Health Insurance Cost

2,711 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Texas Yarddog
TJH_16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't have insurance through work, and wife is stay-at-home form now with our second child. Plan this setup for a few more years but wondering what people's healthcare cost as percentage to net pay is? Mine is 12% for 4 of us, seems high month-to-month and wondering what other options to look into or if this is pretty much the norm.
gabehcoud
juan
TJH_16
AG
Through an employer?
Ag_0112358132134
What is the dollar amount you're paying? There is no percentage that is the norm because everybody's monthly income is different.
TJH_16
AG
Paying over $700
Ervin Burrell
AG
Why don't you just not get sick instead of b/tching about it to us?
TJH_16
AG
We are pretty healthy, oldest kid gets stuff at daycare sometimes and we just had another 4 months ago so there's that. Other than that we don't have much costs associated with healthcare other than the premium
jwoodmd
TJH_16 said:

We are pretty healthy, oldest kid gets stuff at daycare sometimes and we just had another 4 months ago so there's that. Other than that we don't have much costs associated with healthcare other than the premium
Not sure you know how health insurance works.
FIDO*98*
AG
TJH_16 said:

Your wife is a stay at home mom and you send your kid to daycare? You can afford health insurance
maroon barchetta
What sweatshop do you work in that doesn't have health insurance?

Or is it garbage insurance or really expensive to add dependents?
TJH_16
AG
Explain to me what you are getting at
TJH_16
AG
Farming with my father
TJH_16
AG
Yes SAH w/4 month old. 4 yr old goes to half day just 3 hrs.

I should have asked, through employers what are people paying for a family of 4 so I can compare to marketplace pricing.
Dr. Venkman
AG
$500 individual deductible, $1500 family deductible. I pay 20% after deductible is met up to out of pocket max. $2400 out of pocket max individual, $7200 family. $30 copay office visits.

I pay $290 monthly, my employer pays $1900 monthly.
Ag_0112358132134
TJH_16 said:

Paying over $700
If you're paying $700-800 per month for insurance, that is dirt cheap these days. I don't pay for my health insurance, but I looked at the sheet when it was sent out, and for a family plan it would be like $1500 a month.
TJH_16
AG
Ok appreciate it
TJH_16
AG
$290 for yourself only or family members on it?
Beckdiesel03
AG
We were in your shoes for several years and after Obamacare F'ed the prices up we found a broker that got us a short term policy. It's cheaper but it's not going to cover things like pregnancy. It will cover accidents and big stuff and the deductibles aren't bad. We were young and healthy with 2 young kids so it was a no brainer. The only thing is the timing is such that they don't go back to back to back coverage. They would for accident but not sickness. I wouldn't say it's something you want to do for years on end but it saved us a ton of money over the crap marketplace plans. It was like $425 for a family of 4 in 2019. Ours was through United Healthcare.
TJH_16
AG
Going to look into this for next year thanks
AGpops1923
I've got BCBS of Texas hmo. I pay $1200 a month for myself, wife and college daughter. Wife and I are 55 daughter 21. Our deductible is $7k per person or $14k max family. It sucks to pay that much, but it just paid a **** load on my wife's breast cancer surgery, chemo and radiation. We paid $14k out of pocket plus monthly premiums the last year and a half. They've paid over $200k. It's catastrophic coverage basically.
TJH_16
AG
Praying for complete healing for your wife. So sorry to hear that.
We are in the same kind of deductible range. Just looked and we spent less than half a month's premium toward the deductible as a family this year. Fortunate in that aspect for sure.
wangus12
AG
Through my wife's job. We don't have kids, but if we did it would cost $426/month. $500 individual deductible/$1250 family. 20% coinsurance. OOP max is like $8000.
StockHorseAg
AG
Look into Christian Healthcare Ministries. I work in Ag at a job where I don't have healthcare through my employer and that's what I use. If you're overall a healthy family it's pretty nice.
TJH_16
AG
We have seen this, when you file something is the process pretty easy to get reimbursed? And yes we are healthy so that'll be an option thanks for the reply
Tatem
My husband's family plan is part of his benefits package but it's about $720 a month for the family plan, increasing again next month
Gigem_94
AG
StockHorseAg said:

Look into Christian Healthcare Ministries. I work in Ag at a job where I don't have healthcare through my employer and that's what I use. If you're overall a healthy family it's pretty nice.

Similar to Medishare. I had looked into this a while back and it was significantly cheaper. Didn't have the complaints you see with insurance companies. Even my doctor said they had no issues with it. I think you have to pay up front though and get reimbursed which would likely be the only drawback. If I didn't have insurance through work this would be my choice.
StockHorseAg
AG
We haven't hit the 1k deductible yet for either of the three of us so I haven't had any experience on what the process of getting reimbursed is like. But from what I have heard it is easy and pretty painless if you keep good records of receipts. My wife was a project manager in O&G before she went full time stay at home so she's good at keeping track of those.

Another nice thing about CHM is that they look at all of your kids as one unit. So even if you were to have six kids, you're still only paying the equivalent of if you had one.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Please do not compare anyone's group plan from their employer prices to yours. Contractors and small business truly get hosed in the market place for insurance.
strbrst777
Do you know that medicare premiums are means tested based in income per tax return. I know a single person who in 2024 pays $539 for Part B and $74 for Part D. Total is $633 per month. The supplement is around $225. Total $858. And the individual was socked another $520 per month medicare tax. Total $858. Some pay more. The upward adjustments are termed Income Related Monthly Adjusted Amounts (IRMAA). Only Gov can get away with such price discrimination.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Why doesn't your farm set up a group, then go to market? You could come up with some cool options like a high deductible plan, with a HSA. Your company (farm) could contribute to the HSA for out of pocket expenses. All of it should be tax deductible.

You shouldn't be just purchasing it individually if you have a business.
fc2112
I'm generally against socialized healthcare, but the private healthcare industry keeps trying to sell me on the idea.
agracer
AG
fc2112 said:

I'm generally against socialized healthcare, but the private healthcare industry keeps trying to sell me on the idea.
It will be far worse. You're taxes will triple and you won't be able to see a doctor for much of anything.

I read somewhere that 50% of Canadians now have their own private health insurance b/c the cannot get treatment under the gov. plan. So they go to the same gov. facility, after hours, to see the same doctors that work for the gov., but are now on "their own time" to get treetment.

Personal story, son tore his ACL at a football game. Saw a surgeon the next day, had MRI 4-days later (had to wait over the weekend) and had surgery to repair it 3-weeks later. Took that long b/c surgeon said swelling needed to go down.

In Canada, he's have been waiting months just to see the surgeon, more months to get the MRI and since he does not technically need an ACL to work or live, the gov. med plan could have denied the surgery. Even if they did approve it, again, months to get it repaired. He was healed and thru physical therapy int he time it would have taken him to get treatment in Canada or the UK.

The UK came out about 5-years ago and old obese people and smokers they would not get some non-life saving treatments until they lose weight and/or stop smoking. Not a bad idea really, but it was for cost reasons, not b/c they wanted them to get healthy.

IF the gov. controls your healthcare, the control you. Oh, sorry mr FC2112, you made a post we didn't like on Texags...we're going to have to consider weather or not your child really needs that medical treatment.

The VA in AZ had a waiting list for vets for treatment. They lost the list twice. Vets died waiting on treatment on a list that got lost twice. You really want that?

Imagine going to the DMV, only it's to get in to see a Dr. That's what you'll get with gov. run healthcare.

We don't have health insurance in this country. We have health maintenance plans. If our car insurance was like health insurance, it would cost 5x as much and our oil changes would be a the same $59,99, but now it's a co-pay and the insurance gets billed $800 and the 'agreed amount' is $200.
Teslag
AG
I pay $240 or so a month. Office visits are about $30 normally. $100 deductible individual $200 family. Max out of pocket per year $1,000. Wife had a tumor removed and was in the hospital for a week. Since she went to the ER for the condition first (then admitted to hospital) they only charged us $50 for the whole thing. I had a wrist surgery and it was about $35 total.
SidetrackAg
AG
Teslag said:

I pay $240 or so a month. Office visits are about $30 normally. $100 deductible individual $200 family. Max out of pocket per year $1,000. Wife had a tumor removed and was in the hospital for a week. Since she went to the ER for the condition first (then admitted to hospital) they only charged us $50 for the whole thing. I had a wrist surgery and it was about $35 total.
Damn, who you have insurance with?!
Teslag
AG
Tricare. Literally the only reason I'm still in the Army Reserve.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.