November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,257 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
Simplebay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
is that kevin spacey doing the countdown? i heard a kevin spacey twang in there
Simplebay
AG
also it looks phenomenal. Very cool that they used the date of the moon landing as the access code

[This message has been edited by Simplebay (edited 7/30/2014 2:10p).]
Vander
AG
Wow! I don't think a trailer has ever felt so epic and so emotional at the same time. This legitimately feels like we're watching humanity at the beginnings of being an intergalactic civilization. The storyline possibilities with this subject matter are immense. This may be one of the greatest scifi movies of all time. Nolan captures that feeling of "wonder" that has been missing from scifi for a while now as it's gone grimdark. Nolan is basically meshing the wonder of Star Trek/Stargate with the grim future reality of Battlestar Galactica. It's an amazing accomplishment and one I can't wait to see in IMAX.
bigjohn1
AG
Wow!
jeffk
AG
Here's the text of the poem quoted at the end of the trailer:

quote:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas
Icecream_Ag
S
the poem from Dangerous Minds
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
I love that last shot in the trailer, bet it will look incredible in IMAX.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
am i the thread a-hole for thinking, "it looks like contact"?
Silvertaps
AG
quote:
am i the thread a-hole for thinking, "it looks like contact"?

Nope, I thought the same thing.
I haven't read much about this movie, but from what I gather...Earth is becoming uninhabitable, coincidently a habitable planet or wormhole has been discovered, so an expedition is put together to investigate.
Seems like a repeated theme/plot with a better cast if true...hope I'm wrong.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To me it looks like a cross between 2001 and Contact, with a splash of Gravity and a little Star Trek (2009) thrown in for good measure.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
When McConaughy started speaking at the beginning about looking up at the sky and wondering about our place in the stars, I couldn't help but think that he'd move into weird crap like time being a flat circle and that human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution.
TCTTS
AG
Can we not have more than one Contact? Why is that a bad thing? That's one of my favorite movies of all-time. But there ARE differences...

quote:
I haven't read much about this movie, but from what I gather...Earth is becoming uninhabitable, coincidently a habitable planet or wormhole has been discovered, so an expedition is put together to investigate.
Seems like a repeated theme/plot with a better cast if true...hope I'm wrong.

The wormhole isn't coincidental. Because Earth is going to hell, a higher intelligence basically offers us a bridge/means to try and save ourselves. So, yes, in one way - unseen aliens "contacting" Earth from across the universe - it's somewhat like Contact. But the entire premise/reasoning is completely different. That, and Interstellar takes place 50 years in the future (though I'm not quite sure that aspect is still in play - it's definitely in the future, but Nolan may have shortened that time span since the initial draft). There's also a world-wide urgency to Interstellar that Contact lacks. McConaughey and co are trying to save humanity. Contact was basically about one woman's journey, strictly out of curiosity. Interstellar deals with all kinds of radical time-bending elements too, and the entire second half of the movie takes place in space / on another planet. In Contact, she didn't even leave Earth 'til the third act.

Regardless, it's been 17 years. And if Christopher Nolan wants to take a stab at something kind of sort similar, I'm all for.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
When McConaughy started speaking at the beginning about looking up at the sky and wondering about our place in the stars, I couldn't help but think that he'd move into weird crap like time being a flat circle and that human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution.

Speaking of, I really don't think I would be nearly as excited after this trailer had it not been for TD. Changed my perspective on McConaughey
Bruce Almighty
AG
I know I'm way in the minority here, but I'm starting to get bored with Christopher Nolan movies. I have always loved his films, but starting with Inception, I'm starting to notice how his everything he does seems to lack emotion as of late. TDKR was the first Nolan movie I was kind of meh about. Man of Steel had the same feel to it. The scenes are so dull and grey and even the music is overly melodramatic. I'm really wanting to like this, but the trailer didn't really excite me.
TCTTS
AG
I totally get where you're coming from, but this one actually looks way more emotional than his past efforts. Have heard the same from people who have seen it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I wasn't comparing it to Contact in a favorable way. I didn't like Contact. I side with Mr. Garretson from South Park on Contact.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Wow - can't wait.
In the trailer you can see some snippets of scenes from the early script that they've kept. And judging by the tone of the trailer, will make the theatre quite...dusty.
hunter2012
AG
Wow am I late to this party. For starters, awesome trailer and hopefully this is the last one(anymore risks plot elements). Although I'm getting the vibe that the late acts will be very different from the script...

As for the poster above, everything points to this being Nolan's most emotional movie yet. I think what can be a turnoff for many is the fact that he seems to hone in on a particular emotion in each movie, whereas most directors go for a range. So essentially it's hit or miss if you identify with the targeted emotion.

I'm going to try to see this with in Imax film(how Nolan shot it), hopefully there are several in Texas to choose from...

[This message has been edited by hunter2012 (edited 7/30/2014 5:51p).]
heddleston
AG
So i've avoided this thread since it started b/c i knew this was something special and i didnt want to spoil any of it for as long as possible.

Then this trailer came out and i couldnt resist. HOLY MOSES. I cant wait to see this. It makes me wanna go buy a telescope and hug my wife all at the same time.
Professor Frick
AG
[Wrong forum for that kind of posting. -Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 7/31/2014 3:21a).]
TravelAg2004
AG
I'm sure most of you caught this, but thought it was really cool.

Access Code: 7201969
Date of Apollo 11 Landing on the Moon: 07-20-1969

The more I see, the more it really appears like Nolan is using this to "re-engage" people the excitement and hope of space travel. Between having the first trailer show 3-4 weeks early at the Air & Space Museum and little bits like this, I'm getting super pumped!
Jim01
AG
HOLY HELL YES! Such an epic trailer. As a parent I was tearing up and him leaving his kids. Can't wait for this one!

And TCTTS, I am with you, I am a big fan of Contact. Always felt like that movie was too harshly judged.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wasn't MM in Contact as well? Haven't seen it in years.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Yes, one of my top 5 scifi movies of all time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MM was the religious adviser in Contact (and also banged Clarice).

When she admitted to not believing in God because of science, he stumped her with asking her to prove scientifically that she loved her father.

Believe this was debut of Jake Busey on camera as the guy who you see and think "Holy sheet, that guy is as ugly as Gary Busey."
HvilleAggie
AG
incredible...

IMAX for sure
wangus12
AG
quote:
I feel like I can share this and not be judged here.. I might have teared up after watching that trailer. Might have.

You are not alone. Especially since space exploration is one of my loves and I'm currently trying to get into a new grad program to further my cause.

Looks amazing! McConaughey has come a long way as an actor in my book. IMAX for sure.
Silvertaps
AG
quote:
The wormhole isn't coincidental. Because Earth is going to hell, a higher intelligence basically offers us a bridge/means to try and save ourselves. So, yes, in one way - unseen aliens "contacting" Earth from across the universe - it's somewhat like Contact. But the entire premise/reasoning is completely different. That, and Interstellar takes place 50 years in the future (though I'm not quite sure that aspect is still in play - it's definitely in the future, but Nolan may have shortened that time span since the initial draft). There's also a world-wide urgency to Interstellar that Contact lacks. McConaughey and co are trying to save humanity. Contact was basically about one woman's journey, strictly out of curiosity. Interstellar deals with all kinds of radical time-bending elements too, and the entire second half of the movie takes place in space / on another planet. In Contact, she didn't even leave Earth 'til the third act.

Regardless, it's been 17 years. And if Christopher Nolan wants to take a stab at something kind of sort similar, I'm all for.

Watched the trailer again during Guardians of the Galaxy. Pretty sure Interstellar is a prequel to Wall-E.
mid90
AG
quote:
I feel like I can share this and not be judged here.. I might have teared up after watching that trailer. Might have.

somebody started cutting onions when he was saying goodbye to his daughter.....
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:

You are not alone. Especially since space exploration is one of my loves and I'm currently trying to get into a new grad program to further my cause.

Looks amazing! McConaughey has come a long way as an actor in my book. IMAX for sure.

aerospace? orbital mechanics?
TCTTS
AG
A pretty great round-up from Vulture, Everything We Know So Far About Interstellar...

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/interstellar-christopher-nolan-everything-we-know.html

There's one paragraph summarizing the original draft of the script, which I might consider spoilers, otherwise, overall it's a pretty cool development timeline/summary. Definitely worth checking out.
TCTTS
AG
And I finally had the time to cover the latest trailer at my blog, if anyone's interested. Mainly of note, I found out that the music is NOT from Zimmer's score, which is somewhat disappointing, as I really loved the track used in the trailer...

https://ted-smith-hejq.squarespace.com/blog/2014/7/30/final-awe-inspiring-trailer-for-interstellar
mid90
AG
went to see GOTG this weekend; was very excited to see the new interstellar trailer in a theater

NOPE

got to see no less than 3 trailers for movies based on futuristic dystopian young adult novels instead
TCTTS
AG
That sucks. I've been lucky enough to see it with both GOTG and TMNT. Each time the audience got absolutely silent and was super into it. Saw one at Cinemark and the other at AMC, and they both showed like 5-7 trailers before their movies. It's kind of crazy. Most other theaters only show like three.
Kate Beckett
AG
A little late to the party here, but saw the trailer in GOTG and TMNT this weekend, and it looks epic and interesting. Always been interested in space and space travel so I definitely cannot wait to see this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.