Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,117,063 Views | 44385 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by YouBet
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

TCTTS said:

I miss when tv shows actually were actually shows. 8 episodes of 30 minutes is a 3 hour movie. Just make the movie at that rate.

At the very least, bring back 10 1-hour long episode seasons.
Your math makes me sad.
DallasTeleAg
This.

Just make it a 3-hour movie and be done with it. Hell, half of those 8 episodes will probably be filler, anyways. The entire business model is made to keep you paying for Disney+. It has nothing to do with giving us great content.

If they were to release a single 3-hour movie every 4-6 months, then people would sign up, watch the movie, then cancel the subscription. Releasing it over 8-10 episodes means you have to subscribe to their service for 2-3 months.
TCTTS
AG
I like this approach…

redline248
AG
I have to admit that I was (and maybe still am) very skeptical of this whole production, but reading the quotes/notes from and about the show maker are giving me some optimism.

I am also glad this is 100 years prior to Ep. 1. I, personally, didn't want any chance of a young Palpatine somehow showing up.

As far as "what is this show about?" I think based on a line from the trailer, and a quote provided above, it's about exploring what if the Jedi were seen as oppressive to other groups in the galaxy.

I do still wonder that if an actual Sith shows up, how does it not kill every single Jedi it encounters and maintain the "been extinct for a millennia" comment from Episode 1. Yoda, imo, did always have a somewhat strange reaction to that little bit of dialogue when one of the other Jedi says "Don't think they could return without us knowing."
powerbelly
AG
I agree. As long as they aren't superfans and are more focused on writing a good story.

For example: I love Filoni, but he needs someone to reign him in and just put together solid stories around his deep star wars knowledge.
powerbelly
AG
I hope it is other dark-side users who aren't sith. Keep a little continuity and give us some variation.
redline248
AG
Is this our boy Klo Ploon? How long does his species live?

TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

I have to admit that I was (and maybe still am) very skeptical of this whole production, but reading the quotes/notes from and about the show maker are giving me some optimism.

I am also glad this is 100 years prior to Ep. 1. I, personally, didn't want any chance of a young Palpatine somehow showing up.

As far as "what is this show about?" I think based on a line from the trailer, and a quote provided above, it's about exploring what if the Jedi were seen as oppressive to other groups in the galaxy.

I do still wonder that if an actual Sith shows up, how does it not kill every single Jedi it encounters and maintain the "been extinct for a millennia" comment from Episode 1. Yoda, imo, did always have a somewhat strange reaction to that little bit of dialogue when one of the other Jedi says "Don't think they could return without us knowing."

I love this basic idea, but it's one the entire trailer should have been built around.

Open with, say, the black witch character, played Jodie Turner-Smith, speaking of an oppressive force (no pun intended) in the galaxy, mixing in her already existing lines in the trailer. Basically, spend the first 30 seconds or so building up/teasing this menacing group whom we're sure are the new villains of the series, have another character ask something along the lines of "Who could ever wield such power?" then CUT TO: light sabers being ignited by a group of Jedi, answering that very question.

There's your "Oh sh*t" moment, and I'm all the way in.

From there, preface the already existing tagline with a title card or two that says something like...

"BEFORE THE CLONE WARS"

... series of shots...

"BEFORE THE PHANTOM MENACE"

... series of shots...

"IN AN AGE OF LIGHT"

... series of shots...

"A DARKNESS RISES"

... etc, etc.

Something along those lines.

Otherwise, there's no hook in this trailer. There's no conceptual framing, no historical framing, and no contrasting it to everything we've already seen before.
YouBet
AG
It does seem like common sense would have dictated a grounding of the time period since this is the first series this far outside of the Skywalker time line.
redline248
AG
I understand your gripe with the trailer. For argument's sake, like you said it's a teaser, and probably more than anything something they put out for us superfans. They are aware most of that trailer already leaked, so they are just kind of throwing us a bone to see the official release in high quality video. Maybe they are saving more "meat" for the next trailer?
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, but I'm not even really talking about "meat." Just more of a conceptual approach, which teaser trailers are usually perfect for, then you really lay the groundwork for the story itself in the full trailer.
The Porkchop Express
redline248 said:

Is this our boy Klo Ploon? How long does his species live?

Wookiepedia says the kel Dor live 70 + years so kinda iffy on Master Plo, but he is Filoni's favorite so who knows?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is exactly what the trailer was missing.
The Collective
AG
Had a long day and just checked out the teaser. It didn't pull my interest strings at all. Ugh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Plaguies is about 15 when The Acolyte takes place.
TCTTS
AG
MASAXET
AG
redline248 said:

I've seen a few people online referencing that comment about sith being extinct and how it'd break canon if sith are in this. But isn't the whole point of the prequels that the Jedi were dead wrong about that? The sith weren't extinct - somehow Palpatine [emerged]. I think it could still make sense to have sith here and it not break that unreliable narrator comment.

Having said that, I'd love to see it be non-sith
redline248
AG
MASAXET said:

redline248 said:

I've seen a few people online referencing that comment about sith being extinct and how it'd break canon if sith are in this. But isn't the whole point of the prequels that the Jedi were dead wrong about that? The sith weren't extinct - somehow Palpatine [emerged]. I think it could still make sense to have sith here and it not break that unreliable narrator comment.

No, the discussion isn't whether the Jedi were wrong about it, they 100% were wrong. The Sith literally stayed hidden from the Jedi for 1000 years.

What I'm saying is that if the group of Jedi in this show encounter a Sith, and even 1 of those Jedi survives, then how could the later Jedi think the Sith were gone?
jokershady
AG
redline248 said:

MASAXET said:

redline248 said:

No, the discussion isn't whether the Jedi were wrong about it, they 100% were wrong. The Sith literally stayed hidden from the Jedi for 1000 years.

What I'm saying is that if the group of Jedi in this show encounter a Sith, and even 1 of those Jedi survives, then how could the later Jedi think the Sith were gone?
this was brought up on Screen Crush's breakdown of the trailer…..and pretty much said that to make that scene not break canon every one of those Jedi that's going after the dude with the red saber needs to die
BenTheGoodAg
AG
There are over 100 quadrillion beings in the in Star Wars galaxy. What are the odds that there are more than two factions that use the force?
redline248
AG
jokershady said:

redline248 said:

MASAXET said:

redline248 said:

this was brought up on Screen Crush's breakdown of the trailer…..and pretty much said that to make that scene not break canon every one of those Jedi that's going after the dude with the red saber needs to die
The more I think about it...there could be another way. Like, 1 of those young Jedi survive, and get back to the temple to tell the story. It's a fairly unproven Jedi and so the rest of them are like, "uh...yeah we aren't so sure about that." 100 years later when Qui-Gon recounts his experience, all the Jedi (except Yoda) on the council haven't heard the story about whatever happens. Yoda had heard about it, but never really figured it was true...

Literally all he says is "Ah, hard to see the dark side is." Neither confirming or denying.
redline248
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

There are over 100 quadrillion beings in the in Star Wars galaxy. What are the odds that there are more than two factions that use the force?
We know for fact there is at least a third. The Nightsisters.

What we don't know is if there are any other Force using factions that also use lightsabers. That is, as far as I know, fairly unique to Jedi...and the red blades are even more unique to Sith.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yoda is definitely clapping Yaddle's cheeks throughout the time of this show.
TCTTS
AG
I find this very hard to believe...

redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

Obviously I have no idea, but I'll tell you what this show has that none of those others do. Actual Jedi at the height of the Jedi order.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

There is no way that is true.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

I could come up with reasons why they'd fib about this but it'll be a big derail….

So let's just say it's due to trying to hype up Disney + to show its profitable…..

But on the official Star Wars YouTube channel it only shows 7 million views…..so while yes there's other means of watching a trailer, there's no way it's at 50+ million….

For comparison, the YouTube channel for Entertainment Tonight also posted the trailer and it's only at 39k views….
Ornithopter
AG
It doesn't have to be the Sith, it could just be a Jedi who gave in to the dark side of the force.
redline248
AG
Very well could be. Someone who out nerds me in Star Wars lore will have to chime in on the red blade, though.
Ornithopter
AG
redline248 said:

Very well could be. Someone who out nerds me in Star Wars lore will have to chime in on the red blade, though.

I can help with that.

Turning to the dark side corrupts the kyber crystal, turning it red.
YouBet
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

I could come up with reasons why they'd fib about this but it'll be a big derail….

So let's just say it's due to trying to hype up Disney + to show its profitable…..

But on the official Star Wars YouTube channel it only shows 7 million views…..so while yes there's other means of watching a trailer, there's no way it's at 50+ million….

For comparison, the YouTube channel for Entertainment Tonight also posted the trailer and it's only at 39k views….
I don't even have to look at numbers. Common sense says a trailer with no recognizable actor taking place in a time period only the truly hardcore fans even know about would ever get more views than Obi Wan or Ashoka which were probably two of the most anticipated shows Disney+ has put out.

People were salivating over both those shows including myself. We never anticipated the first one would be one of the biggest disappointments and laughably inept shows we've seen in the last five years and the second one would just be average to good depending on the episode.
redline248
AG
Ornithopter said:

redline248 said:

I can help with that.

lol, I don't think it's that simple.
jokershady
AG
Ornithopter said:

redline248 said:

I can help with that.

there was sort of a thing about this already in the best episode of Star Wars Visions in season 1 and dang if it wasn't awesome!!!!
The Porkchop Express
redline248 said:

I'm busy right now. Maybe tomorrow.
First Page Last Page
Page 1255 of 1269

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.