on stage. Everything after that is just kind of his death rattle montage. That's the moment when the "continual non-edit" stopped and you saw cuts to the jellyfish on the beach, among other things. Everything afterwards is much more positive than before, the play went extremely well, the critic did a complete 180 and wrote a positive review, Emma Stone brought the correct flowers, etc. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the narrative.

I normally don't buy into stuff like this. It comes across as the "English class trying to analyze Beatles lyrics" bit. But damn if I don't think you might be completely correct.

I'll say this much. I've never seen anything like it. It was almost manic and exhausting to watch, and I don't mean either pejoratively. The scene where he takes flight throughout the city had me on pins and needles because I was continuously waiting for a sudden splat or something.
Jim01
AG
Picked it up on BluRay during lunch. Can't wait to watch it a second time
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
quote:

It's New York City, there are always sirens going off in the cityscape.

I did not take him to die.
I can see both points of view about whether he died on stage or jumped to his death. But I don't see how you can watch the film and think he didn't die at all. How did you come to that conclusion? If he didn't die at all, then what was the scene in the hospital room?

Initially, I thought he jumped. But some of you may have persuaded me that he died on stage. Makes sense. And how would you only shoot your nose off anyways, haha?
Jim01
AG
Yeah I'll be interesting to see what I think on second viewing.

They do allude or foreshadow a botched suicide a few times.
1. The kitchen table scene they are rehearsing talks about a botched suicide.

2. Keaton himself confesses to his ex-wife that he once tried to drown himself and failed. Of course now that I think about it you could use that to further the theory he dies in the theatre. We see dead jellyfish on the shore at the beginning and end. Interpretation, this time the jelly fish didn't win (preventing his suicide), this time he won (successful).
Bobcat06
AG
This movie could have easily been called Birdman 4: The Phoenix Rises.

It starts with Keaton literally asking how he end up in a ****hole. After this, anything that can go right, does:

A horrible actor is ruining his. A freak accident (caused by superpowers?) sidelines him.

Zach Galifinakas says they will never find a replacement. Boom! Edward Norton is at the door!

Edward Norton pitches a fit on stage. It draws buzz and sells out!

Edward Norton tells Keaton "This is my town. No one knows you here." He is interrupted by tourist who want Norton to take their picture with Keaton

Keaton gets locked outside in his underwear in Times Square during a performance. It turns into a viral sensation

His daughter has recovered from rehab and is seeking his approval.

His ex-wife, who he had tried to kill years earlier, is falling all over him and telling him how wonderful his play is.

He tries to kill himself and only shoots off his nose.

However, due to Keaton's depression and ego-mania, he is only able to see the negative. He doesn't understand how amazing his life is, and so he pushes harder and harder until he goes crazy and is suicidal. The virtue of his ignorance (hence the title), makes the play a success.

The hospital scene is a denouement. It is cathartic realization that he has achieved success in all areas of his life (critical, financial and family). Birdman is present, but he doesn't say anything because there is nothing to criticize. Keaton is no longer depressed or suicidal.

However, when he looks out the window and sees the birds, he realizes there is one achievement left. To test his super powers and see if he can fly.

Emma Stone sees an open window, runs to it and looks down, but she doesn't see him on the ground. She looks up and see him flying with the birds.

TLDR Summary: Keaton lives and has both delusions and superpowers. The hospital scene isn't a change of fortune (which has been amazing the entire movie), it's just an end to his delusional depression.
Sex Panther
AG
Ha... that's a pretty unique way to look at it, and it does actually all check out.

This really was a fantastic movie. We'll see how the test of time treats it, but I think the Academy got it right.
boy09
AG
MW03
AG
I choose to believe this.
Southlake
I choose to believe Richard Parker was a tiger...
mavsfan4ever
AG
That's a cool theory. But if he actually has superpowers, that ruins the movie for me. So I'm not going to go with that theory.
YouBet
AG
Cool theory by bobcat but there were at least two scenes that contradicted his supposed superpowers. But who knows!
cr0wbar
AG
Saw it last night- pretty disappointed. Cinematography was interesting, but I didn't feel connected nor sympathy for any of the characters. Keaton doesn't excite me in the least bit, Edward Norton was engaging and fun to watch- but I was confused with the ex wife / jellyfish / random doors.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Cool theory by bobcat but there were at least two scenes that contradicted his supposed superpowers. But who knows!
If he didn't have superpowers, is the light falling on the actor he wanted to get rid of just a coincidence?
YouBet
AG
quote:
quote:
If he didn't have superpowers, is the light falling on the actor he wanted to get rid of just a coincidence?

Yes, unless the director is purposefully trying to confuse us showing scenes where he has powers and then showing us scenes that clearly contradict his telepathy.
Wrec86 Ag
Thought it was interesting. The way it was filmed made it really hard to focus in on the important parts. My eyes/mind needed a mental break.

Spoilers

Agree with the theory he died on stage and afterwards is what he imagined the world would be like had he survived.

I can't explain the light falling on the other actor, but I thought the rest of movie made it obvious that he was going crazy and didn't have them.

End spoilers
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Just finished watching this and reading everyone's opinions.

Spoiler

In regards to the ending, I don't think he died on stage. The hospital room was his nest. After shooting himself in the nose , his nose became his beak. He had surrendered to "Birdman " and now had physical affirmation he could visualize. Did you notice that Birdman didn't speak to him in the bathroom? When he had the visual confirmation (beak) he knew he could fly and jumped from the window to his death. When Emma sees what has happened, she slips into her own psychosis (narcissism) and her dad (Keaton) becomes her Birdman that will haunt her in her life. After looking down, she looks up and smiles with admiration as Birdman flys away His failure as a father comes to fruit at that point.

Great flick, superb filmmaking but man is it weird.
AgLaw
AG
^
|
|

That's a damn good theory.

Just finished watching Birdman. I am a huge fan of Boyhood, but Birdman was the best picture. From story to how it was shot, it's truely a work of art. Great, great film.

As to the sirens at the end of the film, he is in a hospital. Sirens would be a routine part of the day.
Aggies76
AG
Saw Birdman tonight and agree that it was a great film, but it did not resonate with me the way Boyhood did. And thanks for the great discussion on this thread. I would never have figured this movie out on my own.

mazag08
AG
My friend and I kept wondering if it would end. It was tough to get through it. The whole movie thinks it's more important than it is.. like Hollywood in general. I can see why so many liked it.. the continual camera shots are cool and I know filming was difficult.. just not my cup of tea, and not something I would have sat through had I known more about the story going in.
VanZandt92
quote:
My friend and I kept wondering if it would end. It was tough to get through it. The whole movie thinks it's more important than it is.. like Hollywood in general. I can see why so many liked it.. the continual camera shots are cool and I know filming was difficult.. just not my cup of tea, and not something I would have sat through had I known more about the story going in.

I agree. It was about as pleasant as Death of a Salesman, which I'd never see again. I thought it was well made with good acting, yet still transcends that to be a ****ty movie that never wanted to end.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
The whole movie thinks it's more important than it is.. like Hollywood in general.

Bingo. No way this movie should have won best picture. Cant hold a candle to Whiplash.
chick79
AG
I thought it was mediocre at best. Horrible choice for best picture.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.